The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anybody hearing this noise??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was on our club’s wine tour this last weekend and noticed a rattling sound coming from what seemed to be the front of the gear box area under the trans tunnel. It was most noticeable while creeping along at 20-30mph in traffic. It was noticeable enough for my girlfriend to comment on it. Its not the first time I’ve noticed it as a friend mentioned it while riding with me. Sometimes you can make it go away by putting the gearbox in neutral and letting the car coast…sometimes not. It’s a bit puzzling as I was trying to think is it gearbox (like input shaft bearing etc) , throw out bearing, or even noise from the trans cooler pump. I was waiting till I had some miles to see if that would mitigate the issue. So now with about 1350mi nothing has gotten any better…might be worse.

Since the cars are so new I was wondering if any of you have heard anything of this nature on any of the other cars? It definitely strikes me as something unusual as this wouldn’t be something I would call a normal sound at all. The cars ability to shift isn’t impacted although I would say the Tremec isn’t the smoothest shifting gear box I’ve ever experienced.

Appreciate any feedback anyone has on this.

I have not heard any noise like that on my 2016 GT350 track pack. I'd take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Good luck and welcome to TMO!

VoodooBOSS said:
I have not heard any noise like that on my 2016 GT350 track pack. I'd take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Good luck and welcome to TMO!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm just checking some of the forums to see if anyone has experienced this kind of noise/rattle sound. I'm taking it to Willow Springs in early May for the Cobra Club event. Should be fun!

TMO Supporting Vendors