The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another Drive Shaft Supplier Option

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
All,

I came across this company here (see below link). They have an impressive resume working with the likes of NASCAR Nextel Cup & BUSCH Series, Craftsman Truck Series, NHRA, IHRA, SCCA, NSCA, SCORE to name a few. They also work with the likes of the Tremec transmissions company for those interested in the new S197 (includes Boss) Tremec T-56 Magnum transmission conversion. Tremec is recommending this company when looking for a new drive train which will be required if you make this MT-82 conversion. I believe they have a Carbon Fiber wrapped Aluminum drive shaft also. They do a lot of custom work to and will work with you.

This company offers both 3 1/2" steel one-piece and Aluminum one-piece units. The steel shaft is claimed to be 13 lbs lighter than OEM and they're charging 499 for this unit. The Aluminum shaft is 21 lbs lighter than OEM and they're charging 730 which includes free shipping. I think this is less than what the DSS Aluminum drive shaft costs. More info can be found here:

http://www.dynotechengineering.com/MustangDriveshaft_files/slide0001.htm

and here:

http://www.dynotechengineering.com/

For me personally, I got too much on my plate to start this particular trans conversion. I'd like to try out the MT-82 for at least a year to evaluate this unit before I decide to swap or not. I should be taking delivery within 2 weeks of my 13 LS. I have so many little BS mod things I want to get done to the car first before fall/winter sets in this year. For now - I'll stick with the MT-82 with the MGW shifter but I am very tempted to make the switch.

Cheers,

MMD

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
"This company offers both 3 1/2" steel one-piece and Aluminum one-piece units. The steel shaft is claimed to be 13 lbs lighter than OEM and they're charging 499 for this unit. The Aluminum shaft is 21 lbs lighter than OEM and they're charging 730 which includes free shipping. I think this is less than what the DSS Aluminum drive shaft costs."

I got my DSS shaft on sale from Lethal Performance for 10% off Memorial Day sale, $684 shipped.

Dvendet

ace72ace said:
"This company offers both 3 1/2" steel one-piece and Aluminum one-piece units. The steel shaft is claimed to be 13 lbs lighter than OEM and they're charging 499 for this unit. The Aluminum shaft is 21 lbs lighter than OEM and they're charging 730 which includes free shipping. I think this is less than what the DSS Aluminum drive shaft costs."

I got my DSS shaft on sale from Lethal Performance for 10% off Memorial Day sale, $684 shipped.

Arithmetic time boys and girls.

To find the original cost of the DSS drive shaft ace72ace would have paid without the applied discount of 10% he mentions, the equation is:

X - 0.1X = $684

Find X (the original DSS drive shaft cost according to ace72ace)

X(1-0.1) = $684

Then rearranging and solving for X we get:

X = 684/(1-0.1) = 684/0.9 = $760

Hmmm. Now isn't this more than the $730 I indicated? (keep in mind the Memorial Day sale is probably over by now I think).

Stay tune for your next lesson - saving money on superchargers!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
MakeMyDay said:
ace72ace said:

Arithmetic time boys and girls.

To find the original cost of the DSS drive shaft ace72ace would have paid without the applied discount of 10% he mentions, the equation is:

X - 0.1X = $684

Find X (the original DSS drive shaft cost according to ace72ace)

X(1-0.1) = $684

Then rearanging and solving for X we get:

X = 684/(1-0.1) = 684/0.9 = $760

Hmmm. Now isn't this more than the $730 I indicated? (keep in mind the Memorial Day sale is probably over by now I think).

Stay tune for you next lesson - saving money on superchargers!
its 719 plus shipping around 34 bucks. how much is shipping for the dynotech shaft?

Justin

My cousin called me yesterday to ask me where I bought my driveshaft cause he was tired of his driveshaft vibrating at highway speed. He has a 11 GT Automatic, he has a dynotech alum driveshaft. He commented "I want it to be like when I drove your car, nice and smooth". I laughed said its a DSS and he said I thought so. He said he wished he would have waited for DSS cause he really liked how smooth mine was compared to his for the same price.

Just thought I would share the opinion of someone that has drove a new 5.0 mustang with both. I havent drove his in a long time so I cant remember if he had this driveshaft or not when I did.

Dvendet

Justin said:
My cousin called me yesterday to ask me where I bought my driveshaft cause he was tired of his driveshaft vibrating at highway speed. He has a 11 GT Automatic, he has a dynotech alum driveshaft.
Question:

What do the last 33 NASCAR champions (Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Camping World Trucks) over 11 years, the 9-second stock-motor Evolution Performance 2011 Mustang GT, the world’s fastest prop-driven boat (209mph), 3 time NMRA Pro 5.0 Champion Donny Walsh, 7-time American Le Mans Series Champion Pratt & Miller, 3-time FIA Pro Stock Champion Michael Malmgren, 4- time NMRA Hot Street Champion Charlie Booze and every modern Ford Cobra Jet Mustang all have in common?

Answer:

Every single one of them was putting power to the racing surface with a driveshaft from the folks at Dynotech Engineering in Troy, Michigan.

FYI - Dynotech manufactures shafts for about 85 to 90 percent of the NASCAR teams. I'll tell Tony Stewart next I see him about your cousin. I wonder what he'll say.

MMD

Justin

that may be the case but doesnt mean that there driveshaft doesnt vibrate on my cousin's car. Thats what we call the real world. But by all means buy the driveshaft you want. I am just telling others of someone I know first's hand experience with there product. I had a dynotech driveshaft on my 96 cobra and it worked great on that car. They just didnt get it right with the 11-13's I guess. From all the forums he searched he said that there is only two that have gotten the driveshaft not to vibrate, DSS being one of them.

Dvendet

Justin said:
that may be the case but doesnt mean that there driveshaft doesnt vibrate on my cousin's car. Thats what we call the real world. But by all means buy the driveshaft you want. I am just telling others of someone I know first's hand experience with there product. I had a dynotech driveshaft on my 96 cobra and it worked great on that car. They just didnt get it right with the 11-13's I guess. From all the forums he searched he said that there is only two that have gotten the driveshaft not to vibrate, DSS being one of them.
Do you know that Dynotech has 100 percent vibration-free guarantee? Did your cousin ever speak to Dynotech regarding his vibration issue? They stand behind their warranty. Also, I believe Dynotech would really like to hear about any issue any customer has with their products. I think the issues your cousin had are the exception and not the rule. Dynotech's driveshafts are second to none. Your cousin's comments are the first time I've heard a negative about this company.

Also, are you aware that Dynotech manufacturers the GT500 and Cobrajet driveshaft?

MMD

has your cousin or yourself taken that shaft to a local to you drivetrain shop and had the balance checked? or are you continuing to drive around on the shaft in its current state?

Justin

MakeMyDay said:
Justin said:
Do you know that Dynotech has 100 percent vibration-free guarantee? Did your cousin ever speak to Dynotech regarding his vibration issue? They stand behind their warranty. Also, I believe Dynotech would really like to hear about any issue any customer has with their products. I think the issues your cousin had are the exception and not the rule. Dynotech's driveshafts are second to none. Your cousin's comments are the first time I've heard a negative about this company.

Also, are you aware that Dynotech manufacturers the GT500 and Cobrajet driveshaft?

MMD
he did contact them they told him he needs to do this alginment procedure. Look man I am about sick of you and your comments towards me. I am just providing what my cousin told me regarding his dynotech driveshaft. Unlike you he owns this driveshaft. So until you actually have one I dont think you have a leg to stand on.

gremlinsteve said:
has your cousin or yourself taken that shaft to a local to you drivetrain shop and had the balance checked? or are you continuing to drive around on the shaft in its current state?
I live in Va Beach he lives in PA I only see him about once every 4 months. He hasnt taken it in. Its not a crazy vibration just an irritating one that happens at highway speeds.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
From all that I have read so far, and seen first hand via pictures and anecdotal evidence, Justin seems to know what he's talking about. Whether it be from first hand experience with a dozen or more cars he's personally owned or worked on, or the hundreds of hours or turning his own wrenches. I also liked using Zaino and Adams Polishes products. Granted the cost and time investment required for Zaino isn't for everyone. There are much more cost & time effective solutions for comparable performance & results, which is purely subjective to the eye of the beholder. But when it comes to mechanical issues on Boss Mustang, it's great to hear right from the source, someone that does their own work, and shares their knowledge.

Bottom line, I'd trust Justin's first hand experience and knowledge than some quote pulled of some website about 20 Time Race Champion Ricky Bobby recommends Max-Pax tampons and Brand X driveshafts.

Whether you intend to or not, or just don't care, the manner in which you (MMD) present your opinions or 2c on this forum are often condescending/insulting/derisive/dismissive or all of the above.

Justin

ace72ace said:
From all that I have read so far, and seen first hand via pictures and anecdotal evidence, Justin seems to know what he's talking about. Whether it be from first hand experience with a dozen or more cars he's personally owned or worked on, or the hundreds of hours or turning his own wrenches. I also liked using Zaino and Adams Polishes products. Granted the cost and time investment required for Zaino isn't for everyone. There are much more cost & time effective solutions for comparable performance & results, which is purely subjective to the eye of the beholder. But when it comes to mechanical issues on Boss Mustang, it's great to hear right from the source, someone that does their own work, and shares their knowledge.

Bottom line, I'd trust Justin's first hand experience and knowledge than some quote pulled of some website about 20 Time Race Champion Ricky Bobby recommends Max-Pax tampons and Brand X driveshafts.

Whether you intend to or not, or just don't care, the manner in which you (MMD) present your opinions or 2c on this forum are often condescending/insulting/derisive/dismissive or all of the above.
thank you

Dvendet

Justin said:
MakeMyDay said:
Justin said:

MMD
he did contact them they told him he needs to do this alginment procedure. Look man I am about sick of you and your comments towards me. I am just providing what my cousin told me regarding his dynotech driveshaft. Unlike you he owns this driveshaft. So until you actually have one I dont think you have a leg to stand on.

As usual Justin, you never address the issue discussed. If someone doesn't agree with you, you go ballistic. How sad. Have you ever thought about seeking professional help to address your anger management issues?

ace72ace said:
I also liked using Zaino and Adams Polishes products. Granted the cost and time investment required for Zaino isn't for everyone. There are much more cost & time effective solutions for comparable performance & results, which is purely subjective to the eye of the beholder.

You are a real piece of work. Nothing can address your intellectual deficiencies but it would be in your best interest to seek professional help for your emotional issues. Get help!

Justin

MakeMyDay said:
Justin said:
MakeMyDay said:
Justin said:

MMD

As usual Justin, you never address the issue discussed. If someone doesn't agree with you, you go ballistic. How sad. Have you ever thought about seeking professional help to address your anger management issues?

ace72ace said:
I also liked using Zaino and Adams Polishes products. Granted the cost and time investment required for Zaino isn't for everyone. There are much more cost & time effective solutions for comparable performance & results, which is purely subjective to the eye of the beholder.

You are a real piece of work. Nothing can address your intellectual deficiencies but it would be in your best interest to seek professional help for your emotional issues. Get help!
What issue havent I addressed? Regardless if they make driveshafts for NASCAR doesn't mean that they make the best driveshaft nor doesnt it mean that there driveshaft in a real world car doesnt vibrate. You sir are the one that goes off the deep end cause you get offend when someone says contrary to what you believe. Instead of bringing in quotes or finding people with this driveshaft to back your story you refer to tony steward.....

I am done talking about this as I know I have a great driveshaft that doesnt vibrate and my cousin has a driveshaft that does and has told me through his research that they vibrate for lots of other people and that almost all of the brands do except two brands one of them being DSS.

So for me I will go with people that own the driveshaft over what there marketing ploy is on there web page. As for the others that read this thread thats the choice I hope they make.

and here i am thinking this crowd is a lot better than the mopar hemi crowd and there whiney bs...

every shop out there has issues....in my opinion its what you do and how you attempt to fix that issue that counts.
if they will not address that vibration issue i say flame on...

if they dont know about it or have been contacted about it how are they to know they have a issue. sometimes is there suppliers giving them bad parts.

i say contact them asapi

Justin

gremlinsteve said:
and here i am thinking this crowd is a lot better than the mopar hemi crowd and there whiney bs...

every shop out there has issues....in my opinion its what you do and how you attempt to fix that issue that counts.
if they will not address that vibration issue i say flame on...

if they dont know about it or have been contacted about it how are they to know they have a issue. sometimes is there suppliers giving them bad parts.

i say contact them asapi
he has they told him he has to have it aligned he is going to try that as soon as he can.

MakeMyDay said:
Justin said:
MakeMyDay said:
Justin said:

MMD

ace72ace said:

It is perfectly appropriate for everyone to share their personal experiences and detailed factual information on the forum. That's how we all learn. There are some things that work perfectly and others that involve tradeoffs. It is NOT acceptable to make personal attacks on other members for sharing their experiences. As they said in Dragnet, "just the facts ma'am". It doesn't mean we can't have fun or stray off topic but making personal attacks just doesn't work so it needs to stop.

I've refrained from posting in this thread since I used after-market driveshafts on my GT500 and had varying experiences, but I haven't installed one (nor do I intend to) on the Boss. I had a one-piece aluminum Dynotech on my GT500 without vibrations when I had an adjustable UCA. When I went to a Griggs torque arm without pinion angle adjustment, I had vibration that felt like the car was coming apart at 80 mph. I switched to a DSS aluminum/chromoly 2-piece and it solved the problem. It's not a condemnation of Dynotech, it's just their product wouldn't work in my application. By sharing that I hopefully saved others the headache of going down that path if they had my similar suspension setup. DS vibration has been an issue with the S197s since the '05 models were released. It's why you have a 40+ lb 2-piece from the factory since Ford didn't want a bunch of owners coming into the dealers with NVH issues. The fact is some Mustangs with 1-piece driveshafts will have it and some won't. Some can be solved with proper pinion angle adjustment and some can't. That's simply a fact proven by thousands of Mustang owners over the past 9 years with these cars. Owners considering a 1-piece aluminum driveshaft should be aware of the POTENTIAL pitfalls. Your results may vary.

TMO Supporting Vendors