The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any downside to using TracKey every day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The downside to using the TracKey every day is that you can't stand to use the silver key anymore!

I don't drive in stop and go, and I live on a twisty mountain road, so it is TracKey, every time. I accidentally grabbed the silver key once, and after a few miles I almost turned around and went home to get the red key!

I'm sure people think I'm weird, because I roll down the windows at stoplights even when it is 100 degrees out. I just want to hear that rumble. It is intoxicating.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
coboss said:
The downside to using the TracKey every day is that you can't stand to use the silver key anymore!

I don't drive in stop and go, and I live on a twisty mountain road, so it is TracKey, every time. I accidentally grabbed the silver key once, and after a few miles I almost turned around and went home to get the red key!

I'm sure people think I'm weird, because I roll down the windows at stoplights even when it is 100 degrees out. I just want to hear that rumble. It is intoxicating.
All this trackey talk had me try out the silver key again today for lunch. The idle is so quiet without the trackey. Just not as snappy down low.

I too drive with the windows down no matter how hot it is. Especially rolling through the tunnels around here :)

I always drive with the windows down but wife was with me yesterday in 90+ heat & suggested putting the AC on even with the windows down...makes driving a little more comfortable when you feel that cool breeze now & then. Just the opposite of driving in cold weather with the windows down & the heat on............either way I need my windows down to hear my Boss!

I do both on each drive, as it is hot at my house and cold by the time I get in to the mountains ;D

I even ran with the down the one time I got caught in a sudden rain, it wasn't that hard of rain and from track experience in the beater I know not that much water gets in. Quick rubdown when you get home and all is good. Now the guy in the new GT convertible with the top down I saw in the rain... that was a bit much

I have never noticed it, even when I had baffles in, but I try not to WOT at low rpm anyways so that might be why. I probably would hear it if it were there, I became pretty sensitive to it when I had my turbo track car. Some cars seem to have it worse than others, like with the injector noise (or was it valve noise) on the passenger side. I'm on CA 91, the worst 91 in the country.

I guess that's a benefit of being hard of hearing. I never hear spark knock. Ignorance is bliss ;D

For those of you guys with the aftermarket wheels did you have them program your TracKey with the stock wheel size or your aftermarket wheel size? Considering I'm going with Gary's Enkei setup the diameter isn't changing much...

If you only use TK on a track with your track wheels it will work fine but if you use TK on the street with different size tires don't bother. So it sounds like a great option but in the end it's useless for many of us. I'm more interested in having accurate speed readings on the street rather than the track. Heck I rarely look at my speedo when tracking my car.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
fduboss302 said:
For those of you guys with the aftermarket wheels did you have them program your TracKey with the stock wheel size or your aftermarket wheel size? Considering I'm going with Gary's Enkei setup the diameter isn't changing much...

At 155 MPH I calculated about a 7 MPH difference....

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
If you just have to have the shorter side wall I wonder if ford can adjust it with there equipment much like they can for gear changes? I bet then can from the looks of the dealer instruction sheet it points out for them to select the tire size.
See step 1 & 24 I think it can be done.
[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.0.pdf[/pdf]

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I had my track key installed yesterday. Talking to the guy that did the install, mine being his 5th or 6th,he told me its ok to drive it all the time and not to worry. After talking to him and another guy for several minutes, I felt good about their knowledge of the car. So, I drove the 120 miles home with the red key......smiling all the way home.

First day of my week and one day long vacation and got my TracKey in (first time Boss was in rain, even though it was a drizzle) Wow, talk about a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde effect, I absolutely love the lopey idle though it seems most were expecting something more? This is my first domestic car so maybe I haven't sat in a car with a "serious" lopey idle. Secondly I do notice the instantaneous engine braking but it seems like the car holds revvs longer when engine braking?

All in all I can NOT wait to autocross with this key next week!

This was on my 2013 Boss 302. I've tried neither the pit lane feature nor the launch control yet.

I wonder if Sprint Booster would do a custom tuned adapter, because I noticed if you just barely feather the gas pedal it gets out of the enviro-mode and you don't get the j-brake noise. Maybe they could set it up so it gives 1% throttle at all times. Dunno if that would affect the idle though.

Had the TrackKey installed and have roughly 130 miles on the car now, with the last 90 or so on the TrackKey. But I am noticing that its getting harder to get going with the TrackKey from a dead stop now, lots of bucking, I have tried to adjust the clutch release and gas input to solve, but nothing seems to help.

Switched back to Silver Key, no issues, I can even start out in 3rd gear, no issues...

Back to the TrackKey, same thing. Its especially more noticeable once Lopey Idle kicks in.

It seems like it either needs more clutch or more gas, but I either feel like I burning the clutch or I am spinning the tires.

The first 60-80 miles on the TrackKey was not a problem, but now it seems to have a different attitude.

(This car has not been tracked, its only daily driving in city traffic right now).

rpm3dinc said:
Had the TrackKey installed and have roughly 130 miles on the car now, with the last 90 or so on the TrackKey. But I am noticing that its getting harder to get going with the TrackKey from a dead stop now, lots of bucking, I have tried to adjust the clutch release and gas input to solve, but nothing seems to help.

Switched back to Silver Key, no issues, I can even start out in 3rd gear, no issues...

Back to the TrackKey, same thing. Its especially more noticeable once Lopey Idle kicks in.

It seems like it either needs more clutch or more gas, but I either feel like I burning the clutch or I am spinning the tires.

The first 60-80 miles on the TrackKey was not a problem, but now it seems to have a different attitude.

(This car has not been tracked, its only daily driving in city traffic right now).

I've noticed the same thing. I have 450 miles on my car now, the last 250 with TK. First gear bucks so much that it's basically unusable. I've been starting off in 2nd gear 90% of the time. Also noticed a stutter sometimes around 2800 RPM. I've wrung it out a few times on some backroads, so it's not all been stop and go driving, and I don't use the car as a DD. I may go back to the silver key for a while and see what happens when I go back to the red key. Anybody have any thoughts on what the previous poster and I are experiencing?

TMO Supporting Vendors