The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any difference between our rear and other 3.73 rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought a 2013 302 LS in October and it had a whine in the rear over 75 MPH. I took it to the dealer on Monday and took the tech for a drive. He thought the noise was the pinion gear. I left the car with them and they called me today and told me they were going to rebuild the rear. That's what I was hoping for but they said they are having trouble getting one of the parts and it will be at least a week.

Is our rear any different than any other 3.73 rear sold in 2013? I'm surprised A 3 year old car doesn't have parts available faster than that. I don't think they are lieing to me, no reason to, it just seems odd with how fast stuff can be shipped that they can't get a part for a week.

Is this what you guys experience? I don't have much work done at a dealer.

I would be willing to bet that it's the pinion bearing/race; that part is unique to the 2013 Boss 302 and 2013-14 GT500....

Not to mess with your hopes, but if the dealer does not have experience fine tuning 3.73 gears, then it will most likely whine even after the rebuild.

I had a similar experience with my dealer. After they replaced the pinion gear (waited for parts 2-3 weeks) the gears still whined. Their advice was to drive a bit, break-in the gears and then come back if it still whined. After I heard that advice, I knew they weren't going to be able to help me, so I never went back. I've been enjoying the whine ever since 8)

F.D. Sako said:
Not to mess with your hopes, but if the dealer does not have experience fine tuning 3.73 gears, then it will most likely whine even after the rebuild.

I had a similar experience with my dealer. After they replaced the pinion gear (waited for parts 2-3 weeks) the gears still whined. Their advice was to drive a bit, break-in the gears and then come back if it still whined. After I heard that advice, I knew they weren't going to be able to help me, so I never went back. I've been enjoying the whine ever since 8)

Ditto,
Fords 8.8 whine is quite common. I have had it on everything from various Fox bodies & SN95's. It does seem like dealers don't have techs that can set it up properly from my experience. Always wound up going to outside shops to get it done right.

Had my ring and pinion change under warranty at 7500 miles due to whine at about 65 mph. Tech told me it was out by more than 25 thou. He set up the replacements at plus or minus 3 thou. Whine gone. He also told me that it did not need to be broken in as the gears are hardened. Must be lucky that there is a tech that knows what he doing at my dealer.

TMO Supporting Vendors