The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any "essential" upgrades needed for a Boss 302?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been reading a lot and absorbing a ton of information regarding the '12/'13 Boss 302 in preparation for finding the "perfect" Boss to bring home. I am aware of the clutch/shifter issues, potential oil consumption issues, etc. but seeking advice on mods/upgrades you current or previous Boss 302 owners feel are essential components I should look into after once I bring her home. I have basically narrowed down my search after a couple of months and will likely be picking her up tomorrow ;) thanks again @VoodooBOSS for the connect!

The car that I have my eyes on is a 2013 model with just a hair over 3k miles. It's merely brand new and drives excellent from the short test drive I had using the Trackey :D Seems to shift fine (although I wasn't trying to bang gears at redline). The car is 99% stock other than an FRPP brake cooling duct kit. I don't intend to heavily track it (yet), so performance mods are not a concern at this point. Really looking for advice on things that will help to improve longevity.

That being said, if you guys can provide any input on essentials, please let me know. Would definitely like to have a list of to-dos to keep my Boss experience top notch.

Cheers!

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland
what i would recommend as essential is:

- passenger-site oil catch can
- if not done, try to activate the red key
- SST clutch Fluid line
- MGW Race spec shifter
- remove the clutch-pedal helper spring
- Clutch remote reservoir

more mods that would be made the boss perfect:

- Ford Racing lowering springs
- adjustable Panhard Bar
- LCA and LCA Relo Brackets
- Quad Tip GT 500 Exhaust
- change the restrictor plates in the side exhaust (ask voodooBoss for them)
- Sound pipe delete
- AirAid PJ CAI
and much more

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Essential?? Oh boy, that's subjective. LOL

I put the mods I made in to two categories; track and nice to have.

Track

18 inch wheels. This will cut tire costs greatly increase options.
SAFETY Mods, helmet, harnesses and roll bar. Suit, shoes and gloves.
Shifter, MGW is the only real,choice.
Brakes pads and fluids (minimum upgrade)
Springs, LCAs, PHB with relocation brackets

Road

Remove clutch helper spring.
Activate sat radio
Tires and wheels, Michelin full street of their all weather radial depending upon your driving environment.

Camera. Because we will,want to see pictures of your new ride. ;D

As a general rule I don't like white cars. They are just too plain. The White Boss, either year, is the one exception. The stripe package makes the car pop. Great choice.

Post some pictures when you get her home. Try to avoid smiling all day long the first week you have the car. Coworkers will wonder if you are on a drug of some kind. They will never believe it's just a new car.

Enjoy

Thanks Buland and TMS!

Looks like an oil separator, stainless steel clutch line, and removal of clutch helper spring will be one of the first things to get done. Any specific brand/model oil separator and clutch line that you guys recommend?

Trackey is activated and side exhaust plates have been removed ;)

Here are my recommendations, which were already mentioned above.

-18" wheels and square tire setup to increase tire life.
-Camber plates, again to increase tire life.
-Air-to-oil oil cooler, which I haven't done myself, yet.
-Brake ducts
-Race pads
-Clutch and shifter upgrade... if you track enough, the clutch will fail eventually (if it doesn't already cause lockouts)
-Breather or oil catch can. I went with Peterson's open breather.

As you track more, you'll notice the weak points and slowly upgrade. This thread will provide you good information so you won't have to go through the same failures as most us had to ::)

Best of luck with the car. You'll definitely enjoy it!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
All of the above, especially to do with the shifter/clutch and brakes... Pads, Fluid and cooling ducts. Camber plates save you a ton of tires, crazy not to have them if you go near a track.

I only have a set of Kooks lth/xpipe with a tune as far as the engine goes. But it does certainly change the way the car drives.

If you are going to race.....do you self a favor and get a Cortex setup in one go, instead of springs and shocks.... you will save money and time in the long run.

Best of luck! only 3K miles what a deal!

congrats on the Boss. Now don't get all caught up with mods that are more what I call "Techno Bling" It depends what you want to do with the car.

Any 5.o can use the PCV oil catch can, JLT makes a good one that's plug & play.

Fresh fluids all around (trans, rear, brake) is a good idea so you have a fresh starting point. You already have the stock brake cooling duct kit then that's great.

Shifter's are subjective but the Blowfish brace is a good add on even if your not planning on beating on the trans. and smacking 7500+ shifts. The helper spring delete is a good idea.

New clutch line doesn't buy anything really unless your going with long tube headers.

Brakes....better pads are always a good idea, many to choose from depending on what your doing.

Suspension .....keeping it simple I went with Fords P springs, LCA's and relocation brackets & bounce stops. P springs without CC plates still gave me - 1.5 camber which is ok for my purposes. If you want more then CC plates.

Tires...again depending on what your doing. If your content with the standard size/street rubber then Misc PSS seem to be the best bet.

If you want to get sticky R rubber then get 18" wheels and your tire availability widens, but remember with R rubber other thinks start to come into play like ball joint and control arm life.

MY suggestion would be learn the car first then start with mods as needed.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Learning the car is Good Advise.

Driver mods are the hardest to install and the most productive.

If you are going to track your Boss, get some instruction.

My list in priority
1. Safety gear
2. Brake upgrades
3. Training
4. Wheels and tires, shifter, suspension
5. More power. There is a lot on hand stock.

Hey guys - just got home from my 100+ mile cruise home. On the highway at cruising speed, this things purrs even with the baffles removed. Its loud from outside, but in my opinion, very mellow in the cockpit. Loving it so far!

Thanks for all the tips on mods/upgrades. As mentioned, I do not plan to track the car (yet), so I want to address any "necessary" upgrades while learning the car. Once I get some miles under my belt with this car, I'll definitely be asking for recommendations regarding performance upgrades.

From what I am hearing, the top items are still oil separator, fresh fluids, removal of clutch helper spring, and stainless clutch line. I did not experience any grinding or lock-out, though I do need to learn the configuration bit better as it seems when downshifting I can easily throw it into the wrong gear - easily corrected, but will take a few outings to get used to.

I've read that there are ways to change the traction control. Is this true? I haven't reviewed the supplemental booklets yet, but I did find the traction control on/off button as well as the steering wheel mode feature. What other goodies do these cars have that I've yet to discover. I feel like a kid in a toy store, touching/pressing everything and not knowing what will happen haha!

Ian,
Get out and enjoy that Boss! There is great roads and weather in Nor Cal. For the street, i wouldn't do a damn thing. The factory Pirellis are not that good, but use them up and move on to Michelins. That's awesome it came with Trackey, and those FR brake ducts installed. It saved you close to 800 bucks. The stock shifter does take time to learn as any new shifter/car does. You will get better with it in time. With that said,if Santa was to bring you a MGW shifter i think you be very happy with it for street driving or possible track days. They are not cheap tho. A K&N panel filter isn't a bad mod for the money. 40-50 bucks. Best mod hands down is seat time in the car. All this other "stuff" is just very subjective.
Brian

I'd put some Ford Performance T springs on it and add a LS front splitter. Then drive the wheels off of it! Congratulations. 8)

steeda5 said:
Ian,
Get out and enjoy that Boss! There is great roads and weather in Nor Cal. For the street, i wouldn't do a damn thing. The factory Pirellis are not that good, but use them up and move on to Michelins. That's awesome it came with Trackey, and those FR brake ducts installed. It saved you close to 800 bucks. The stock shifter does take time to learn as any new shifter/car does. You will get better with it in time. With that said,if Santa was to bring you a MGW shifter i think you be very happy with it for street driving or possible track days. They are not cheap tho. A K&N panel filter isn't a bad mod for the money. 40-50 bucks. Best mod hands down is seat time in the car. All this other "stuff" is just very subjective.
Brian

Thanks, Brian! Just curious, have we met? Not sure I recognize your name/handle.

Anyway, I completely agree with you that, in factory form, this car is amazing. An MGW will definitely be on top of my mods list once I address the necessities.

VoodooBOSS said:
I'd put some Ford Performance T springs on it and add a LS front splitter. Then drive the wheels off of it! Congratulations. 8)

Thanks Rick! This couldn't have happened without you.

An LS splitter would be nice indeed, but I would want/need to find a rear spoiler to match. Likely an LS or GT500 in matte black will be in line once I get to this point. How much do the T springs lower the car? It would be nice to achieve a better stance without having to add a bunch of other upgrades to pair it with (if that's even possible).

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I agree with the T Springs, they lower the Boss just less than 1/2" front and a bit less than 1-1/2" in the rear. The only item needed with the T's is an adjustable Panhard Bar to recenter the rear diff housing.

Very happy to learn your new Boss 302 is parked in your garage.

With the exception of just a few things, (MGW Race Spec shifter, Cortex Racing, etc.), I'd stick pretty much with Ford Racing OEM upgrades/mods.

All the best, and enjoy your new Boss 302.
302 Hi Pro

PS: There are 3 levels of TC. (TC, AT, ATSM, or Off). Learn your new car before you go full off.

Thanks 2HP. Looks like if/when I decide to lower my car, the T-spring drop rate would be ideal. Also, thanks for the info about TC. I'll need to figure out how to get passed just the standard on/off button haha!

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TC and Advancetrac are things you need to be familar with. They offer piece of mind at times but can also eat up a set of rear brakes on track.

Advancetrac will apply a rear brake to assist with a turn. Drag on the inside often improves control in a turn at the cost of speed and brake wear.

Read through you owners manual and Boss supplement....a few times. This will help immensely

Enjoy the new ride ;D

My recommendations are more daily driver related.

If you live in the burbs I'd recommend installing the QTP exhaust cutouts. I drive mine daily and leave the house at 5:30am during the week. I leave the side exhaust closed in the morning and open them up on the way home and definitely on the weekend.

Weathertech mats would protect your floor, I got them for the front and the trunk (no back seat!) and they fit great, catch a lot of dirt and clean easily.

Redline hood struts are an easy add. I'm not a fan of the prop rod.

I wouldn't change a thing save for camber plates (and then only if you're going to autocross or track the car). Get used to how the car drives in stock form first, find out what you don't like, then modify on that basis. I wouldn't even put the LS splitter on it (though if you can acquire one inexpensively, it'll be good to have it on hand) for daily driving because it's likely to suffer damage from speed bumps, steep driveways, etc. I live in the Silicon Valley area and I won't lower my car more than it already is with the Boss springs because of the "features" of the urban terrain around here.

The Boss is incredibly capable in stock form. It's pretty hard to argue against a 1:40 lap time on stock tires around Laguna Seca in the hands of a pro driver. So if you track or autocross the car, get camber plates to save wear and tear on your front tires, but leave it alone otherwise until you find something you don't like.

It's way better to make changes when you know from experience why you're making them. And it's easier to appreciate the changes when you've experienced the car without them.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel