The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone else have a problem with their hood decal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The hood decal on my Boss is off-center by about a 1/2-3/4 of an inch. It isn't noticeable from a distance, but as you get closer to the hood you can see it. I brought this up to my sales person last week, along with a paint chip issue, and he said he will look into fixing it (of course, he went on about how hard it is to put the decals on, in an obvious but subtle attempt to discourage me from having it replaced). Anyone have issues with their hood decals?

I had some minor water etching from when it sat outside at AAI before shipping. My dealer actually pointed it out because it wasn't that obvious and is only visible under fluorescent lighting. I decided to leave it since there was no guarantee it would come out any better with a replacement.

atrain1975

My sticker had a bird poop mar. The dealer pointed it out and gave me a slip to have it replaced. They replaced the sticker and put the new one on off-centered by 3/4 inch. I took it back and they put on a second replacement straight. Persistence pays off, but it was a pain.

My hood decal is on there straight enough, however it has swirl marks and small defects which really degrades the quality with it. I am considering having it removed and then painted on like the top of the car is.

I may just remove mine altogether, along with the black wrapping paper around the trunk. I thought it was painted on until just yesterday. have had the car for 6 weeks! Way too many stickers.

Maui
YellowMan said:
The hood decal on my Boss is off-center by about a 1/2-3/4 of an inch. It isn't noticeable from a distance, but as you get closer to the hood you can see it. I brought this up to my sales person last week, along with a paint chip issue, and he said he will look into fixing it (of course, he went on about how hard it is to put the decals on, in an obvious but subtle attempt to discourage me from having it replaced). Anyone have issues with their hood decals?

Mine has been fine luckily, but your dealer should fix the problem if you aren't satisfied...I saw some different color decals at the american muscle website. I have the kona blue with white decals and i was entertaining switching to black, but I like the white actually. It's grown on me. Besides I would have to repaint the roof if I switch decal colors.

GA
I'm surprised Ford didn't at least use painted vinyl for the stripes. I guess this is one place where you can see Ford cut costs in order deliver the performance at the price point. Shelby owners frequently replace their vinyl stripes, so it looks like Boss owners will be doing the same once the warranty runs out.

PJWANNABE said:
I'm surprised Ford didn't at least use painted vinyl for the stripes. I guess this is one place where you can see Ford cut costs in order deliver the performance at the price point. Shelby owners frequently replace their vinyl stripes, so it looks like Boss owners will be doing the same once the warranty runs out.
First sign of cracking and mine will be painted!

Mine is off by an 1/8". I didn't notice it until I read this post. Now i'm pissed! :mad:
I don't really want to go through the hassle of them redoing it. It may look worse. Not sure what I will do....

65venom said:
Mine is off by an 1/8". I didn't notice it until I read this post. Now i'm pissed! :mad:
I don't really want to go through the hassle of them redoing it. It may look worse. Not sure what I will do....

IMO if you didn't notice it until this thread then most likely no one else will either. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about and just enjoy the car.

MrGT5oh said:
65venom said:

IMO if you didn't notice it until this thread then most likely no one else will either. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about and just enjoy the car.

Very true, I see mine but no one else has ever noticed it.

Any decent dealer could fix them, these are quite easy to re-do. If the hood stripe is like the (factory) rear stripes I have they are cut to fit right in place. The backing is cut so it lines up to the edges/corners of the car. Some dealers will call in a stripe expert to replace them, mine does.

Update: So I dropped the car off at the dealer today, to have the chipped paint on the driver's door edge touched up and to have them look at the decal. After about an hour and a half, I return to the dealer and see my car is in the "holding area", which is like a drive-through bay where the cars are staged. I ask the attendant if they are done, and he said that they were waiting for one of the managers to take pictures of the decal so they can send it to Ford. Shortly after, the manager appears and we go to take pictures of the decal. I inspect the touch up job, and I was not happy at all with it. The manager agreed, and said that they would have the paint and body shop take care of it at the same time they do the decal. I say okay, and after he is done taking pictures of everything, I take the car home (disappointed). Later in the day, my son noticed a spot on the driver's side fender, and he calls me. I inspect the spot, and it appears to be a drop of the touch-up paint, about the size of a dime! It had already dried hard by then, but I hoped to get it off with some quick detailer...no dice. I immediately call my sales manager to complain about it, and as I am talking to him, I noticed some streaking running along the length of the fender, kinda like wax that has been allowed to dry, and I start freaking out at him....it was obvious someone was trying to buff something out. I am taking it back to have them look at it tomorrow. Not a good day for me at all :(

I looked at mine last night after reading this thread. Fortunately mine looks perfect.

Yellowman, sounds like they are trying to work with you but mistakes happen. Just arrive with a smile and it will get taken care of. It sounds like they want to make it right but shiznit happens, the more important thing is they want to work with you.

2012YellowBoss said:
Yellowman, sounds like they are trying to work with you but mistakes happen. Just arrive with a smile and it will get taken care of. It sounds like they want to make it right but shiznit happens, the more important thing is they want to work with you.

They took care of the spot today, and told me that they have ordered a decal. They were very apologetic, and they understood my pain. They are trying to make things right, so I am glad about that. Hopefully, everything will turn out okay.

TMO Supporting Vendors