The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any thoughts about Boostane additive??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Our best pump fuel is 97 RON so that would be 92-93 AKI. In my logs you do not see much knock but I add a little Sonoco for extra protection. I always say NO...Lol... But I thought Engine labs was respectable so worth the question!

My AED tune is great but the knock only adds a max of three degrees (-3deg) and stays fixed at that. I assume thats a fuel problem.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
At least you can bump a full point just by adding a gallon!

I use 4 gal. of 101 to bump our 91 piss-tane up to 93+. And *that* costs me between $32 and $40/tank. I only 'need' about 3 gal./tank to be shy of 93, but I try not to think of the extra $8-10 compared to the cost of an engine...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What advance do you get on your knock sensor?? I just double checked and the Sonoco I add is the 260 GT plus with 104 (R+M)/2.... So I would need to add a 50%/50% mix to get to 98.5. Shaun recommended a 5 point hike over 93 pump gas. Maybe a 95 would be a little more affordable :(

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The more I look at the logs the less I understand, so maybe I should stop looking at them....... But it bugs me not knowing!

Grant 302

What advance do you get on your knock sensor?? I just double checked and the Sonoco I add is the 260 GT plus with 104 (R+M)/2.... So I would need to add a 50%/50% mix to get to 98.5. Shaun recommended a 5 point hike over 93 pump gas. Maybe a 95 would be a little more affordable :(

I don't know. I just have the TK on the Boss and the GT has the FR Procal tune. Both will ping at about 4k at heavy tip-in with 91. It either goes away or I can't hear it at about 92 mixed levels. I go to 93 for peace of mind/insurance at the track.

That's pretty steep if you need 98. Are you sure he didn't mean +0.5? Half a tank at $30/gal would eat most of my track budget waaaaay too quickly!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well at least the logs show that the Knock is advancing -3 degrees with out pulling timing at any point. Here is what Shaun said... It is HIGHLY recommend you run at least 5 octane points higher when on the road course and racing for safety. Getting the full 5 pts will be bigger then my R7 budget!

Grant 302

I'm surprised that much higher would be recommended if it's a ~93 tune and doesn't ping on pump gas. Again, are you sure he doesn't mean +0.5? a common reference to increased octane 'points' is +0.1. Or at least when advertised on a lot of octane 'boosters'.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
It looks like you can get E85-R down there. Not sure how much it is per gallon but according to this http://sunoco.cl/gasolinas/e85-r/

Sunoco E85-R is a 104-octane, lead-free , highly oxygenated racing fuel that contains an 85% ethanol volume. It can only be used in fuel systems designed specifically for E85 mixes

Maybe worth a shot.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
hmm..... this from http://www.whitfieldoil.com/171.287/racing-gasoline

Don't substitute Aviation Gasoline for Racing Gasoline unless your race engine operates at 10,000 feet altitude, and does not exceed 2,800 RPM.

Many racers see Aviation Gasoline (AvGas) as a way to reduce the cost of their racing operation. This may be true, but if you want the most out of your engine and want to avoid problems. AvGas may not be your first choice. AvGas is a good gasoline for low speed aircraft engines that run at 2,700 to 2,800 RPM at 10,000 feet or higher. This does not mean it is a good gasoline for racing engines operating at 8,000 to 10,000 RPM. AvGas is also illegal to use in anything except aircraft engines. Violations can carry a potential penalty of $25,000.00 per day of violation.

AvGas octane numbers are determined in a different test than motor gasoline octane numbers. Do not be confused by the big numbers from the AvGas test method. They are not comparable to motor gasoline test numbers. The 110 leaded gasoline will test out at about 160 on the AvGas scale.

AvGas is held to tighter requirements than street gasoline, but not nearly as tight as is the entire line of Racing Gasolines. Some racing gasoline blenders us AvGas as a blending component to save money.

AvGas has a lower specific gravity than most racing gasolines. This means that if a racer tries AvGas and has not re-jetted, he can burn a piston because the air-fuel ratio is too lean and/or the engine detonated. To make a good comparison between two gasolines, the air-fuel mixtures must be the same. Even after re-jetting, the racer can experience burned pistons with AvGas if the Motor Octane Number (MON) is lower than what his or her engine needs.

Another potential problem with AvGas is that there are several different octane grades. The 80/87 grade is red in color and can get you in lots of trouble because of its very low octane number. The 100LL is blue and the 100/130 grade is green. Both of these have much lower Motor Octane Numbers (MON) than most racing gasolines and will detonate when the engine octane demand is greater than the octane number of the gasoline.

The bottom line is: Feed that high dollar racing engine a good grade of gasoline so it will deliver the maximum performance. Don't use "low bidder" mentality.

I feel chastized for looking at this LOL!

Grant 302

E85 might be higher octane, but contains about half the energy of regular gasoline. It's good for boosted applications, because it's more stable. But needs tuning and fuel system upgrades to dump twice the fuel volume. I think it only makes sense if it's readily available in your area as you will fill up nearly twice as often.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
E85 might be higher octane, but contains about half the energy of regular gasoline. It's good for boosted applications, because it's more stable. But needs tuning and fuel system upgrades to dump twice the fuel volume. I think it only makes sense if it's readily available in your area as you will fill up nearly twice as often.
Yup. Looks like I will need to mix in some sunoco to get the octane up a bit just in case. Would you guys consider engine labs a decent source of info??

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Waking this thread back up, my pinging/knocking is pretty noticeable with the TK at mid throttle below 3000-3500 RPM and I don't enjoy either using the silver key or paying $10/gal of 100 octane.
I talked to a Ford mechanic and he recommended a few gallons of E85 per tank to bring up the octane.
I have never used E85 or octane booster, but I am leaning towards E85.
Does anyone have any strong reasoning to not use a few gallons of E85 per tank on a stock fuel system?
I am thinking the answer may be different on the street vs. the track. Not too worried about using it on the street but on the track I definitely don't want to starve the engine.

Grant 302

Does anyone have any strong reasoning to not use a few gallons of E85 per tank on a stock fuel system?

E85 might be higher octane, but contains about half the energy of regular gasoline.

3 gal would reduce the stoich down about 90% so you are relying on the tune and fuel system to eventually adjust for adding 10-11% more fuel. I wouldn't count on that working with a tune that is not 'expecting' E85. I wouldn't recommend it or try it myself, but am curious if it would work.

For the street I'd rather put in 2 gals of 100 octane (for an effective ~92.1), or grab the silver key.

Minium 3.5 gal for the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel