The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any FL Guys Want to Hit the Track Cheap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebring Next weekend, it is two for one. Just $125 each, if interested let me know.

http://www.trackweekend.com/events/16134227/?eventId=16134227&action=detail
http://www.erme.us/modules/piCal/index.php?action=View&event_id=0000000028

2012YellowBoss said:
Sebring Next weekend, it is two for one. Just $125 each, if interested let me know.

http://www.trackweekend.com/events/16134227/?eventId=16134227&action=detail
http://www.erme.us/modules/piCal/index.php?action=View&event_id=0000000028

Wish I lived closer to you! My September two day event at NJMP just cost me $500 with a Ford Marque Day 10% discount

I normally pay 300 for one day, two days at Daytona is eight and a quarter.

Look at the bright side, in a few weeks when the knuckleheads in D.C. are still playing like kids that $500 will only be $20 in todays money :mad:

2012YellowBoss said:
I will take the first response I get, I post on trackweekend today. Let me know when you can.

With me NEVER having been on a track before.. is there an orientation that is required?? Or do i just follow you around the track ;D

I have not run with this group but it looks to be the same as others like HOD. They have a class for new drivers and set you up with an instructor who rides with you in the car. The cost is higher for the instructor but not more then the other groups and worth doing. Even though I have run several times I do the beginner class at a new track.

There is a lot to learn about HPD but the instructor can not teach you all in one day. They are there to help out and get you around the track safely. They will teach you about the track workers, the flags and other things like how to pass and look for faster cars. After that they will go over the basics of entering and exiting the corners, as with anything else that will get better with practice.

The other people in you class will be in the same boat as you, worrying about the car, holding up the pack or whatever. When you go out there you will see that there is little reason to worry, everyone is thinking the same thing. I have not seen any aggressive driving or people getting upset down here in the days I have gone.

2012YellowBoss said:
I have not run with this group but it looks to be the same as others like HOD. They have a class for new drivers and set you up with an instructor who rides with you in the car. The cost is higher for the instructor but not more then the other groups and worth doing. Even though I have run several times I do the beginner class at a new track.

There is a lot to learn about HPD but the instructor can not teach you all in one day. They are there to help out and get you around the track safely. They will teach you about the track workers, the flags and other things like how to pass and look for faster cars. After that they will go over the basics of entering and exiting the corners, as with anything else that will get better with practice.

The other people in you class will be in the same boat as you, worrying about the car, holding up the pack or whatever. When you go out there you will see that there is little reason to worry, everyone is thinking the same thing. I have not seen any aggressive driving or people getting upset down here in the days I have gone.

How much more for the instructor? The other "Boss" requires financial details before she will let me take this plunge...

It would be $50 so $175 total.

Most charge $300 a day no matter beginner or not, this group charges that and discounts the the non-beginner group to $250. So you are not paying more but not getting the discount. Still $175 is really cheap to get out on Sebring, IMHO.

Not sure what the official distance is but there is about 3050 feet of a straight line, you can keep speed up going into the turn at the end of the straight. The first half of the turn can be used to bleed off speed.

I assume a helmet is required. i would also need to get my (2) rear tires put onto my Brembo wheels. i think I'd have to go only 275 instead of 285 due to these rims only being 9" and not 9 1/2" wide. How much of an affect do you think this will have??

As a side note: where the heck is the lug nut wrench for these cars??

BlazinBoss302 said:
I assume a helmet is required. i would also need to get my (2) rear tires put onto my Brembo wheels. i think I'd have to go only 275 instead of 285 due to these rims only being 9" and not 9 1/2" wide. How much of an affect do you think this will have??

There is no lug wrench, just the stupid fix a flat.

275 is about the biggest recomended for the 9 inch rim. Not sure what you are asking on the affect on the tires. Are you swapping out all four?

2012YellowBoss said:
BlazinBoss302 said:

275 is about the biggest recomended for the 9 inch rim. Not sure what you are asking on the affect on the tires. Are you swapping out all four?

Yes, I currently have a set of Brembo wheels that have 255 on all four corners. I want to swap out the rears for the 275 and use the Brembo wheels for my track wheels

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Any recommended hotels in the area? If I were to do this, I'd have to drive down Friday evening. Also, how late can I make the call?

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
BlazinBoss302 said:

When Bullitt owners discovered they had no temporary spare and just the inflation kit, someone came up with a way to put a full size spare in the trunk. I did it myself, and it is great peace of mine on the road. I had to cut the back inside trim piece a little to give clearance for the tire, and then it drops right in after deflating the tire to 15 PSI. I had to buy the jack and tool roll from the dealer, but you might be able to find the stuff on auction or classifieds sites. I still keep the inflation kit in the car to pump up the tire after installing it, which also gives me the possibility to handle two flats.

It seems that Ford gives the inflation kit for any Mustang with 19" or larger wheels from the factory. They did the same in earlier years with 18" wheels since the temp spare was 17", but since the new base Mustang has 18" wheels and there were a lot of complaints, Ford came up with an 18" temporary spare. Not sure what you can do for the Boss - I don't think a complete factory wheel will fit in the trunk well. I am not sure if using a smaller wheel or the 18" temp spare for the base mustang temporarily on the front will work well on the Boss since the car is lowered.

Here is a link where you can check out how it is done for the '05-'09 Mustang here to maybe get some ideas, otherwise I guess you will be at the mercy of the person who responds to RSA if you get more than a nail in your tire:
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169163

BlazinBoss302 said:
Yes, I currently have a set of Brembo wheels that have 255 on all four corners. I want to swap out the rears for the 275 and use the Brembo wheels for my track wheels

Other may tell you different but I would take the factory setup out for your first time, just change the brake fluid. At the level you will be driving you are not going to burn up the Pirelii's in one day. This way you can get a good feel for the car. I have never run anything but a staggered setup on mine so I can not tell you how things will be different. If you run a setup of 275 and 255 I doubt once again you will see a big difference at your level but again others with more experience may feel different.

Your first time is getting to know the car, the way around the track, learning flags etc. It is not about tracking times and going the fastest you will ever go.

ufnavy06 said:
Any recommended hotels in the area? If I were to do this, I'd have to drive down Friday evening. Also, how late can I make the call?

There is a hotel on the track itself Sheraton Four points. http://www.chateauelansebring.com/

You can see it if you look up the track on Google Earth. I never stayed there but know other that come from S FL use it for track days, it is suppose to be nice. There is only a few days left to schedule this, so I do not know what to tell you about time. I would like to lock it in as soon as I can, Mon or Tues.

There are others like LaQuinta Inn & Suites Sebring Hotel on 27

TMO Supporting Vendors