The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another heads up on running banked tracks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is the right front tire off of one of the mustangs that ran at Homestead in T2. We had 3 cars in that class, with marginally different set ups, the biggest being types of coil over shocks, in any case, the SCCA rules package for T2 now requires the cars to run 275x18 tires, limited to 3 degrees of camber and a smaller restrictor. This had the following effect, the smaller tire, of course took a bigger beating than the 295 or 305 tires used prior, secondly, the lack of camber also created an adverse situation, even the smaller restrictor conspired against us as now the drivers could run flat out through the banking, when before, with a larger restrictor they had to let off in the bank, now they could drive flat through the corner.
Two other items contributed to this, 1, is the drivers were using a lower line through the corner, moving up the track greatly increased tire longevity, and 2, it rained the night before creating a "green" track, increasing tire wear.
All of these led to an increase in tire wear beyond acceptable limits, to combat this, pressure was increased slightly, (more on this later). The driver's line had to be changed, and we scuffed the right side tires in on the left side of the car in the qualifying session (this tire was scuffed on the LR, then shifted to the RF for the race).
This tire basically lasted about 26 laps.

While I'm unable to publish tire pressures, this particular car ran about 3 psi higher cold pressures than the other 2, while a greater increase in tire pressure was recommended by Hoosier, there is a serious caveat there. If you increase pressure too much, the tire slides, more steering input, creating heat, creating pressure and then it will get out of hand, degrading the handling of the car, and possibly creating an even more dangerous tire situation. I had been mapping tire/temps for 2 days prior to this in order to keep all the cars within our acceptable hot range, I "fudged" this pressure on the right side to try and extend tire life and still stay within our performance limits. it looks like I guessed just about right.

Whenever you run banking, don't be afraid to run extra camber..extra, not excessive, and monitor across the tread tire temperatures for any clues to tire degradation, lastly try and scuff the tires on the right side of the car (banked to the left), monitor tire wear, run a higher line and inspect the tires often. "Mapping" the pressure and tire temperatures is also the best idea to stay ahead of problems.

rbt9RVVl.jpg

Rob, thanks for sharing this.

Read your description, but please just clarify if this tire was on the loaded (outer) or unloaded side of the banking?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Great info as usual Rob! I really hope it encourages more people here to do their own pressure charts/maps...more proof that it pays to learn this stuff.

DocB said:
Read your description, but please just clarify if this tire was on the loaded (outer) or unloaded side of the banking?

Looks like the right/passenger side (and outer since the referenced 'scuffed' tire was moved from LR to RF).

DocB said:

Scuffed in as a left rear, since that was the least used tire, it was rotated to the right front for the race. A sticker tire would not have lasted the race.
This tire was on the RF, in a left turn bank at Homestead, I assume that is what you meant by the "loaded" tire. For those who have been around awhile, they'll remember AJ's tires from Daytona and his T1 win, they were a little "thin" as well.
Banking adds a whole new dimension to the tire aspect.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel