The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another s197 clutch thread: except this time for a v6

What aftermarket clutch would you recommend for the S197?

• ACT street/strip Organic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spec Stg 1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mcleod GT twin disc retrofit

• Other

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recently noticed a change in clutch pedal feel in my 2011 3.7 PP on my usual NYC commute. Pedal felt vague and inconsistent, but initially there were no issues driving the car normally around town. Eventually did some test pulls to see if there was any additional symptoms and was met with high rpm gear lockout on the 1-2, 2-3 shift. This obviously raised a red flag in my head, so I figured I'd baby it while researching clutch replacements.

Fast forward to Sunday night, driving home from a wedding, hit some traffic after a 30 min highway cruise and discovered the clutch pedal was in the floor. In a panic I hooked the pedal with my toe and pulled it up, and pumped until I had pressure/a working clutch to limp home. For the rest of the ride home, no issues shifting just the same lumpy/nonlinear clutch feel. Decided not to risk any damage and park the car until I diagnose/replace whats wrong. No visible leaks or missing brake fluid in the reservoir (recently bled with Motul RBF600), but I'm suspecting the clutch slave cylinder is on its way out. Given the fact that the CSC is internal, I figure I might as well replace the clutch/flywheel while I'm in there.

After researching some forums I've seen many people are running Exedy and Mcleod clutches with success on 5.0 cars, especially in alleviating the high RPM lockout. Unfortunately, neither company makes a direct replacement for the 3.7 car. Ford has discontinued both the factory clutch and dual mass flywheel, so that isn't an option. I've heard that a handful of people have retrofit GT flywheels/clutches with mixed success, but I'm not looking to take the car apart multiple times if something doesn't fit correctly (or pay the labor to do so).

I started to narrow down myaftermarket options to the following, but would appreciate input from those who have more experience with aftermarket mustang clutches:

-Spec stg 1 with aluminum flywheel (heard mixed reviews about Spec) ~$800 plus CSC
-ACT street/strip organic clutch with XACT flywheel~$900 plus CSC
-AMR Mcleod GT twin disc retrofit kit ~$1200 including CSC https://automafiaracing.com/mafia-11-17-3.7l-v6-mcleod-twin-disc-clutch-kit/p119928

Any way you cut it, I'm looking at 900-1200 for parts alone so I'd prefer to do this the right way ONCE lol

Also curious what the clutch slave cylinder replacement of choice is amongst the track crowd (Mcleod, Exedy, Ford, etc.)

Currently leaning towards the ACT clutch/flywheel, but any insight y'all might have would be greatly appreciated

-J

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Had a Spec one and its was fine at the street but when I got to 400rwhp it stank, as in really smelled bad, at the track... Would but my hand in the fire for a Spec 2+ (four racing seasons and was still ok).. But the Spec 3 was seriously lousy... Lasted about 4 hours. rivets fell apart.... 470rwhp

Went to exedy now, looks great and well made., looking forward to trying it out one day.

I have a spec in my gt500, works well, but I would've bought the exedy had it been available. I would stay way..way away from dual disc clutches. The one in my gt500 almost made 24K miles.
The exedy single was for the most part, the weapon of choice in IMSA for years, but first, I would make sure you have no hydraulic issues with the master cylinder before dumping the big bucks.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I was told by 2 trans rebuilders to stay away from organic clutch facings, they're just not going to live with the heat generated at road courses. Drag race stuff is OK for 12 seconds at a time, not so much for 20 or 30 minutes of high temp thrashing.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I'm with our friend from Chile and have had good luck with SPEC +2. I went their light weight steel flywheel. Works well on the track. On the street there's very no noticeable chatter either.

I have a spec in my gt500, works well, but I would've bought the exedy had it been available. I would stay way..way away from dual disc clutches. The one in my gt500 almost made 24K miles.
The exedy single was for the most part, the weapon of choice in IMSA for years, but first, I would make sure you have no hydraulic issues with the master cylinder before dumping the big bucks.
Check the master and lines to trans, saw no leaks. Then rebled the clutch multiple times with no improvement to pedal feel. Car has a NASTY rattle at start up, so it's been parked for the past week. I'm thinking its the clutch slave/throwout or the dual mass flywheel has come apart (there are a few instances of this happening on other 3.7 cars). Either way the trans has to come out, so I might as well replace it all...

Unfortunately due to supply line and manufacturing issues, most clutch companies seem to be backed up and I had a hard time finding a clutch/flywheel in stock. Wound up ordering a RAM HDX billet flywheel/organic clutch kit rated to ~400hp (well over my lowly 305 crank hp) from Summit. After speaking to RAM, the single mass flywheel dictates shorter 5.0 coyote flywheel bolts, so ordered a set of ARP flywheel bolts as well. Finally, I ordered a replacement Ford CSC/throwout to complete the package.

Should have all the parts here by Thursday to get this thing back up and on the road. Will update with what I find after taking it all apart

Thanks all for the insight,
-J

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Does the V6 use the same clutch slave as the GT? No personal experience, but I've seen a few threads about swapping the GT CSC with the GT500 version using a spacer from Kohr Motorsports. Depending on stack-up height, there's a suggestion that the GT CSC might be at the limit of it's extension with some aftermarket clutches. Just throwing it out there.

TMO Supporting Vendors