The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anxious about higher rpm (up to 7200) use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 2016. How "dumb" am I to worry about winding out the engine to 7200 rpm (Lund tuned)? It's like I feel I'm killing the engine, lol.

This is a dumb thought, yes? I'm sure most of y'all live at redline, lol.

I guess IT's due to too many years in a fox and the 6k rpm redline.

Maybe it's just my exhaust sound at the higher rpm's I hate.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The 2011-2014 Coyote would start to go into valve float above 7200 RPM, but the 2015+ Coyotes have the Boss 302 valve springs, good to 8000 RPM.

You should be just fine.

Here is more about your engine: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/FPP_Gen_2_Coyote_Technical_Reference_2-16.pdf

ArizonaBOSS said:
The 2011-2014 Coyote would start to go into valve float above 7200 RPM, but the 2015+ Coyotes have the Boss 302 valve springs, good to 8000 RPM.

You should be just fine.

Here is more about your engine: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/FPP_Gen_2_Coyote_Technical_Reference_2-16.pdf
That is a good point of reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ford Performance actually bumps the redline to 7,500 RPM on the Gen 2 Coyote with the Stage 3 Power Pack while keeping the full factory powertrain warranty.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
2012-Boss said:
Ford Performance actually bumps the redline to 7,500 RPM on the Gen 2 Coyote with the Stage 3 Power Pack while keeping the full factory powertrain warranty.

Gen 2s are only limited by the intake. Otherwise, they're really regular production Boss engines.

Grant 302 said:
Gen 2s are only limited by the intake. Otherwise, they're really regular production Boss engines.

This anxiety contributed to not going full-bore on the road course when I went a couple of months ago--then again it was the first time in 8 years for me.

Grant 302 said:

Grant,
"kinda". The gen 2 motors do not have stronger pistons and the heads are made of a different aluminum than the boss.....
Minus the intake, you are correct, they are very, close....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
BigTaco said:
Grant,
"kinda". The gen 2 motors do not have stronger pistons and the heads are made of a different aluminum than the boss.....
Minus the intake, you are correct, they are very, close....

Understood. Less the actual CNC machining, runner control, etc. I probably could have expressed myself better. I just think of them as 'production Boss' engines.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Then I thought, wouldn't it be nice to see a bench-flow chart comparison of the Boss 302 v. the other FP performance cylinder heads?

2HP

Competition Orange said:
It reduces the 5/60 to 3/36 if installed by an ASE mechanic.

Not true. The power pack parts have the 3/36 warranty. You retain the full factory warranty unless the power pack caused the ultimate failure - which is something Ford will not due because they would be blaming their own parts for a problem. The full warranty text reads:

"Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when correctly and completely installed on a late model Ford vehicle by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). This Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Performance and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

TMO Supporting Vendors