The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another "where is my oil going?" thread....sorry....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ived searched around and read the different threads on this and it seemed like the oil consumption would quit after break in or around 5k-7k miles.

Well my last oil change was at 7757mi and I filled with Amsoil 10w40.
Well,
1487mi later I added 1/2qt
2210mi later I added 1qt
1047mi later I added 1qt
1296mi later I added 1qt
1132mi later I added 1qt

Seems pretty exessive no? I just change my oil today to Mobil 1 5w50 and seafoamed to see if maybe that will help. What say the gurus? Thanks!

I would be posing this question to the dealer while it's under warranty, seem excessive to me. Mine did stop after a few thousand miles, a little here and there but not like that.

I bought my '12 Boss w/ 2500 miles on it. Used approx. 3 quarts until 7000 miles or so. Brought it to dealer with the concern to document a possible oil consumption issue. From 7000 miles to 10,000 miles the Boss used about a 1.5 quarts: Car was in for another concern, but I asked the oil level be checked due to prior complaint of oil loss. I continued to monitor the oil level and had the 15k service done. Lost close to a quart from 10k to 15k. From 15k to 20k I have not seen much oil loss at all. I have also noticed significantly less oil accumulating in the oil separator. I drive my car daily with a few track days a year. The '12 GT I traded for my Boss also consumed oil at about the same rate. It seems these engines, Boss or standard 5.0, use oil early in their life. Just my experience. Hope it helps.

I'm at 18,000 miles and still burn through 1.5-2 quarts between oil changes. I switched to Mobil1 at 5,500, but I think i'm outside any break-in period... trip to the dealer is in my near future.

I've owned a 2012 and 2013 Boss. I have never added more than 1/4 qt and that is only after a 100 plus mile track day. Both cars have seen numerous track days early in their life. 2012 hit the track at just over 1k and the 2013 just over 100 miles new. Either I'm lucky or a hard break in seems to do the trick. My guess is I'm lucky FWIW.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
ford considers 1qt every 900 miles to be "within spec". when dissecting my seized engine, the intake manifold was holding 1/2 quart of oil! it is believed to have come through the pcv system...and i had a JLT oil separator (not even close to full)! new engine runs a catch can, so no passage exists from the crankcase to the intake any more. it retains oil much better these days!

i will also note that my original engine had the cold rattle noise which sounded an awful lot like the very common expedition 5.4L cold piston slap. new engine does not. i would be interested to find out if the engines that consume oil all have the cold engine rattle! if the rattle is piston slap, i believe it causes more blowby, which not only allows oil past the rings to be burned, but overtaxes the pcv system, making it an oil suction line.

Thanks for all the input guys. Just a lil update:
Changed oil over to Mobil 1 5w50 at 15419mi and just had to add a quart at 17384mi. That's 1965mi. A lil bit of an improvement but still gonna ask my dealer and see what they say even though they seem not to be very Boss knowledgeable....

Re: Another "where is my oil going?" thread....sorry....

pufferfish said:
ford considers 1qt every 900 miles to be "within spec". when dissecting my seized engine, the intake manifold was holding 1/2 quart of oil! it is believed to have come through the pcv system...and i had a JLT oil separator (not even close to full)! new engine runs a catch can, so no passage exists from the crankcase to the intake any more. it retains oil much better these days!

i will also note that my original engine had the cold rattle noise which sounded an awful lot like the very common expedition 5.4L cold piston slap. new engine does not. i would be interested to find out if the engines that consume oil all have the cold engine rattle! if the rattle is piston slap, i believe it causes more blowby, which not only allows oil past the rings to be burned, but overtaxes the pcv system, making it an oil suction line.

In my case all that oil ended up in my intercooler. Now that pcv system is open to catch can breathers, no more oil losses.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I have a JLT oil sparator that catches quite a bit of oil. I have 7500 miles on my 13 and have done 2 oil changes so far, and even with the amount the oil separator catches, I haven't had to add a drop of oil in between oil changes. I made 15 passes at a drag strip last friday and the separator is 1/3rd full, but I still don't have to add any. I use Amsoil 10w40.

pufferfish said:

Thanks for posting this. This alleviates my concern about the noise I'm hearing at lower RPM after initial startup. I totally forgot about this in our cars and with the foam blocks removed it is certainly amplified and all makes sense now.

I have had no unusual oil consumption, but I only have 8k miles and have changed it 5 times already since I don't trust the oil after a long winter. When I had a catch can in my GT the rubber hose was caved in since the intake creates low pressure. And that was on idle that it had than much suction. Since none of us are reporting contaminated fuel oil from blow-by I am wondering if it is more the suction and bad placement of the tube in the crankcase causing the issue.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Re: Another "where is my oil going?" thread....sorry....

I got lucky mine uses almost no oil and the catch can takes about 5k to get a few oz in it. I have the intake off every once in a while and it's oil free as are the back of the intake valves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors