The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

(Another) Tiger Hood Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Got the BOSS back from paint this morning, looks absolutely awesome w/ the new hood and LS wing. Got my 302S grille painted as well, that will go back on later.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic, pics from a real camera later today/tomorrow. Going to install Sparco pins in a couple weeks.

CxBOJ.jpg

It looks fantastic and I like the WC splitter too. Have you noticed any difference in cooling on track between the 302S and billet grilles?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
It looks fantastic and I like the WC splitter too. Have you noticed any difference in cooling on track between the 302S and billet grilles?

I don't have any empirical data on the grilles but I have used both on track and not had an issue with either one. I don't even think I've seen the engine go to "H" yet. I have replaced 36oz of coolant/water with 3 bottles of Water Wetter dumped into the system, however. :)

Looks awesome! In for more pics, including the 302S grill.

What's your opinion of running the hood without the hood pins? Not stable/reliable enough for the track?

What's your opinion of running the hood without the hood pins? Not stable/reliable enough for the track?

They're absolutely fine without the hood pins. Have 3 cars we've set up this way - all see track time @ 120+ MPH. No flutter, no worries.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CoolTechLLC said:

They're absolutely fine without the hood pins. Have 3 cars we've set up this way - all see track time @ 120+ MPH. No flutter, no worries.

Do you guys see any cracking around the latch mount? I'm worried about this area fatiguing over time.

CoolTechLLC said:

Thanks for the input. I love the hood. I don't love the hood pins so much. I'm not a hood pin nazi, but it just doesn't seem like something I want on my own car.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Berol said:
CoolTechLLC said:

Thanks for the input. I love the hood. I don't love the hood pins so much. I'm not a hood pin nazi, but it just doesn't seem like something I want on my own car.
maybe call these guys if you want stealth hood pins.
http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/hoodpins.html

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I don't think those will be effective as the load is placed only on the 8 sheetmetal screws on the underside latches. My guess is that would just rip out of the hood, especially in Fiberglass.

Typically you want latches that attach to the topside of the hood load the pin and pole assemblies which are rigidly mounted to the upper radiator support.

ArizonaGT said:
I don't think those will be effective as the load is placed only on the 8 sheetmetal screws on the underside latches. My guess is that would just rip out of the hood, especially in Fiberglass.

Typically you want latches that attach to the topside of the hood load the pin and pole assemblies which are rigidly mounted to the upper radiator support.
I'm not a big hood pin guy either, but I've had a surprising number of compliments on my hood pins....not that it matters that much to me...function over form ;) I was worried that they might crack around the pins as well, but as you can imagine I've put mine through some pretty harsh testing and no issues whatsoever. I've seen a couple that were in wrecks and they survived some wicked trauma....better than the aluminum would have for sure.

Guys im now completey freaking out dead as balls serious to get this hood !

Questions

You order it from that guy(forget his name) i can get it and...
1. Have it delivered to a body shop to get it painted to your liking ?
2. Bring your car(and a friend with a pickup for the old hood) to the shop when its done ?
3. I like the famous pic with the black matte but want the gloss black thats on my CO BOSS - Paint shops can do it anyway you want ?
4.Who installs the hood pins ? (I cant cause i suck)
Theres a guy here that has a CO with the way i kind of want it
:p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LP Heaven said:
Guys im now completey freaking out dead as balls serious to get this hood !

Questions

You order it from that guy(forget his name) i can get it and...
1. Have it delivered to a body shop to get it painted to your liking ?
2. Bring your car(and a friend with a pickup for the old hood) to the shop when its done ?
3. I like the famous pic with the black matte but want the gloss black thats on my CO BOSS - Paint shops can do it anyway you want ?
4.Who installs the hood pins ? (I cant cause i suck)
Theres a guy here that has a CO with the way i kind of want it
:p

1. Paul Brown @ Tiger Racing will sell you one directly, but I bought this one used from a former BOSS owner.
2. We picked it up using a pickup truck, however you could drive there without your hood and install it--bring the latch bar and bolts from your stock hood.
3. Yes, but you should get a bunch of good pictures to show them what you're trying to achieve. This could also be done with vinyl.
4. I'll install my own, have done it before. Otherwise find a local race shop.

TMO Supporting Vendors