The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

anyone burning oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am not a mechanic by any means , so I asked my Dad who was a GM/CHEVY/BUICK mechanic, (HE LOVES FORDS NOW. LOL) for over 40 yrs.
He told me with the 5W oils you will get a small amount of oil loss due to
weight of oil. Checking every couple of months depending on mileage you will loose some. Checked mine down 1/4 qt. I have 700 miles on my car, no track runs, just up and down on RPM, especially with track key in.

They all do at first. My Boss ate a couple litres of oil in the first 3,000 Kms. but havent added any since then and it is up to 6,000 now.

I had a similar experience. the first 4000mi the car burnt exactly 1 qt. since then, it has not burnt any measurable amount. And i didn't really follow ford's recommended break-in process.

First off how many 2013's are losing oil? Heard ford changed the pistons from 12 to 13 because of high rpm oil consumption. Also a catch can will help you see how much oil is sucked up through the pcv . I don't burn any oil but lose a few table spoons a month in the catch can. check your muffler tips for extra black carbon build up,that is a sign of oil consumption and a trip to the dealer.As you put more miles on your car you will see alittle less in the catch can. I hear also that forged pistons need to heat up to temp. for proper spec's. Also pull a plug and check for oil as a last resort.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Changed my oil at 1,800 miles I was down 1 qrt. Now I have 4200 miles and about less then a qrt.
The 2013 Mustangs and Bosses have oil warning lights way before they get down so low. But 2012s didn't let you know till your empty or almost a qrt left which isn't very good at all.

I burned alot of oil the 1st 2k-3k, it was couple of qts, I have 13k and now it doesn't burn any. I think it's just part of break-in process. Not to say there isn't something wrong, but I read quit a few threads addressing this same subject and the story was the same.

TMO Supporting Vendors