The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

anyone burning oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just checked my oil and it was low and had to add one quart. I have 2,000 miles and I was going to get my oil change in a couple of weeks. Anyone else with this problem and what do you think what's causing this issue? I have never had a new car burn oil like this.

Yea I had the same thing a couple times during the first 2-3000 miles and wondered the same as you. I hadn't ever had a new car burn oil like that either. It appears to be a break-in phenomenon with this engine. It seems to have stopped in mine now.

Im at the 2000 miles too, I went through 2 quarts already. about a Half Quart every 500 miles, thankfully I check it every fill up so kept on top of it :)
I too heard that it goes away after 2-3000 miles so no need to worry but keep checking level at least every 500 miles ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm heading to Ford this week to get my oil changed. The first one is on them.
I will monitor the oil level.

never had to add one drop of oil????? I have also changed it out 4 times now so each fill wasn't in there long at all.....

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I was down 1 qt after 3 track days and about 1000 miles. Has anyone actually seen oil consumption drop after 2000 or so miles? I was thinking of calling Ford Racing for some guidance on what to expect as far as oil consumption is concerned.

PS: I have one JLT oil seperator installed in passenger side - worked well and caught about 1/4" of oil after 2 track days at VIR. I'm installing the drivers side as soon as it arrives.

PeteInCT said:
I was down 1 qt after 3 track days and about 1000 miles. Has anyone actually seen oil consumption drop after 2000 or so miles? I was thinking of calling Ford Racing for some guidance on what to expect as far as oil consumption is concerned.

PS: I have one JLT oil seperator installed in passenger side - worked well and caught about 1/4" of oil after 2 track days at VIR. I'm installing the drivers side as soon as it arrives.
Yes I had consumption of 1 quart on two separate occasions in the first 2-3k miles. I haven't noticed significant consumption since then and I currently have 6,000 miles on the car. That said, I have been changing oil approximately every 4 track days so it's usually in the 500-750 mile range including street driving.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cloud - Are you using Motorcraft or another brand? In the past I've had a lot of luck with Castrol Syntec (now Syntec Edge) with my low displacement turbo engines and was planning on keeping with the traditionb with the Boss. Some drivers I drive run swear by AMSOIL but I can't justify the cost gven that I swap it out so freqently and and just running the car on track days (no wheel-2-wheel racing). To me Mobil 1 has little difference that I can see. Most others are reported to be inferior (i.e. Royal Purple).

PeteInCT said:
Cloud - Are you using Motorcraft or another brand? In the past I've had a lot of luck with Castrol Syntec (now Syntec Edge) with my low displacement turbo engines and was planning on keeping with the traditionb with the Boss. Some drivers I drive run swear by AMSOIL but I can't justify the cost gven that I swap it out so freqently and and just running the car on track days (no wheel-2-wheel racing). To me Mobil 1 has little difference that I can see. Most others are reported to be inferior (i.e. Royal Purple).
On my GT500 I ran mostly Mobil 1 5W-50 full synthetic, but now am using the Motorcraft 5W-50. I have only used Motorcraft 5W-50 in the Boss. I just can't find a compelling reason to use anything other than what Ford specified, especially when it's under warranty.

cloud9 said:
On my GT500 I ran mostly Mobil 1 5W-50 full synthetic, but now am using the Motorcraft 5W-50. I have only used Motorcraft 5W-50 in the Boss. I just can't find a compelling reason to use anything other than what Ford specified, especially when it's under warranty.

Correct. No reason to use anything other than the Motorcraft 5w-50. It is of great quality. Also please note you HAVE to use 5w50 weight oil. So why not? Change it when it needs it and you will have just as much life out of it as if you used castrol or Mobil or whatever.... I am hoping some oil nut sends a few reports off to blackstone or whomever to find out what the best stuff to use is. From what I know we have Mobil 1, Motorcraft, and Castrol.....

Changed original oil at just under 2K. Just turned over 4600 mi yesterday and checked oil last night. Hasn't burned a drop in 2600 miles. Level was at the top of the range on the stick.

Let me tell you a funny(not really at all) story about burning oil...

Well, let's start with the fact that I know next to nothing about cars, but assume that new cars would be fine in regards to oil(yeah, wrong). I got my car and drove it for 2000 miles, then had the dealership change the oil. They were all shocked that it took as much oil as it did, so I fully believe they filled it all the way up when they changed the oil. Flash forward 4500 miles and my engine starts throwing a camshaft positioning sensor code. The dealership calls Ford and lets them know and then waits back on an answer as to why. A few days later the check engine light finally caught up to the cam sensor code, so I took it in again just to verify that this is why the light went on. Ford's first recommendation is to check oil levels. Yeah, in 4500 miles, it turns out I was 6 quarts low. And I guess Ford actually says that 1qt of oil every 1500 miles is "normal". wtf

So needless to say when I get her back out in the spring I will be checking my oil religiously. I was unaware that my car eats oil for breakfast, but now I know.

PS. There was never any leaks or smoke from my car burning oil. And I have never taken it to the track..I actually average like 18mpg per tank. Not that I don't hammer down on her...but that is a ridiculous amount of oil to burn through if you ask me(being the gear head that I am and everything haha)

This is disconcerting. :( I realize this is not a 5.0, but it is based on the same engine. I had an '11 5.0 and never burned a drop. After seeing this thread, I immediately went out to check my oil and sure 'nuff, 2 quarts low. I'm a bit new to owning these types of cars, so learning as I go here. I have had many new cars over the years and have never had any concern about checking my oil "often" when the car is new - hey, it's a new car, it shouldn't have an oil problem, right?

But, lesson learned - will be checking the oil on a weekly basis now, no matter if a car I own is 1 week or 10 years old.

I think the thing that bothers me about this is that we have no oil pressure gauge on a car that uses oil. That is odd. As well, there is nothing in the manual I can find that talks about this "feature" of the car, and I certainly got no warning of it from the dealer (not shocking, my dealer ain't so hot). What happens to the poor guy that damages the engine in his new car because he had no clue of this? Just troubling.

I am checking around, seems Motorcraft 5w50 with the gold top is hard to find unless you want to get a second mortgage and buy it from Ford. Anybody found it online for a decent price shipped? Also seems to be a lot of conversation online at various forums about alternatives - brain overload. As for filters, will this one work with the Boss - Motorcraft Fl1hp High Performance Oil Filter for Mustang 5.0L (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/FL1HP/Motorcraft-Fl1hp-High-Performance-Oil-Filter-For-Mustang-50L)?

DieselRocket said:
As for filters, will this one work with the Boss - Motorcraft Fl1hp High Performance Oil Filter for Mustang 5.0L (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/FL1HP/Motorcraft-Fl1hp-High-Performance-Oil-Filter-For-Mustang-50L)?

No I did not open the link but saw the number and that is not for this car, that is an old filter. Use the FL500S for the Boss. The FL820S will fit but I have heard to stick with the FL500S from the guys that built this car. For tracking you can also use the racing version of the 820S until Ford comes out with the HP version of the 500S.

As for burning oil I use a lot. First 1500 miles over two quarts. One track day will burn 1/2 to a full quart.

No real issues here. I added 1/2 quart after each of my track days for one quart total in about 1,800 miles since my last oil change.

TMO Supporting Vendors