The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another track video - FR500S MMP west track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

day after track attack. MMP was a really impressive facility...and I came to really appreciate the subtleties of the west track...truly a fun track to drive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lqxr66H9c8[/youtube]

That looks like fun.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Obviously you figured out the trick to the West Course -- if you aren't all over the curbs you is going too slow. Looked like you were cooking pretty good and you definitely enjoyed " Scream " like many do -- great corner.

Thanks for posting .

Man that brings back some memories of playing cat and mouse with roketman. Those FR500S are just a blast to drive. A little light on power, but absolutely raw and extremely agile. I need to get back out there, but in MY Boss. Thanks for posting.

the fr500s was a very rewarding car, I thought...and, of course, I really enjoyed getting to know the boss a little better.

I cam away really impressed with MMP. I'm somewhat spoiled in living so close to a couple great tracks (Laguna and Sears Point)...but I will be back to MMP for sure. One of the things I really appreciated about MMP was the design-for-safety aspect...I did wad up a car at fairly high speed at Laguna about a year and a half ago...just not a lot of foregiveness on that track...this was one of my first days back in a car on track and I, actually, felt surprising settled. I read, recently, something the effect of: "good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement." here, here.

fuhrius said:
the fr500s was a very rewarding car, I thought...and, of course, I really enjoyed getting to know the boss a little better.

I cam away really impressed with MMP. I'm somewhat spoiled in living so close to a couple great tracks (Laguna and Sears Point)...but I will be back to MMP for sure. One of the things I really appreciated about MMP was the design-for-safety aspect...I did wad up a car at fairly high speed at Laguna about a year and a half ago...just not a lot of foregiveness on that track...this was one of my first days back in a car on track and I, actually, felt surprising settled. I read, recently, something the effect of: "good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement." here, here.
Oh great spook me as I get ready to run there for my first time next month. ;) Have you been to ThunderHill?

I have driven thunderhill...one of the craziest experiences I've ever had was running the 24 hours of lemons at T-Hill...raining on and off...186 (or something like that) cars gridded. can you imagine 186 cars on that track - and all the crap falling off all those cars...oh my.

t-hill's a fun track. Laguna and Sears Point are far more technical and far more dangerous. T-hill has good runoff, and as long as it's not muddy and you're going off straight, you're in pretty good shape running off at T-hill. Laguna and SP, not so much. My incident was in a 'classic' bad spot at Laguna, exit of turn 4. It's fast there (for Laguna) and if you run off on exit there's a good chance you'll still have a little steering angle in the car as you make a continual sweep back track right for 5. I was pushing hard to keep up with higher HP cars there (as there's a decent bit of straightaway b/ 4 and 5, I was in a boxster on street tires running with two very quick guys, one in a 996tt on slicks and one in a 997gt3 converted to near-cup car build...I wasn't keeping up, I was trailing by a couple seconds a lap and just pushing too hard, chasing lap times)...ran out of room on the exit, stayed in the throttle, the car wasn't loose at all, didn't think I was really going to run out of room...but as soon as I it the last bit of rumbles the car lost that a bit of grip and I dropped two tires, trying to get it straightened out, but hooked it back across and spun a fair way down the straight and into the inside tire wall. It's an increasing radius turn where you can generate a fair amount of speed...my exit speed there was consistently about 95mph.

you'll also notice, at laguna, that on alot of the corners, in the last few years, the dirt just off the track has a ditch (most likely from water runoff) which, I suspect, is going to make keeping anything going straight really challenging. bottom line, keep you car on the track at Laguna. And double that advice for SP...there is basically no room for offs at SP.

with that said, relax and remember you're at Laguna...and it's a DE (which I had let myself forget)...it's a spectacular place to drive.and ENJOY!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors