The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any blown boss engines yet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am curious too, though RouschF150 is pretty funny.

I recall the thread about the car with no oil and rod knock, and mine still drinks oil nearing 2k miles, so it would be nice to know if anyone has actually had issues. Though the oil issues would probably be more long term.

Kidding aside (sorry JL, temptation got the best of me), I have read thousands of threads, posts and articles and have yet to hear of a failed BOSS engine. I am sure there has been or will be one here and there but it would not be much of a concern for me.

BLAZN BOSS

302BOB said:
The Boss engine was engineered to be bullitt proof. If it fails, it must be from oil loss or if the rev limiter was tempered with............Just my 2 cents
The engine that won't blow up is one that don't leave the engine stand.

BLAZN BOSS said:
302BOB said:
The Boss engine was engineered to be bullitt proof. If it fails, it must be from oil loss or if the rev limiter was tempered with............Just my 2 cents
The engine that won't blow up is one that don't leave the engine stand.
Yep. There's been at least one but I don't have any details.

Theres a couple people pushing 800+rwhp with a blower and havent blown it yet. I heard one of them blew their tranny apart though.

5 DOT 0 said:
Boss240 said:
Theres a couple people pushing 800+rwhp with a blower and havent blown it yet. I heard one of them blew their tranny apart though.
The one that blew was stock.
Must have been another one than cuz someone over on the other Boss forum blew their tranny with the blower on it too.

I know someone in a 2012 LS that had their engine fail at a track event. Not sure we ever found out why but Ford replaced it.

The only down side has been getting the engine plate replaced when it was sent back with the failed engine. That seems to be something Ford hadn't counted on having to do it seems.

Boss240 said:
That tranny is now a trophy ;D I will be adding a supercharger in the future.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I would think it would take boost + bad tuning to blow one up. or and injector failure that leans a cylinder out. if anyone finds pictures of some boss engine carnage I would love to see it :)

These motors are built very well I believe that most people whom bought these cars knew this and for a very good reason not to have just saved a few bucks and bought a regular gt the forged internats of this motor can take alot as with every motor yes you can screw them up but they are more forgiving then most.

Seems to me unless you screw wth the ECU it would be hard to bypass the protective" limp mode" to cause a catostrophic failure with this engine, unless there was a factory defect of course..... the tranny is a whole nother story,..... its not rated enough over the factory torque numbers to safely go the distance with bolt ons,....blowers etc......you would be asking for it eventually.

cf6mech said:
Seems to me unless you screw wth the ECU it would be hard to bypass the protective" limp mode" to cause a catostrophic failure with this engine, unless there was a factory defect of course..... the tranny is a whole nother story,..... its not rated enough over the factory torque numbers to safely go the distance with bolt ons,....blowers etc......you would be asking for it eventually.

Yeah Ford was VERY surprised it shut down and and it returned ASAP for an analysis.

Here read this it may give you a slight idea of just how solid this motor is ;D

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_1112_2012_boss_302_vortech_supercharger_install/index.html

Great article ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors