The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another tire thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking ahead to 2018 I want to get a set of dedicated track tires for 19X11 wheels. I have SC2's currently and while they are fantastic tires, they are wearing very quickly (duh) and I feel like I am not utilizing them to their full potential given my current skill level.

Based on some research it looks like my best bet would be RS4's or RE11's for a tire that will not wear too quickly but also provides a good amount of grip on track. Is there another tire I should consider? I have MPSS for street use which were good on track but I was wanting for grip.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Shaved RS4s are decent.

Could try PS4S also....drove them once and they were impressive. Stay 30 aspect or consider shaving too.

Best bet is Hankook RS4. Not quite as grippy as the RE71R but handles heat better and wears much longer. No need to shave either. The other option is Yokohama AD08R as the also wear well and good to the last drop but they are pricey compared to the other options.

PS4S and Conti Contact Sport are a step down in grip level over the 200 treads are tires.

Peter

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
I was the Hankook Canada track-side rep for 4 years. We saw (empirically) that the RS3/4 compounds ( similar, largely) achieved max consistency and durability on heavy, front-end cars (like Mustang) if shaved appropriately...depends on street/track duty split.

Cannot speak to RE71R.

Good luck - both are excellent choices.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel