The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any interest in 302R (steeda) wing adapters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but.... I am installing a Boss 302R (Steeda 05-09) wing on my car. To install the wing to the back edge of the trunk, adapters are needed to fill the gap. These adapters are available from the race teams, but I have found that they are quite expensive! I am planning on making my own out of black delrin. Just thought I would ask if anyone here might be interested in a set? Not sure what the cost will be or as far as that goes, if I can even make set that works good and will be relatively cheap to make. Hopefully I will know by the end of the week. Anyone interested?

What would the difference be?
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i459/jza1736/The%20Boss/0e278017874361b28fa28a163cb16177_zps1c9304b8.jpg

Jza1736 said:
What would the difference be?
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i459/jza1736/The%20Boss/0e278017874361b28fa28a163cb16177_zps1c9304b8.jpg

I am trying to mount mine to the very back edge of the trunk. If you slide the spoiler forward to the location you have yours at, you do not need the adapters. I may have to mount mine in the same location as yours if I can't make the adapters. Hopefully I can get it mounted to the back edge of the trunk like the 302R does. I would assume more downforce is created then.

I don't need one but that is a great idea. If the quality is as good as your grilles I'm sure you'll have several takers. Good luck.

Here is the gap I have to fill. Tapers from thin to thick back to thin.

1001337s.jpg

Here is my form of the shim/adapter needed. Just have to turn the clay model into the real thing made out of black delrin.

1001341p.jpg

1001343m.jpg

Oh dammit man, NOW you ask me.

302Rwing_spacer_1.jpg

302Rwing_spacer_2.jpg

302Rwing_spacer_3.jpg

302Rwing_spacer_4.jpg

Astute readers know that I am a DIY guy (if it makes sense) and I have been working on these in my spare time for a couple of weeks. I was going to surprise you guys. ;)

If the price is right, I suppose I'm interested. I'm less than halfway into these and it is a lot of work if you want get all OCD and perfectionistic about them.

06mach1 said:
I am trying to mount mine to the very back edge of the trunk. If you slide the spoiler forward to the location you have yours at, you do not need the adapters. I may have to mount mine in the same location as yours if I can't make the adapters. Hopefully I can get it mounted to the back edge of the trunk like the 302R does. I would assume more downforce is created then.

Got it. Yes I believe you are correct. I would have loved that, but I'm not going through moving them now.

06mach1 said:
Jimmy, I will let you know in a few days if I can make these, otherwise I might be asking you to make a set!!! How thick are you making yours?

I had planned to copy the 302R as much as possible and based upon what I saw and photographed, the rear of the wing pedestals do touch the trunk lid, but the front of the pedestals do not. In other words, the bottom of the wing pedestals are level with the trunk lid, which would make the wing approximately the same rake as if mounted flat on the trunk. The wing just sits a little higher. To increase rake, the wing is then run without the spacers (I saw them do this). I have photos of the bare spacers in the Steeda wing thread. I am not yet at the part of my fabrication where I needed to make a decision yet about thickness and such. Right now I am only trying to match the pedestal curvature.

NFSBOSS said:
Just a thought: as you're looking to make these having the wing sit a bit higher is not a bad thing so having a spacers that completely cover the bottom of the pedestals might be a way to go.

I agree. But on my first one, I have gone past the point of no return. Ideally, the profile for the pedestal and the trunk surface would be in a CAD file (or whatever) and then one would just adjust thickness as needed and print out the spacer on the 3D printer that we will all have sitting on our desks someday.

06mach1, how were you planning on fabricating these? In other words, how do you get from the clay form to Delrin? My artisanal wing adapters are a real time sink. ;)

Jimmy Pribble said:
I agree. But on my first one, I have gone past the point of no return. Ideally, the profile for the pedestal and the trunk surface would be in a CAD file (or whatever) and then one would just adjust thickness as needed and print out the spacer on the 3D printer that we will all have sitting on our desks someday.

06mach1, how were you planning on fabricating these? In other words, how do you get from the clay form to Delrin? My artisanal wing adapters are a real time sink. ;)

I speak to my brother-in-law tomorrow about making these. He owns a machine shop and has fabricated many parts for hot rods and muscle cars. He has the black delrin already. Not sure if he has a way to transfer the deminsions and shape and then cut it out on a CNC? Hope to have these made by this coming Friday. I will keep you posted.

So I finally got the adapters finished. What a pain! Was hoping to be able to make these on a mill or CNC, but turns out had to do it the old fashion way. First step was to drill the 1/4 holes in the 1/2" thick delrin. Then trace out the pedestal mount shape on the delrin. A bandsaw was then used to cut out the shape of the mount. Then the curvature of the deck lid and spoiler was inscribed on the side of each block. Then I used a disc/table sander to cut the curve into each block. I used thin double sided molding tape on each side of the adapter to seal the adapter to the trunk lid and spoiler. I also bolted the spoiler down with 4 - 1/4" bolts. I used my original deck lid, so I had to fill the 5 holes from the original spoiler and repaint the lid also.

Needless to say, I can see why it cost so much to buy these from the racing teams. At this point, I won't be making any more unless I had the trunk and the spoiler in person.

1001364x.jpg

1001363f.jpg

1001362wn.jpg

1001361p.jpg

Looks great! I have been sidelined with other projects, but it looks like ALL of these are custom/artisinal, so I will jump back on mine in another week or so. Such a pain. The pictures make it appear as though you didn't go all the way to the back edge. Was that never your intent (I thought it was), or did you change your mind.

Jimmy Pribble said:
Looks great! I have been sidelined with other projects, but it looks like ALL of these are custom/artisinal, so I will jump back on mine in another week or so. Such a pain. The pictures make it appear as though you didn't go all the way to the back edge. Was that never your intent (I thought it was), or did you change your mind.

Jimmy, I went back to the first crease in the lid. I could have gone back to the next crease, which is the back edge as I was originally planning. But when I checked the location inside where the bolts come thru, I found that the best location was at the first crease instead. It also saved me a little more grinding.

TMO Supporting Vendors