The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any Drone with GT500 Mufflers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you keep an eye out on the market section of svtperformance.com, used stock 11/12 GT500 mufflers get exchanged ALOT lol. You can get them for pretty cheap... especially if you find one local.

F.D. Sako said:
If you keep an eye out on the market section of svtperformance.com, used stock 11/12 GT500 mufflers get exchanged ALOT lol. You can get them for pretty cheap... especially if you find one local.

The ones I see there now are typically $400 plus shipping. Are they typically available for less?

I'm asking because the Late Model Restoration price for new ones using 'windsor' promo code is just under $300 including shipping.

ya 400 sounds a little high, unless its the '13 GT500 mufflers.

IMO $300 shipped is a good deal for a new set. I've usually seen used ones run for $280-350.

F.D. Sako said:
ya 400 sounds a little high, unless its the '13 GT500 mufflers.

IMO $300 shipped is a good deal for a new set. I've usually seen used ones run for $280-350.

Ah, okay. I'm seeing '13s. Thanks for pointing that out.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Make sure to do the sound tube delete. I think that can cause a drone sound. I think you'll be very happy with the gt500 mufflers. I am and much cheaper than some other aftermarket ones. I got mine from Rehagen Racing locally at a swap meet for $150. They were take-offs. But new is good for $300. I think new come with clamps. Otherwise you have to cut the clamps off your stock mufflers to reuse them. I did but would have preferred not to.

Brian

GA
GottaBoss said:
Thanks Ken.

The number you give above comes up as a 2011Mustang GT SVT muffler...

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=M-5230-MGTCA1&Search.x=17&Search.y=7

It doesn't say 'GT500.' The Shelby GT500 mufflers on this page (M-5230-MSVTLA) are MUCH more expensive....

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=2&search=GT500+Muffler&show=20

Which one are you guys using? What's the difference?

I am using these. If you look further down the page it says, "Muflers were standard on 2011-2012 Mustang Shelby GT500". The more expensive ones have nicer tips embossed with the Ford Racing logo. I think M-5230-MSVTLA are probably the M-5230-MGTCA1 with nicer tips, but you should call FRPP to confirm. Touring mufflers are 50-state legal, and sport mufflers are louder and deeper but not legal in CA. I like these because they can be loud when you go WOT, but you can short shift and not be so loud when you need to. The price is right too if you don't need the fancy tips. I have not experienced annoying drone with them.

batman48195 said:
Make sure to do the sound tube delete. I think that can cause a drone sound. I think you'll be very happy with the gt500 mufflers. I am and much cheaper than some other aftermarket ones. I got mine from Rehagen Racing locally at a swap meet for $150. They were take-offs. But new is good for $300. I think new come with clamps. Otherwise you have to cut the clamps off your stock mufflers to reuse them. I did but would have preferred not to.

Brian

Sound tube delete makes a difference. I felt the 3/4" discs were too much until I deleted my sound tube, now it sounds pefect with the windows up.

now if you want the quad pipe look of the 2013 GT500's thats a whole other bag of worms and you need more then the mufflers you will need the lower valance as well. there is a thread on that on here of how to order it via tasca or tousley
[/quote]

Justin, I was under the impression that if you have a 12' and wanted to do the 13 quad exaust you'd have to order the entire rear bumper(upper cover and lower valance). Are you saying that a 13 lower valance will fit on a 12 rear bumper cover? If so,then all you need are the exhausts and the lower valance? That sounds too good to be true, but I hope that it is.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Bossy1908 said:
Justin, I was under the impression that if you have a 12' and wanted to do the 13 quad exaust you'd have to order the entire rear bumper(upper cover and lower valance). Are you saying that a 13 lower valance will fit on a 12 rear bumper cover? If so,then all you need are the exhausts and the lower valance? That sounds too good to be true, but I hope that it is.
it is for the 13's the OP has a 13 I believe. if you want to do it to a 12 you would have to get the entire rear bumper along with the tail lights the whole nine. very expensive.

TMO Supporting Vendors