The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any downside to using TracKey every day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My observations have been the opposite, the silver key bucks more and is generally harder to keep everything smooth especially shifting. The red key does take a tad more rpm iirc but not enough that it worries me. But I drive 90% red key so maybe I just got used to that mapping.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
JonW said:
rpm3dinc said:
Had the TrackKey installed and have roughly 130 miles on the car now, with the last 90 or so on the TrackKey. But I am noticing that its getting harder to get going with the TrackKey from a dead stop now, lots of bucking, I have tried to adjust the clutch release and gas input to solve, but nothing seems to help.

Switched back to Silver Key, no issues, I can even start out in 3rd gear, no issues...

Back to the TrackKey, same thing. Its especially more noticeable once Lopey Idle kicks in.

It seems like it either needs more clutch or more gas, but I either feel like I burning the clutch or I am spinning the tires.

The first 60-80 miles on the TrackKey was not a problem, but now it seems to have a different attitude.

(This car has not been tracked, its only daily driving in city traffic right now).

I've noticed the same thing. I have 450 miles on my car now, the last 250 with TK. First gear bucks so much that it's basically unusable. I've been starting off in 2nd gear 90% of the time. Also noticed a stutter sometimes around 2800 RPM. I've wrung it out a few times on some backroads, so it's not all been stop and go driving, and I don't use the car as a DD. I may go back to the silver key for a while and see what happens when I go back to the red key. Anybody have any thoughts on what the previous poster and I are experiencing?

No issues here at all. I love the power and response. Read the documents that came with track key for the install. There was something there about if lopey idle didn't work you would put the silver key in and let it idle for 5 minutes to relearn the home position.. If that does not work, I would take it back to the dealer. It is possible that the software would need to be reloaded. Its possible for the code to have been corrupted if the memory in the ECM is iffy.

Brian

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
rpm3dinc said:
Is it possible to just idle with black key for 5 minutes and they try red? Or do I need to disconnect the battery, then do it?

I don't think you need to disconnect the battery. Just idle with the black key for the engine to relearn the Cam home position.

From the instructions.
What if the " TRACKEY IDLE / ENGINE ENABLED" message is displayed but the idle
is not very lopey?
• First, verify that the engine oil level is correct. Make sure to use only 5W50 oil,
as cam control can vary dependent on oil viscosity. Secondly, turn off all
accessories such as air conditioning, rear window defrost, etc. If the idle still isn't
lopey, the PCM may need to relearn the zero (or "home") position of the cams.
To facilitate this learning process, shut the engine off, restart the engine using
the black (non-Track) key and let the engine idle for 5 minutes with the vehicle
stationary. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during this time. Once the zero
position is learned, it should not need to be relearned unless the battery is
disconnected or the PCM is reflashed.

Brian

I went ahead and disconnected the battery, waited 5 minutes, reconnected and started with Black Key, let idle for 8 minutes (just to be sure), then shut it off, let it sit for 5 minutes and then tried the Red Key, started right up, said it was enabled, and then waited for the Lopey Idle Enabled message, then shut it off... I will go drive it here in about an hour and see if that made any difference.

(BTW, I only disconnected the Black (Negative) battery terminal cable).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel