The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 anybody know how to bypass the start/stop button?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Any Electrical Engineers in da house? If not, anybody know of someone, or a way to bypass the start/stop button, or a way to replicate the signal? I don't want to lug that silly panel all for just one button.

1669317402023.png
Looking at the Ford Racing red start button install guide, you can see that it is somewhat modular, like the lower half is removable for buttons or flip switches, and the midsection for heated/cooled seats.

1669317507803.png
I mean, I guess at worst, I can pull out the PCB and find a way to mount it but having a green board just floating with radio knobs seems stupid, although I don't see why I couldn't remove those knobs either, not like I've got a screen, stereo, or disc drive. Actually, problem with the floating PCB is that the buttons are held in by the frame and have that rubber touchpad between the contacts, but I guess I could cut the lower half of the frame so that the pcb can still screw and keep all of its placements. As you can see, I don't care about the rest of the functionality as I disable all of the traction control with the dyno plug under the stock airbox, and I'm used to the normal steering mode it defaults to.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I could probably search and sweep for the remote start signal, but I have a Base GT, so don't have that to begin with. I assume that's going through the PATS module, becuase the 4g modem is on both the base and premium packages for the WiFi connectivity for I guess Sync updates and of course, calling home for things like telemetry and ford pass.

In the V6L
I could probably search and sweep for the remote start signal, but I have a Base GT, so don't have that to begin with. I assume that's going through the PATS module, becuase the 4g modem is on both the base and premium packages for the WiFi connectivity for I guess Sync updates and of course, calling home for things like telemetry and ford pass.
I took a look at the wiring diagrams for my 2016 GT350, which has all the 2016 models in it and I came away without a lot of inspiration. The switch itself isn't particularly complicated, but there's no way to know what it actually does. There is a fairly basic circuit connecting the switch to the BCM that seems to trigger the PCM to activate the starter solenoid or shut the engine down. However, there's really no indication of the various other modules that need to be told that the car is now running. That's all CAN bus stuff and it's vague, as far as I can see.

it has to just be a momentary switch with a little led in it so you'll have at least 3 wires/connections going to it.
should be easy to solder some leads to a board, pin a deutsch connector, and then all you have to do is wire up whatever swtich you want.

as for the key if you lift the cupholder mat you'll find a little place to put the key fob. that is where it'll detect the key without using the proximity stuff (just like the old days with the chip in the key). this thread might be helpful.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel