The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any Boss owners with '08/'09 Bullitt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been keeping my eyes open for one but just wondered about the comparison.

Am I too spoiled by my Boss that a Bullitt will feel slow/terrible/pathetic? Will be purely a street car for occasional use and I would probably do a few minor chassis things (LCAs, springs, dampers) but that's about it. I'm just looking for another fun toy basically.

Thank you in advance.

John

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Champale said:
Am I too spoiled by my Boss that a Bullitt will feel slow/terrible/pathetic?

Yes. I don't have a Bullitt...but even with the full-race suspension in the FR500S, the power from a stock 3V is not comparable to any of the new 5.0 cars GT or Boss.

That's not to say you can't have fun in one...but I doubt it would feel comparable when driven back to back.

I hear ya about engine power. I guess I should say I'm just wondering more about whether or not they are any fun. I've driven a couple of Terminator Cobras recently and even they felt slow but they were still fun (despite the laughably bad interior and ergonomics).

I had an 08 Bullitt and loved it. Kind of like the Boss' predecessor.....An engineer's car with all of the best parts at the time.
But a lot has changed in 4-5 years...They are a terrific car though...

Hey thank you for all of the input guys! I would like to test out a Bullitt but the closest one to me is 200 miles away so before I even contemplate a trip to see it, I just wanted some feedback.

I know that I am spoiled by my Boss - they really are amazing cars. I have had the opportunity to own and drive a lot of cars over the years and the Bosses are tied for first with the Mitsubishi Evos (yes, really). I drove a friend's '07 911 Turbo a few weeks ago and although it handles beautifully, is precise and fast as hell, my car is a lot more fun to drive. The whole Boss experience is more to my liking.

I have an '09 Bullitt. Bought it new. I shipped it to Pennsylvania for storage as soon as I picked up the Boss. It was a blast to drive in Germany. I do reflect back time to time on the power and handling between the two and there is a definite difference. Honestly when I drive the Boss 'Spiritedly', and when I drove the Bullitt I drove it normal, cruise. The 3V is definitely in need for a little more power.

I traded a 08 Bullitt for my new SBY Boss in September. I loved my Bullitt! if I was younger, it would still be sitting in the garage next to the Boss. A great driving Mustang!

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
I've had my 08 Bullitt for a couple years and have to say it's a pretty nice daily driver. Naturally with 130 fewer horses and a suspension lacking 5 more years of refinement it would never come close to our new Bosses on the track, but it's still a lot of fun for routine driving. I'll take it out on rainy days when my two other ponies stay in the corral, or I'm just going to the grocery. It's also nice to have the stealth quality that some people prefer.

Trio2_zpsc8c779af.jpg

Sadly, I'm trying to sell the Bullitt to make room for the new Boss. I'll definitely miss it.

SeattleBoss- I know it's Christmas and I shouldn't say this but I HATE YOU! Hah man you have got some beautiful cars there for sure!

From everyone's comments, basically it seems like the Bullitts are a lot of fun in the context of what they were made for (i.e. being the best street Mustang of their era). I am definitely going to keep my eye out for one. If I do luck out and get one, any chassis/braking deficiencies can be handled via the aftermarket fairly easily and if it needs more power, a Coyote or Aluminator could always be slipped in I guess!

Wow that is very cool and pretty much exactly what I have in mind for a Bullitt if I get one. I love the subtle looks and with a few tweaks, it could be a lot of fun. Thank you for posting, vista6019!

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
That Dark Highland Green still gets me and my wife all the time. So clean. If I could have that car with my old '06's suspension and powertrain mods I'd be in Mustang heaven.

I have a 08 Bullitt that I purchased new (4/2008) I also have a SBY Boss I purchased new 5/2013. I love the Bullitt, but I have to admit there is a difference between it and the Boss both in speed and handling. It is difficult to compare the two they both bring something to the table. Both have the prestige of the history, both have speed and handling. Sometimes I would say the Bullitt may be slower, but feels faster. No sure how to explain this. The Boss seems heavier/firmer than the Bullitt. I would not trade one for the other..

If you can afford to have both I would have both. They are both great Mustangs and both are head turners.

My son has a '08 Bullitt,great car. Thats one of the reasons I sold my C4 Corvette to buy the Boss, I enjoyed driving it more than the Vette. He has Flowmaster exhaust on it and I think it us a bit louder than my Boss with the Roush axle back exhaust.
Just the same its great to see both on the driveway.

I finally had a chance to test drive a decent '08 Bullitt today. I thought that it was really nice to drive, a much more hospitable place to spend time than the rough and tough Boss. But . . . it was so slow! Geez, I am so spoiled by my car! When I gave it full throttle in 2nd, it just sort of nicely accelerated away. As we all know, our Bosses will spin the tires, go half sideways, and hit the rev limiter in a split second doing that!

Anyway, thank you again for all of the feedback. I still think the Bullitt is one of the best looking Mustangs of all time and may still keep my eyes open for one. You guys that are able to have both the Boss and the Bullitt are truly lucky.

See if a 2011+ GT fits in your budget.

Rick - are you already spending money that I don't have? Hah!

You can pick up brand new '14 base model GTs for 25k right now so those are tempting but I think that if I find the money to buy another car, it will probably be another Mitsubishi Evo (I've already owned three of them - they are my crack cocaine). Totally different than a Boss in every way, but still raw, hardcore, and loopy fun to go bananas in.

Heck, brand new Track Pack/Recaro '14 GTs are down under 30k now if one does a search. That is a BARGAIN.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Champale said:
Heck, brand new Track Pack/Recaro '14 GTs are down under 30k now if one does a search. That is a BARGAIN.

When I was at the dealership to service my Edge, I was having a hard time not trading in my GT for a new Track Pack car. I'm sure I'd take a bigger hit on the '11 than I would if I could find a private buyer...

TMO Supporting Vendors