The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone drive in sport mode at track or autox

158
3
I experienced a fun track day yesterday.... my third one. I have only driven on the track and autox with the sport mode on.... curious if its a hinderance or help?
 
1,022
97
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
It's a help until you are ready to take the leap and turn it all off. Once you turn it all of you'll *never use it again. I only use sport mode if I am going to drive on the street on a fun country road or for the first session or two at a new track.
 
Flyboygsxr said:
Once you turn it all of you'll *never use it again.
This. Once you have a feel for the car it's more dangerous having it on than off. Really. You'll have more car control with it off. Definitely leave it in sport mode if the surface is wet. ;)
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
It might be a small help in the power department, but will still be hard on the rear brakes.

Intervention from the system can be dangerous when you are really pushing the car. Turn it 'full' off as soon as you are comfortable doing so.
 
1,022
97
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Since we are on this topic...for the first time at my last event advance trac turned back on twice after I had fully turned it off. Can I pull fuses to ensure this never happens again?
 
Flyboygsxr said:
Since we are on this topic...for the first time at my last event advance trac turned back on twice after I had fully turned it off. Can I pull fuses to ensure this never happens again?
ABS fuse I believe but then you lose ABS. A tune is a much better way IMO to make sure while at the track that TC is fully and permanently disabled.
 
To piggy back on what everyone else has said, I would turn it full off, once comfortable. I think another issue TC creates is a false sense of confidence and understanding, if you turn it full off just take your time learning the track and at the same time learning what your car and you are doing, that way when something happens, as it always does you will not have to rely on the computer fixing it.
 
Brandon302 said:
ABS fuse I believe but then you lose ABS. A tune is a much better way IMO to make sure while at the track that TC is fully and permanently disabled.

I've also been looking to disable all TC AND ABS. Was told there is a connection you can unplug over the driver side front tire in the fender well? Anyone know of this?
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,284
3,314
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Cobra700 said:
I've also been looking to disable all TC AND ABS. Was told there is a connection you can unplug over the driver side front tire in the fender well? Anyone know of this?

Yes, you can unplug the ABS module and this will disable the TC.

Not a good plan!!

ABS will help you stay out of trouble. Disconnecting this will eliminate all ABS functions, reduce threshold braking, not good.
 

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
4,001
2,506
Santiago, Chile
I asked for my Lund track tune without TC but the reply was that it will automatcally come on by itself if it wants to. Can't be tuned out 100%apparantly. Mine kicks in every third session or so and your times go up right away. Its a real pain. I guess changing the module is the only solution?
 
Mad Hatter said:
I asked for my Lund track tune without TC but the reply was that it will automatcally come on by itself if it wants to. Can't be tuned out 100%apparantly. Mine kicks in every third session or so and your times go up right away. Its a real pain. I guess changing the module is the only solution?
AED tune track tune never had it come on for me, including in the rain when it gets extra squirrelly.
 
I use sport mode in the rain, but fully off in the dry. You want to embrace that rear-end rotation from the torsen :p

I'm probably going to install the 302S ABS module in the future. I just hope it's easily removable, because the nannies save me on the street when my stupid gene kicks in ::)
 

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
My first few times on track I used it, but when I switched to non DOT tires it kept giving me Advancetrac errors and putting the car into limp mode. Had it tuned permanently off and added the 302S ABS module which is a huge improvement IMO
 

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
2,009
438
Southeast
Mad Hatter said:
:'( I was rejected at AED.....

M. Hatter:

Can you tell me what this means? Is it or was it because of your location and/or, existing mods as per their pre-tune requirement instructions?

Thanks,
Dave
302 Hi Pro
 
1,443
360
I would not have totaled my car at Spring Mtn had Sport Mode been on. In my particular instance it was a violent fishtail at about 80 that SM would never allowed. Maybe my situation was unique.
 

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
4,001
2,506
Santiago, Chile
302 Hi Pro said:
M. Hatter:

Can you tell me what this means? Is it or was it because of your location and/or, existing mods as per their pre-tune requirement instructions?

I guess it was a combination of all of the above. Shaun thought my log was very bizarre with signs of impending failure. I tried my best to get him to tune it but he was firm and polite about it. He would rather not get involved with what he saw was a unhealthy engine running bad fuel. I liked the fact he was very quick to reply and gave me some hints of what to do.

After doing a compression check, checking plugs and scoping cylinders etc. Then off too the dyno were I got 403hp and 380 torque. I could find nothing wrong with the car. So, I went to Lund racing and they gave me a tune for the kooks longtubes and the pump gas I usually use (no other engine mods). I then logged the car again and sent it to them. Jon Lund senior replied that the tune was running great and that he thought maybe the fuel octane was higher then I had advised them!!! So he said to stop trying to understand the tune logs and go have fun...... Which is what I did.

But with slicks the TCT comes on every once in a while and its a royal pain! The minute it does I know I will not be very competitive.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top