The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anthony's Full Build/Mods thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
It was dry clean only and they put it through the washer and dryer. Oops. I have to be honest though. For any 1/2 ton, Tundra is my truck. I have owned 7 of them. Plus, similarly equipped eco-boost 3.5 was $10K more. For 10K, I can have Fabtech make that truck way nicer than any "on the lot" F150. Trust me, I went to a Ford dealership first.

I think you missed my point. If the young lady in the picture ever sees this post, you'll be sleeping in the truck.

Willow was great. The car ran really well. Balanced and predictable. Unfortunately, my left front exploded in session 2 and ended my day.

I have the Whiteline sway bars softest in the rear and second softest in front. MCS's are 8 clicks out front and 5 out rear.

Went to Buttonwillow yesterday. Changed some things. Had an awesome day and ran all 6 sessions with no issues at all. Changed a few things after session 3 and gained 2 seconds a lap. 1/4 inch higher front height, 8 clicks out in the front and 6 clicks out in the rear on the MCS. Forgot the GoPro, so I duct taped my phone to the dash so got terrible video.

One things I did experience is the traction control will suddenly turn itself on if I get to much yaw and the car thinks I'm going to crash or something but I was no where near losing control. It happened twice so I had to hit to pits to reset. It was really annoying but apparently, can't tune it out and probably need to get thee ABS module to kill traction control retardedness.

Here's some pics and a couple slo-mo shots the guys took.

Group 4 Cotton Corners BW__3880_Jun1017_CaliPhoto.jpgGroup 4 Cotton Corners BW__3884_Jun1017_CaliPhoto.jpgGroup 4 Grid BW7_2347_Jun1017_CaliPhoto.jpgGroup 4 Panning BW__4033_Jun1017_CaliPhoto.jpg

drano38

Wayne
Anthony, looks like you had a great time!
Can you tell how much the hood vents help with cooling? Last weekend at MPH in Nebraska, my ECT said ~220, which is typical with my stock water/oil cooler and Setrab 9 series oil cooler.
More cooling is better, but I struggle with cutting holes in the stock hood.

Nice driving antman!

Wayne, your 220 is fine all day long! The main reason for the hood vents is aero not cooling. I'm pretty sure you're running an open grille and that's the best way to address overheating. But again 220 ECT is great on track. @Grant 302

Nice driving antman!

Wayne, your 220 is fine all day long! The main reason for the hood vents is aero not cooling. I'm pretty sure you're running an open grille and that's the best way to address overheating. But again 220 ECT is great on track. @Grant 302

Thanks Voodoo! It was the true first day I drove the car as Willow was a let down with only getting one session in. Loving it so far but was being cautious as I didn't know how it would break away if I pushed it harder. And yes the hood vents are definitely for aero. But I have to say, I see a lot of heat coming out of them which can't hurt of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if there is a way to completely kill the damn traction control. I was thinking that I can pull the ABS fuse. ABS never kicked in on the track anyway. I am very used to brake modulation because motorcycles didn't have ABS and a front lock up usually means face in the ground. LOL I just don't feel like buying and installing the Racing ABS module right now.

I have a small issue. I have the PCV valve still in there, but I have a hose on the passenger and driver side each going into a catch can with a breather. However, the driver's side is blowing oil with pressure to the point that it blows out through the breather filter. I know this because before I built the breather can, I just had filters attached temporarily. The driver's side blew out oil. I thought that side was not supposed to do that. I changed the oil before the track last week and put in six quarts. The catch can is half way full (probably 4 oz of oil or more) after two 20 minute sessions and then also blew oil out the filter. Any thoughts on this?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Willow was great. The car ran really well. Balanced and predictable. Unfortunately, my left front exploded in session 2 and ended my day.

I have the Whiteline sway bars softest in the rear and second softest in front. MCS's are 8 clicks out front and 5 out rear.

Wow--where did the tire let go? I would not want to lose a tire anywhere (especially at Big Willow).

Anthony, looks like you had a great time!
Can you tell how much the hood vents help with cooling? Last weekend at MPH in Nebraska, my ECT said ~220, which is typical with my stock water/oil cooler and Setrab 9 series oil cooler.
More cooling is better, but I struggle with cutting holes in the stock hood.

@drano38 220 is nothing to worry about. Limp mode stuff doesn't even kick in until 250+; remember that the gauge is reading CHT not ECT. From tribal knowledge it seems that ECT is actually about 8-10* lower than CHT.

Anyone know if there is a way to completely kill the damn traction control. I was thinking that I can pull the ABS fuse. ABS never kicked in on the track anyway. I am very used to brake modulation because motorcycles didn't have ABS and a front lock up usually means face in the ground. LOL I just don't feel like buying and installing the Racing ABS module right now.

Only way to get it done right is to get the ABS module. If you're comfortable running without ABS altogether, you can try pulling the fuse...but the first flat-spotted Hoosier is just as expensive as the module.

I have a small issue. I have the PCV valve still in there, but I have a hose on the passenger and driver side each going into a catch can with a breather. However, the driver's side is blowing oil with pressure to the point that it blows out through the breather filter. I know this because before I built the breather can, I just had filters attached temporarily. The driver's side blew out oil. I thought that side was not supposed to do that. I changed the oil before the track last week and put in six quarts. The catch can is half way full (probably 4 oz of oil or more) after two 20 minute sessions and then also blew oil out the filter. Any thoughts on this?
compression check

Unfortunately, this is probably a good course of action. You can start by pulling your plugs and inspecting for oil on the electrodes and tips. A little oil or blackening on the plug threads is normal.
Other than that, if you are lucky, maybe it is just too much crank-case pressure. Replace your passenger side PCV with the same fitting as the driver's side (or gut your existing passenger fitting) and run a Watson-style breather can instead of the catch cans.
https://shop.watsonracing.com/MUSTANG-5-0-S197-S550-CATCH-CAN-BREATHER-2005-2017-p/wr-pcvcankit.htm

TMO Supporting Vendors