The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anybody duplicate the Bullitt double shift with their BOSS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Anybody duplicate the Bullit double shift with their BOSS?

No, but my overrun sounds close 8)

Watching the chase, did anybody notice they passed the same green VW bug 4 times? That thing must be faster than they are. I still want to know how to do that Bullitt bam...bam shift.

BLAZN BOSS

Are you talking about the double clutching?

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

302BOB said:
Watching the chase, did anybody notice they passed the same green VW bug 4 times? That thing must be faster than they are. I still want to know how to do that Bullitt bam...bam shift.

That's because they compiled a bunch of the camera angles into a single string of clips, so you see the same part of the chase from the Mustang, from the Charger and from the street.

Is there an advantage to double clutching? I love the sound of it in that Bullitt video. Anybody up to doing a double clutch BOSS video? This must involve some fancy footwork?

302BOB said:
Is there an advantage to double clutching?

To my knowledge there is no advantage to double clutching The BOSS. Double clutching was use for unsynchronized manual transmissions. It was used to match the rpm of the engine when shifting gears to help with the engagement of the transmission.

To do it properly will take quite a bit of practice.

BLAZN BOSS

Not needed in a synchronized transmission..........Basically heard in cars and trucks when the brass rings have worn the grooves down in the inside diameter and cant stop the selected gear from spiining so the slider can couple it. What you hear is the driver pushing the clutch in, pulling on the shifter holding pressure on the shifter while he "pats" the gas a coupe times trying to get the speed of the cluster gear and the main shaft in "time" so the shifter can slip in place. SO...basically in your new Boss you would just push the clutch in rev the motor twice real quick and pull it into gear.........DON'T keep pressure on the shifter cause you car will slip int gear because it is fully synchronized..............VROOOOM (vroom vroom) VROOOOOOOOOOM (vroom vroom).......... ;D

I did a little research & found that double clutching was needed back in the 20/30's era trannys with no synchros...I was just wondering why it was used in that Bullitt chase scene...I love the way it sounds!

BLAZN BOSS

Double clutching was a "cool" sound back then.............But in reality it ment your gear box was crap LOL.

GA
302BOB said:
I did a little research & found that double clutching was needed back in the 20/30's era trannys with no synchros...I was just wondering why it was used in that Bullitt chase scene...I love the way it sounds!

The double clutching was actually a dubbed engine sound of a GT 40 during the high speed chase scenes. Only certain parts of the chase was the actual GT390 sound. I think they did it because the Charger 440 sounded so good.

PJWANNABE said:
302BOB said:

The double clutching was actually a dubbed engine sound of a GT 40 during the high speed chase scenes. Only certain parts of the chase was the actual GT390 sound. I think they did it because the Charger 440 sounded so good.

Exactly. Movies are made to entertain. I think when the Bullitt gets on the highway he is constantly upshifting, the car only had 4 gears so it would be impossible for him to shift that much. It's all Sound Editing.

One little flub to look for is when the Charger hits the gas pumps...the car actually shoots right through the explosion.

Favorite part of the chase....when Bullitt misses the corner and shifts to R, watching those wheels chop backwards always gives me chills. I'd love to get my car to do that.

I always double clutch + heel toe on every downshift, and eventhough not technically necessary in a modern synchronized transmission: -> it's still extra care for that mt82 ( which has been good to me). of course it sounds cool too and keeps me busy.

Now the Bullit one is a double clutch AND *double rev* heal toe, thats pretty crazy I guess meant for engines with very high inertia ( engines whose revs drop really quickly, which is not the case in modern cars anyway) OR his RPM shift point is very high on his car and he needs to keep it up while clutching in the next gear down ( hence doing it twice).

it shoud be pointed there are two types of double clutching heel toe:

the REV MATCHING ONLY : keep clutch pressed while revving in between gears. this matches the revs for a smooth downshift transition
the REL DOUBLE CLUTCHING: clutch to neutral , *let go of clutch*, rev , clutch again to next gear. this ones rev matches AND saves the synchros. the other doesn't save anything on the gearbox. of course this real one mated to the braking ( heel toe) is te tougher one to get used to.

PS: make sure you have the right shoes for this. narrow, flexible and some rubber on the side and on the heel.

rom

PJWANNABE said:
302BOB said:

Just curious, but where did you get this info. I am very familiar how a GT40 sounds, and thats not the sound.

GA
stef said:
PJWANNABE said:
302BOB said:

Just curious, but where did you get this info. I am very familiar how a GT40 sounds, and thats not the sound.

I picked that info up along the way being a Bullitt owner over at IMBOC.com. I never cared enough to check the facts myself; call me Wikipedia ;) I doubt 1968 soundtracks were very good at reproducing the sound.

TMO Supporting Vendors