The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another reason not to buy a Z/28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every time I see a brand new car wrecked on the track I feel sad, what a waste!
It reminds me why a track car should be the one that you don't care if it gets wrecked and left in the track dumpster as long as you are safe.
I am glad he is ok.
To be a learning experience, what do you guys think he did wrong?
Too much throttle followed by rumble strip turbulence then a complete lift off??

What a horrible death rattle. Airbag? I am guessing the clanking after is him trying to crank it? Seriously? Leave it be until you know you didn't break the suspension or puke oil. If it starts what are you gonna do, spread fluid on the track?

And yea, this is why I want a $2k miata so I can learn. But for that money I could make the Boss perfect (for me).

Piss poor driving there. What's he doing jerking the wheel to the left with the gear shift right before he loses it??? He should have had a nice smooth increasing radius arc there.

Wow that's similar to what happened to the guy I was chasing. I wonder if there's a handling problem with the car? Quick someone call Ralph Nader!

HackBoss302 said:
Everyone makes mistakes, more than one Boss has found the wall over the last couple years? Too bad he had to learn the hard way. OnStar however would be the first thing I would remove.

I bet GM integrates OnStar into the onboard electronics like how they use the radio for the door chime. Might not be that easy to get rid of. I like the idea of it though, for a street car. Everyone passing by an accident just assumes someone else called. The OnStar operator sure was surprised though lol.

Not what I needed to see as I'm packing up for RA this weekend. Those gator strips where he lost it are at least 6" high! I've seen the NASCAR boys (and gals) go over those taking turn 5 wide and doesn't even seem to upset the car. You put your Boss out there and you won't go wide again!

I've only put in a few days at RA so can someone help me understand where he came from?! It looks like he's entering Turn 5 from where we normally exit the track. Where he turns right into Turn 5 you're normally coming down the second longest straightaway at 160 mph from the opposite direction turning left up to the Corvette bridge that you can see off in the distance up the hill before he crashes.

That sucks and hopefully it's not totaled, or it may just become a race car on the rebuild.

13Boss#3328 said:
To be a learning experience, what do you guys think he did wrong?
Too much throttle followed by rumble strip turbulence then a complete lift off??

Yah. I've never run that configuration at Road America. The exit of that right hander is actually the apex of T5 which has some camber (it's a left turn), so that made it off camber for him. He was very injudicious with the throttle the whole video. Probably hit the off camber, got a bit loose forcing him to the right, lifted alittle (for the upshift) and then jumps on it again.

Here's video of the whole track. You can see the Corvette bridge after Turn 5 where he lost it, except you're coming from the opposite direction into 5. They must have some alternate track layouts for certain events?

http://youtu.be/g1tVJVZ6k4A

cosm3os said:
Yah. I've never run that configuration at Road America. The exit of that right hander is actually the apex of T5 which has some camber (it's a left turn), so that made it off camber for him. He was very injudicious with the throttle the whole video. Probably hit the off camber, got a bit loose forcing him to the right, lifted alittle and then jumps on it again.
I would agree. Once he was on those gator strips was the time for some throttle discretion.

That other video clearly shows a different config. Normally if you screw up 5 in a big way, you'll be dealing with something a lot worse than a bumper cover and quarter panel replacement. You're literally doing 160 DOWNHILL into a roughly 110* left hand turn. Like cosm3os said there's some camber there and a TON of grip. Once you learn that turn you realize you can take it very fast and brake fairly late.

WinterSucks said:
The scary thing is you have to fight your natural reaction to get off the gas completely. That is what has me worried.

Trust me--you learn it the first time you screw it up! I did going sideways off the "jump" at Grattan. Haven't lifted since!!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
2 car crashes don't make a trend, but it does seem a little easy to over-cook and spin.

I wonder if the original video footage with Randy Pobst had some info why he thought the Boss put the power down better...

Grant 302 said:
I wonder if the original video footage with Randy Pobst had some info why he thought the Boss put the power down better...

...because ancient, outdated technology called the solid rear axle :p jk, or am I? Idk.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel