The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another Calif Boss 302 Yay or Nay thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like them. Much better than the gloss black with the machined lip. You could plasti-dip your wheels for short money and if you don't like it just peel it off. A buddy dipped his E350 wheels and they held up really well, even through the crash that totaled the car.

I have to agree with the polish lip. Its not for everyone, however the day will come when these wheels will be hard to find sense they only came on the Boss. Change your wheels or plastic dip them but keep them.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
superhero said:
I have to agree with the polish lip. Its not for everyone, however the day will come when these wheels will be hard to find sense they only came on the Boss. Change your wheels or plastic dip them but keep them.

I had a set of flat black wheels, with black flares on the wheel edge, black tires , it was there was this huge Void where the wheels were, I like It much better with bit of contrast/high light...

I was also thinking of the matte black but it seems they always look dirty on the cars I have seen them on. I like our machined edge because the first time you kiss a curb with all black wheels it will stand out like a sore thumb. It is easy to have the silver edge repaired but another story for all black.

I'm not a huge fan of black wheels (says the guy that owns two sets) so I vote gunmetal. I've seen them on a 2013 with the matte stripes and they look good. Another member has them on a SBY so look around and you might find the photos.

Since it's a matter of personal taste there's no "right" answer, but on a personal level I am really repulsed by the black wheel, black tire look........as said above, it leaves a black hole in the wheel wells that just lacks esthetic appeal. For track purposes it probably doesn't matter much, function over form, but for street use some style should prevail. I get the sense there's an age factor in this as well. Old goats like me grew up when "custom" wheels were a new thing and what we now call bling was the objective for the most part. Today the younger guys seem to go with the flow of their time. The F14 type wheel, being a more contemporary style, does seem to look more "right" with less shine/polish. While I can't abide all gloss or matte black, the gunmetal offers some contrast, though in alternative but similar wheels a platinum or anthracite offer just that bit more I would find more appealing.

Has anybody put an anthracite wheel on a SBY Boss? That's the direction I think I'd like to go but I've never seen it done.

Boss0960 said:
Has anybody put an anthracite wheel on a SBY Boss? That's the direction I think I'd like to go but I've never seen it done.

I've got a pic a couple up from the bottom here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1913.msg129597#new

Those wheels were chosen more to emphasize the polished rim so may not have enough color for your answer, but it's one example.

TMO Supporting Vendors