The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any interest in oil cooler mount/brackets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Woohoo! My brackets are already here:
13940658754_6683bd8ecd_z.jpg

Mike- You're awesome! Instructions and details are done like a pro. Better than many aftermarket parts. I also don't know how you get it all done so cost effectively. I've fabricated custom parts with only the welding outsourced and if I were to do one like this by myself I'm sure I would spend quadruple to make just one or two.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're a real asset to this forum!

Grant 302 said:
Woohoo! My brackets are already here:
13940658754_6683bd8ecd_z.jpg

Mike- You're awesome! Instructions and details are done like a pro. Better than many aftermarket parts. I also don't know how you get it all done so cost effectively. I've fabricated custom parts with only the welding outsourced and if I were to do one like this by myself I'm sure I would spend quadruple to make just one or two.

Thanks Grant! If anyone gets to installing their cooler, let me know if there are any issues or changes that need to be done, including the installation instructions. Looking at starting a second batch shortly.

Grant 302 said:
Yes he is. Mine's on it's way.

Grant 302

Parts inbound. Hope to get everything installed over the first weekend in May. Everything for one car is coming in under $600 using the setrab 925 and no T-stat. We'll see if that number holds up post-install, but with these brackets I could do two cars same as the FRPP kit for about the same cost!

Nafod said:
I would be interested in a bracket if they are still available.

Thank you

Bruce

I plan on ordering the steel for the next batch of 10 tomorrow. Should start working on them next week sometime. I put you down on the list.

I'm in for one. PM sent.

I will concur wiht the previous statements. Mike is an asset to our community. Extremely knowledgable, and speaking from expereince always willing to help out when you need a hand...an all around great guy! And a pretty damn good driver too!

Looking forward to seeing what you can do at the Glen on the new rims and track tires.

Grant 302

06mach1 said:
Thanks Grant! If anyone gets to installing their cooler, let me know if there are any issues or changes that need to be done, including the installation instructions. Looking at starting a second batch shortly.
No issues at all with your bracket or instructions! The 925 cooler was set in place in 35 minutes including the bumper cover removal. Thanks again Mike!
14087031264_0ebfcd1ecb_z.jpg

For interested or potential buyers...don't hesitate to get this bracket! I'll post more pics in Rick's thread.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have to agree. My bracket arrived and it totally exceeded my expectations! It's not just the bracket. The bracket came pre assembled with all of the attachment hardware. Cooler core insulators are included as well.

The instructions are first rate and there is even an install orientation label affixed to the bracket to make the install fool proof.

Excellent product John and thank you so much for all you do.
All the best from a very satisfied customer.
Dave
(2HP)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Next, I do have a general oil cooler install question. I see that most everyone runs the AN10 oil cooler lines across the lower front of the engine, then connect to the cooler from the right side, (passenger side).

Why do we not run the AN10 cooler lines around the radiator from the Left or drivers side? Wouldn't we be able to run shorter oil cooler lines this way? Is there something that prevents this.

I have not yet removed the bumper and lower engine covers to inspect the routing options for the oil cooler lines, but I would like to run shorter oil cooler lines if possible.

Thanks for any advice.
Dave

Grant 302

Dave- That's exactly what I was thinking before I started my install. Short answer is that I couldn't find a good way to make it work that way. The bend I wanted to make was too tight for the -10 hose without starting to crimp it. If you look at the shot below, routing the lines to the driver side (right in the pic) would make it wrap contacting the sway bar either under or over and I tried both. So between the sway contact and tight radius I called it a no-go. Maybe with the right angled fitting, it could be made to work that way. The only other practical route IMO would be to go under everything and cut both lower plastic belly pan/under trays to make it work under the radiator (which I believe steveespo did). I didn't want to cut any of the plastic or route hoses any lower than the lowest metal parts for protection on the street.
13899823377_55d3c3b254_z.jpg
14086939714_1fafdfe079_z.jpg

Hope that helps!

The sway bar really gets in the way to run the hoses out the drivers side of the radiator. That is the location I wanted to go with but I just couldn't find a safe way to route the hose as I do not want the hose to get damaged. And as Grant stated, you can go below the radiator, but you will need to cut holes in the bottom plastic shield and the hose would have been sticking out with no protection. I did not like running the long hoses but I felt the safest way to run the hose was out the passenger side of the radiator.

I did run the lines under the sway bar driver side and to the cooler. Worked good for sensor location in the plate. A lot of room around everything and kept the lines shorter. Mounted the cooler top to bottom as recommended by Setrab. I used full braided stainless line and then used a thermotec sleeve. As far as protection, I ended up with only a 1 inch square relieved into the pan that drops to access the oil filter. I tried putting up a couple pics. What is the easiest way to post pics? Thanks.

Next batch of brackets should be at the powder coater by the middle of next week. So maybe a week or so later they will be ready to ship. And there are a few that are not spoken for. Mike

The brackets are back from the powder coater. Anyone that was on the list has been notified. I still have a few extra available if anyone is interested. Just send me your shipping zip so I can figure total cost.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Installed mine a few days back.

I had fabricated a simple mount from strap. Cooler sat lower and out air flow.

This mount fits the cooler centered in the grill opening.

Nice piece.

One hole to drill

If you are on the fence, buy it!!

Great design and workmanship

TMO Supporting Vendors