The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another Track Key question!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Boss only came with the black key. Though I was promised the red key it has not materialized. I bought a Track Key a few days ago (or so I thought). The package came today but no key only a sticker and paper work.

How do I get the red key?

Thanks for any help.

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Docgab,

Go back to whomever you purchased your Boss. It comes with two keys - the one with the Silver emblem and one with the Red emblem. Can't do anything without them. It can be replaced and this will need to be done before you can get your Red key programed.

Those big keys have circuitry in them and that is where part of the programming takes place.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The red track key is available through any dealer.

If you requested a Track Key, they most likely assumed you had the key which is included with the car from ford.

I ordered a second red key from my dealer, no problem. Key arrived. Then I learned only one red key can be programmed at a time.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The track key was not intended to produce more horsepower.

What I notice the most is the control the track key offers. Throttle response as well as engine braking are enhanced. The improved, subjective, idle and sound from the engine is a plus.

Hope this answers your question Cobra.

cobra said:
Does the red key give you any more horsepower.

Plenty of TK discussion on this forum if you do a search on the topic.

Guys who have dyno-ed their Boss with both the regular and Trackey seem to report a slight increase in mid-range torque on their dyno charts. General consensus seems to be that TK does not increase peak HP, a few reports to the contrary notwithstanding.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There is no difference in WOT on a dyno with the TK, but the part-throttle pull of the car is much stronger on the butt dyno out on the road course.

Figured I would just post under this thread...Got a question about the "lopey idle" when using the track key. I just got it installed yesterday and left the dealership. After driving for about 3 minutes,message popped up that said "track idle enabled" or something like that. Sounded great after that! Car was really rumbling at the lights. So any way...I get home and turn the car off for a few minutes then start it up to show my neighbor the lopey idle and its gone. Let the car run for a few minutes and no message or anything. Am I missing something? I'm assuming the idle only comes on after the engine is warmed up, but it was pretty much warm when I started it. Is there some trick?

cbj5259 said:
Figured I would just post under this thread...Got a question about the "lopey idle" when using the track key. I just got it installed yesterday and left the dealership. After driving for about 3 minutes,message popped up that said "track idle enabled" or something like that. Sounded great after that! Car was really rumbling at the lights. So any way...I get home and turn the car off for a few minutes then start it up to show my neighbor the lopey idle and its gone. Let the car run for a few minutes and no message or anything. Am I missing something? I'm assuming the idle only comes on after the engine is warmed up, but it was pretty much warm when I started it. Is there some trick?

The lopey idle is enabled when engine temp reaches 170 deg F for at least 130 seconds AND the engine is not at idle (and there are no PCM "P300" engine codes thrown). When you're out driving around the "Trackey Engine Idle Enable" message will pop up on your center display (and you should hear a chime simultaneously) when these parameters have been met, no action needed on your part.

If you turn off your car after the lopey idle has been enabled, everything resets and after re-starting you have to wait another 130 sec with the engine at 170 deg and the engine not at idle before the lopey idle will re-enable. If you're stationary, just wait a few minutes at idle and blip the throttle and you should see it come on. Kind of a pain, but that's how they implemented it. It does dramatically illustrate the difference for bystanders, though, to hear it go from normal to lopey.

If you received your Trackey voucher paperwork, owner instructions are included that cover this, or you can read about it here... http://trackey.ford.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

TMO Supporting Vendors