The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any Cooks Onboard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It'll cost you several beers or two martinis to hang around me and combat those tumors! 😜
Deal. Sounds like a good thyme.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I haven't...One of Holly's aunts has an old family recipe that calls for "government" cheese...if you remember that. It's a pretty damn good mac & cheese. I have wanted to try smoking some on the Traeger but have never got the chance. We substitute the cheese with Land-O-Lakes Extra-Melt which we get from a local grocery supply store.

The ham and bacon sounds good. I have wanted to do a crab and bacon version when we do Alaskan King crab leg boils...but we never have any left over... :confused: . With crab at $40/lb now...🤬, we didn't even do that this year.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I am far from a cook, and I'd say I'm average when it comes to grilling. Maybe even below average. I have a gas grill and a Traeger pellet smoker, and my favorite tool lately, a sous vide. What I don't have is a lot of patience for cooking, for whatever reason. I also suffer from excessive sweating, which makes grilling something I don't look forward to all that much in 100 degree summer heat here in NorCal. I do hope to get into a little more this season and next as I wrap up some of the bigger projects around the house/yard.

I will say that I made some of the best New York Strips I've ever had a few weeks ago using a sous vide and finishing it on the gas grill. Meat was from Costco. I used a combination of rubs - spicy garlic, coffee flavor, butter flavor, thyme, salt/pepper, put it in the fridge for a few hours that morning, then threw it in the sous vide for 5 hours at 136 degrees. Finished them on the grill on high heat. It was soooooo good.

A couple years back I made a Prime Rib roast from Costco on the Traeger that has been one of the best I've ever tasted. Smoked it for 3-4 hours if I remember correctly. Costco had it pre-seasoned, huge hunk of meat - TONS of garlic. I tried to replicate it this last Xmas using meat from the grocery store, seasoning it myself. What a disappointment. Wasn't anywhere close to that last one. Felt bad for the family we had over.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Chris, you may be a more of a connoisseur than you think......
Connoisseur? :idontknow: For certain foods I might agree with that. Being good at cooking those foods, meh, that's a stretch. I might knock it out of the park on occasion, but even then, that's still relative to my own tastes. Others might might think it's overdone or too bland. It's always subjective. I don't get enough enjoyment out of it to want to do it all the time. I really hope that changes though, as cooking/grilling is such a good thing to immerse yourself in.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Luda,
Have to agree on the Costco cuts of meat because living in the #1 Beef State in the US of A we are always surprised at how good their meat is!!! Was told by an employee a lot actually comes from Nebraska, but who really knows. I can vouch for it being top notch virtually every time and since they are setting up a Chicken Processing Plant here, it would not be a surprise to find the beef is sourced just down our country roads.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors