The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another Trak Key Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've only used the TK for a few weeks now. When I start the car, The dash shows a message that lets me know I'm using TK. I click "ok" on the steering wheel. Then at some point I will glance at the dash and see that the trak key message is on again. So, I click "ok" again. Then I don't get the message any more. Is that normal?

I've had mine installed since the first week it was available last November and I still get both messages every time I start my Boss. Is yours a 2013?

It should be one when you start it, then one when the idle kicks over to the lumpy one. The wording of the messages is different. IIRC the trigger for the idle is 2 minutes after the head temp hits a certain temp.

5 DOT 0 said:
I've had mine installed since the first week it was available last November and I still get both messages every time I start my Boss. Is yours a 2013?

Yes, it's a 2013. If it's happening to two others, I suppose it's normal. It just seems odd to me.

Yeah, normal. The manual supplement talks about it I think. First one is the CARB compliance one, which states track key is active and is only for off-road use. The second one tells you that the idle kicked over, which is based on temp of the motor. It is basically a go ahead and stomp on it notification, as the motor is warmed up. Thus why there are two, one for CARB and one to let you know the motor is warmed up. Kind of like how BMW M cars have the tach where the redline starts low and moves higher as the motor warms up.

It seems like the exhaust sounds different even when not idling after it kicks on, so it might also affect the mapping to keep it on a tamer tune until warmed up. But that is just my theory.

TMO Supporting Vendors