The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any issues with this rim/tire combo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

I got a new set of wheels and tires for my track event this weekend and need advice.
It's not the perfect staggered setup, but what I could find on short notice was:

2 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
255/40R19XL 100Y VSB

2 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
285/35R19 99Y SBL

Both on RTR 19x9.5 rims.

The only difference from stock is the 9.5 wide rim in the front. Will that cause any problems?

thanks.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
There's a guy on SVTP running RTR rims and stock size tires. ALLKHEINZ I think.

Here:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-boss-302-mustang-373/869825-my-new-white-2012-boss-302-rtrs.html

Sesshomurai

Yeah, the front tires barely fit, but their snug and the back tires are a bit too wide, but they also fit snugly.

I think after this weekends track day I will move these tires back onto the stock rims and go with a fully square setup on these 19x9.5, with 275x35x19 tires. Does that sound reasonable? Or too wide still?

Grant 302

darreng505 said:
Yeah, the front tires barely fit, but their snug and the back tires are a bit too wide, but they also fit snugly.

I think after this weekends track day I will move these tires back onto the stock rims and go with a fully square setup on these 19x9.5, with 275x35x19 tires. Does that sound reasonable? Or too wide still?

That would definitely work. Though I'd probably run 285/35 or if running square, but that's just a preference for a taller and wider tire. I definitely think 255 is too narrow for 9.5" rims. I think they're too narrow for the stock 9"!

If you do run square, I'd suggest going to a rear sway bar that's equivalent to about 22mm, or adjustable to that range. JMO.

Sesshomurai

Grant 302 said:
darreng505 said:

That would definitely work. Though I'd probably run 285/35 or if running square, but that's just a preference for a taller and wider tire. I definitely think 255 is too narrow for 9.5" rims. I think they're too narrow for the stock 9"!

If you do run square, I'd suggest going to a rear sway bar that's equivalent to about 22mm, or adjustable to that range. JMO.

Cool. Thanks Grant!

So I have the 255's on the front now and will be at the track for 2 days starting Monday. I will move to a 275/40 front and 275/35 rear afterwards (for this wheel set), but do you think it's safe with the 255's on the front for now? I realize they will wear poorly stretched on this rim. It was all I could get on short notice.

Grant 302

I don't think there's anything unsafe about the sizes mounted since the manufacturer lists those size rims/tires as compatible. You still need to monitor your hot temps, tread profile temps and wear patterns, etc. to be safe IMO.

TMO Supporting Vendors