The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any S550 (non-GT350) owners here - how do you like it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I understand that this site is primarily dedicated to Boss 302 and GT350 owners, but are there any members who own an s550 GT? If so, are you also a Boss 302 owner/previous owner? What were your first reactions when driving the S550 GT compared to the Boss 302?

I've read articles on this comparison and see mixed reviews, but what are your personal experiences and which one would you say is a "better car," both on and off the track? 8)

I'm not an ex Boss302 owner, this is actually my first mustang, but I have a GT PP.

I'm very active on the forums for these cars, and from everything I've read, the GT PP is faster around a track than a Boss302 NON Laguna Seca. I've read lots of reviews from s197 GT and Boss owners who say its a much better platform to start with.

From my perspective, I love it. I've done some small mods over my first year, and have really made a huge difference on the feel and performance of the car.

Comp Orange,

While the concensous that the s550 platform is a improvement on the s197, I doubt that a stock s550 gt is faster on road courses than a stock 302. C&D lightening lap times along and my limited experiences on track with my 302 are the basis of my opinion. All bets are off once either platform is modified from "stock" , as track performance can be greatly improved by tires, weight reduction, and suspension upgrades. That's part of the fun for these cars....there's always something that can be modified to improve performance. 8)

Pretty sure Steve had a good comparison between his heavily modified S197 (way faster than a boss) and a lightly modified S550. And from what i remember, the S550 was significantly faster.

Ian is not specifically asking which one is faster but that review pitted a Boss 302 with tires that were a few years old vs a brand new 2015 GT. Put fresh tires on the Boss and it would have been a different story.

There is no doubt in my mind that the S550 is a better riding and handling car. If it wasn't Ford would have problems. If this car is going to be your daily driver then get the S550 variant. (I have another friend that's going to sell one with less than 1,000 miles on it) If you're looking for something fun to drive with lots of personality then get the Boss. The Boss will always be the Boss. ;)

Thanks for all the opinions and feedback, all. I have always been curious about this particular subject and actually intended to purchase a new '16-'17 GT with PP and Recaros until I came to realize that the more exclusive '12-13 Boss 302s were priced about the same, if not less. That being said, I do see many nice examples of s550 GTs on the road and I can't help but think how much potential they have (aesthetically). That being said, I haven't driven each back to back, so I figured reaching out on TMO would provide me answers to the performance and capability comparison of each car.

My personal opinions are:

1. The S550 body is purely amazing. Love their lines more so than any s197 (assuming proper wheel and stance combo)

2. S550 has more creature comforts for cruising and occasional commutes to work

3. S550 can be had brand new, with Ford warranty, for just a tad bit more than a Boss 302

4. S550 has IRS - comfort and performance

5. Boss 302 is a limited production car not seen on an everyday basis

6. Boss 302 engine is built with forged internals so one would think it will last a very long time (although I have heard of some dying after only a few years)

7. Boss 302 was designed as purpose-built track car with a license plate. Raw fun!

8. Boss 302 will likely retain value much better than any GT, modded or stock. Although no car should be purchased as an investment, if this holds true, it is definitely an added bonus should I ever want/need to sell it.

-Rick, what's the scoop on your friend's 1k mile GT? Was hoping to be in your neck of the woods this weekend to meet with Dave but he's out of town.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Boss 302 is a very cool and very track competent limited edition Mustang that has held it value very well. I have a 2016 GT/PP base with Recaros that I feel is quicker than the Boss stock to stock (with same track tires and track pads). My 2011 GT has 442 RWHP, JRi coilovers, 15" 6 piston brakes and is 110lbs lighter than my '16. Side by side at Watkins Glen on my first track day with the new car it ran within .1 second of the old car. This despite the Baus running 151 mph on the back straight vs 143 in the '16. Since then I have upped the power with GT350 manifold and improved the handling with the Ford FR8 suspension package. At Road America the '16 was 2.16 seconds faster than my Baus, still being 4 mph slower on the straights due to the GT350R wing I also added. The S550 is in my opinion the quicker track car and has more space to improve vs the S197/Boss cars. Some down sides to consider for the S550 are cooling for the differential and engine oil on track. Long sessions at high speed tracks will bring diff temps to 290-300 and oil to 275. I am working up cooling solutions for both similar to what many of us did with the Boss cars. As a daily driver (which my '16 is) this is no concern. You won't go "wrong" with either choice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I had a 2012 BOSS LS. I loved that great car. Then I began modifying it and it got better bit by bit. I was enjoying every track weekend more and more.

Then I bought a 2015 S550 GT PP. That car had a more solid feel to it. It also seemed to handle and grip the road better than my modified BOSS, though it didn't have the same visceral roar about it.

I sold them both to buy a GT350R.

voodoo child21 said:
Boss 302 is a very cool and very track competent limited edition Mustang that has held it value very well. I have a 2016 GT/PP base with Recaros that I feel is quicker than the Boss stock to stock (with same track tires and track pads). My 2011 GT has 442 RWHP, JRi coilovers, 15" 6 piston brakes and is 110lbs lighter than my '16. Side by side at Watkins Glen on my first track day with the new car it ran within .1 second of the old car. This despite the Baus running 151 mph on the back straight vs 143 in the '16. Since then I have upped the power with GT350 manifold and improved the handling with the Ford FR8 suspension package. At Road America the '16 was 2.16 seconds faster than my Baus, still being 4 mph slower on the straights due to the GT350R wing I also added. The S550 is in my opinion the quicker track car and has more space to improve vs the S197/Boss cars. Some down sides to consider for the S550 are cooling for the differential and engine oil on track. Long sessions at high speed tracks will bring diff temps to 290-300 and oil to 275. I am working up cooling solutions for both similar to what many of us did with the Boss cars. As a daily driver (which my '16 is) this is no concern. You won't go "wrong" with either choice. Good luck.

This is exactly what I've read over the dozens of vids/threads on this topic. Thanks for posting.

Boss is more raw and faster in a straight line (lighter and more hp) but S550 is as fast or faster around the track.

Keep us posted on your oil and diff solutions. I'm not liking Mishimotos design that removes the factory oil cooler for their own, I'd prefer something similar to those found on this forum for the s197s.

Dig-It said:
I had a 2012 BOSS LS. I loved that great car. Then I began modifying it and it got better bit by bit. I was enjoying every track weekend more and more.

Then I bought a 2015 S550 GT PP. That car had a more solid feel to it. It also seemed to handle and grip the road better than my modified BOSS, though it didn't have the same visceral roar about it.

I sold them both to buy a GT350R.

PSH, way to downgrade. ;D

I would go with the S550. It will have a warranty and is the more refined car for daily use. With a few changes, the S550 is undeniably faster than the Boss around a road coarse.

Both cars will need engine, differential, and possibly transmission coolers installed depending on how much you track your car.

The S550 coyote engine has almost all of the Road Runner durability improvements. The only real difference is that the S550 generation 2 coyote has hypereutectic pistons vs forged. For a non-supercharged application, that is not really a big deal.

As far as straight line speed, you could install the Ford Performance GT350 Power Pack 3 (M-9452-M8). The kit comes with a GT350 intake, throttle body, cold air, and calibration. You can find the Power Pack 3 kit for under $2,000. Best of all, you retain your full factory warranty if it is installed by Ford or a qualified technician. Steve Esposito can chime in on how much the intake swap wakes up the car.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9452-M8

In comparison, the Cobra Jet Power Pack for the 2011 - 2014 cars has no calibration, costs about the same, and will void the warranty.

Basically what I am getting at is if you get an S550 and want to modify the car, Ford Performance is developing power and handling packages that can be installed without voiding the warranty. This is a big change compared to the parts offered for the previous generation car.

Seems that the reviews I've read/watched are true - stock vs stock, the s550 is quicker around a track. That is good to know! It is always nice to hear opinions from actual owners that have had both cars.

That being said, I still think i will be getting a Boss 302 for its exclusiveness and long term 'cool factor.' It doesn't hurt that it's track capable out of the box either 8).

@VoodooBOSS please don't pass this car on. I was hoping to bring it home this weekend but it'll have to wait until next week since Dave is out of town ;)

Since I wasn't able to go see my potential future Boss this weekend I decided to kill a couple hours at the local Ford dealership, Fremont Ford. They had a very nice 2017 Grabber Blue GT350 ($75k :eek:) sitting right next to a 2012 Boss 302 LS black/red ($75k :eek:). both were in the showroom so I wasn't able to test drive either :mad:

Although, they saw me looking over a grabber blue GT/CS in the showroom and offered to let me test drive one off the lot (why not!). Needless to say, I drove it, and drove it pretty hard :D I've driven an s550 when they first came out, but the only one they had at that time was an automatic with paddle shift. The GT/CS I drove yesterday had the 6-spd and I must say it was a pretty fun car. One thing that disappointed me was how quiet it was. I wish these GTs would growl a bit more in stock form to bring that extra level of excitement when driving it. The stock brakes felt good, shifter was smooth, and the car took turns very well. It definitely will be my next option if I can't land that perfect Boss 302...

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
@Sydeway6:

What is your intended use for the new Mustang? Everyday driver or sunny day weekend use?

Do you intend to track the car and if so how many track days per year? Will you be modding the car and if so what are your intended mods? Do you have a must do or top 3 mod list?

My 2012 Boss 302 is my first Mustang and I've done a mod or two to my Boss. No doubt, the Boss is a fun car and after nearly 5 years of ownership, she still continues to turn heads most everywhere I take her.

Once you make a list of the "pros v cons" compare that list with your needs for the new Mustang you should have a clear direction.

Or, you could place an order for a 2017 GT350 or GT350R and call it a day! I would think that would satisfy all of your needs and/or concerns.

Either way, good luck with your quest,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
@Sydeway6:

What is your intended use for the new Mustang? Everyday driver or sunny day weekend use?

Do you intend to track the car and if so how many track days per year? Will you be modding the car and if so what are your intended mods? Do you have a must do or top 3 mod list?

My 2012 Boss 302 is my first Mustang and I've done a mod or two to my Boss. No doubt, the Boss is a fun car and after nearly 5 years of ownership, she still continues to turn heads most everywhere I take her.

Once you make a list of the "pros v cons" compare that list with your needs for the new Mustang you should have a clear direction.

Or, you could place an order for a 2017 GT350 or GT350R and call it a day! I would think that would satisfy all of your needs and/or concerns.

Either way, good luck with your quest,
302 Hi Pro

Hi 2hp,

I've pretty much made my decision to get a Boss 302. This thread was just to hear what other owners' experience is comparing the two as all the articles/threads I've read give mixed opinions. That being said:

1. My intended use is to drive the car on sunny days/weekends. Definitely not a daily driver.

2. I would hope to do a handful of trackdays each year, but realistically, with my kids' activities and other plans/events, i would likely only see 2-3 every year. I've had several mustang track-only cars in the previous years that I've had to sell due to them just sitting around and not getting used. Hence the reason for me to want a mustang that can be used for both enjoyable street driving as well as being capable of hitting the track should time work in my favor.

3. When I see a Boss on the road it also catches my attention alot more than any other s550 GT I see. Not that I'm an attention whore or anything, but it's nice to have an "older" mustang that still stands out from the rest. Don't get me wrong, there are many well-done s550s cruising the streets of the Bay Area, but as many have said, the Boss will always be the Boss.

4. I have made my list of pros vs cons already which is what lead me to the decision of : Boss>s550 GT.

5. Trust me, I would LOVE to own any year GT350, but the cost of them, even at MSRP with no ADM, is a bit out of my budget for a "toy" at this moment. Hopefully one day, but it wouldn't be logical with all my children's expenses.

TMO Supporting Vendors