The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another justification for the Tiger hood...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From Race Tech International Case Study Radiator Efficiency...

"...it was decided not to make any changes to the duct intake, but rather the modifications would focus on the alteration of the duct exist. The fact that the duct exist may affect the amount of air that is drawn through the intake may seem a paradox, however, we must not overlook the fact that the conservation of mas dictates that the air mass that exists the duct is equal to the mass entering it. Thus, by identifying ways of improving the exist of flow from the duct, we can expect to gain an increase of mass flow at the intake, and as such through the radiator...."

Thanks for posting. This just validates what I inferred to be the case. I can't wait to get it on track and see what temps are doing, both oil and water.

I concur.... ;D It always seemed to make sense to me that the more air being pulled or pushed out would equate in more air entering. Just as the study suggested this is generally true of all mass. You can't move more mass to a location if there is no space for it to be move to. And more specifically, for air it is all around us. When ever there is a vacuum at the first given opportunity air will rush in to fill it. So the faster and bigger amount of air you move the faster and greater volumes of air will move in.

This is why I think the hood will perform above it's expectations. And as a benefit the downforce will be greatly increased. Win win for us track rats.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
There is also an infered drag reduction as well as negative lift ie downforce. The air is flowing through the warm radiator and has a clear path to exit above the hood instead of packing up under the hood causing lift and drag as well as a mass of hot air not allowing efficient heat transfer from the engine bay. This hood is a win/win on all fronts even if some of the improvements are small they are improvements.
Steve

steveespo said:
There is also an infered drag reduction as well as negative lift ie downforce. The air is flowing through the warm radiator and has a clear path to exit above the hood instead of packing up under the hood causing lift and drag as well as a mass of hot air not allowing efficient heat transfer from the engine bay. This hood is a win/win on all fronts even if some of the improvements are small they are improvements.
Steve
Not to mention it looks killer ;D So if I pick up 4 seconds a lap will it be the hood, TracKey, or the harnesses ??? What if I'm slower? :eek:

cloud9 said:
Not to mention it looks killer ;D
That it does. I should just order one... Hey did you check on that photo for me?

drano38

Wayne
I agree, that in order to get more air across the radiator, we need to let air out.
As an airplane pilot, I see the cowl removed on our airplanes for maintenance. They control the airflow across the cylinders with baffling, ensuring all are cooled evenly, and that the air has a way out.
Higher horsepower airplanes have cowl flaps, which are simply small doors that can be opened varying amounts at the back of the engine bay to control air outflow. We literally control cylinder head temp with the doors. High rpm - open doors for more airflow. Cruise at moderate rpm - close or almost close them.

If incoming air has no where to go, it can't come in.

Of course, Gary ruined motor temp scientific research by doing a gazillian mods at once this winter, so someone else will have to do it right to get some data. ;D

drano38 said:
Of course, Gary ruined motor temp scientific research by doing a gazillian mods at once this winter, so someone else will have to do it right to get some data. ;D
I couldn't help myself :'( Actually the only "cooling" mods will be the hood and the oil cooler. I would think I'll still get good data from CHT with respect to the hood. The oil cooler shouldn't significantly impact that.

As a ex Navy flight engineer,.....if I didn't open the oil cooler flaps (basically a electrically driven outlet door for an air to oil mini radiator) the engine oil temp quickly rose to the max limit......same principle. I would definately think that hood would make a big difference.

jec246

cf6mech said:
As a ex Navy flight engineer,.....if I didn't open the oil cooler flaps (basically a electrically driven outlet door for an air to oil mini radiator) the engine oil temp quickly rose to the max limit......same principle. I would definately think that hood would make a big difference.

I wonder if I could get a hood like that! :p
I think motorized vents would be pretty spiffy.

JScheier said:
cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Hey did you check on that photo for me?
Unfortunately I don't have an online subscription to Grassroots Motorsports.....

What photo do you need? I have most of the latest GRM mags (Free with NASA Membership).
So do I but I'm terrible about holding onto things and tossed mine. I think he's looking for the KB Boss with the Tiger hood.

TMO Supporting Vendors