The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anti submarine strap floor drilling location - advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm installing Scroth 6 point harnesses and Cobra Sebring Pro-Fit seats on top of planted performance seat mounts. Everything is fine except for this: based on the proper locations where the 2 holes should be drilled in the floor for the submarine straps harness bolts (at least on the driver's side) lead to 1.) the fuel line under the car, and 2.) an area of thick reinforced steel that is not flush with the floor. I think I can manage around the fuel line but I don't know how to address the second problem.

Simply put, my question for those of you who have a similar set-up is where did you drill your holes? Or did you buy or build some sort of bar on the seat mount instead? I was told by HMS Motorsport that they are supposed to go directly into the floor.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
NJ
I'm also getting to close to installing fixed-back seats, a Watson 4 pt bar, and 6 point harnesses for the upcoming track season. Is there an alternative to mounting the sub belts without having to drill through the floor?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You can mount the sub belts to the seat bracket (especially something like a Planted bracket with lots of space to attach a pair of eye-bolts upside down under the bracket). If you are in an impact that separates the seat from the floor, you have more to worry about than your sub belt.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
You can mount the sub belts to the seat bracket (especially something like a Planted bracket with lots of space to attach a pair of eye-bolts upside down under the bracket). If you are in an impact that separates the seat from the floor, you have more to worry about than your sub belt.

Arizona Boss is correct here. What I did was weld a 1” diameter steel bar underneath the Planted sestbase and then threaded the sub belts onto it. Makes for a neat install, allowing the sub belts to stay with the seat assembly when swapping from street to track. This assembly was tested in very hard impact (head on, 55mph) and functioned perfectly without failure or injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Same ones I'm using for HPDE. Easy install and keeps me as snug as a bug in a rug. I got them second hand from a TMO member along with a sub belt bar made by 06mach1 since I'm just running a harness bar for now.

TMO Supporting Vendors