The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone else remove the STB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I removed my STB for good a few weeks ago. Seemed like every time I wanted to do something it was in the way and was worried I would end up snapping off the studs taking off and on all the time. Now that it's off can't say I can tell it's gone. It also shed some weight off can't beat that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The race cars don't run them but most have welded seams and all have a full cage. Our platforms are pretty rigid so no surprise you can't tell a difference on the street. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us couldn't tell a difference on the track either. ;)

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
It's a pain in the @$$ to check the oil in these cars with that thing in the way. Bad choice of where the dipstick comes out on these engines. I prefer the curvy straw on my 1995 GT.

John

Back in the 70's, they were called export braces. You rarely saw one in the USA. I always assumed they were installed because the cars were being put on a ship. I think the STB's started coming standard from Ford in 94, maybe sooner. I've always question their validity. Consequently, I've always removed them. The Boss STB looks too good though. It's the only one that's ever looked good. When you figure that Ford is not going to spend an extra dime, if they don't have to. ie A good shifter. It's hard to explain why they would go to the added expense of the STB if it's not needed.

On a similar note, I almost didn't reinstall the tranny air cool scoop the last time I changed the oil.

seca954 said:
It's hard to explain why they would go to the added expense of the STB if it's not needed.

No it isn't. For more information, turn to the chapter titled Spoilers that don't do anything. ;)

It's expected on a performance car. Nothing more. The firewall and windshield are doing all the real work in that area. I look at a lot of race cars and I have only seen one team (Miller) run with the STB. Direct quote from a Ford engineer, when asked about why he was running without one, "Show me the data."

In the end, I don't think it matters much one way or another. It's a handsome piece (that fits so neatly into the intake manifold slot designed for it), so I leave mine on for now. Also, if I take it off, I have to store it. Better to store it on the car, IMO.

Jimmy Pribble said:
No it isn't. For more information, turn to the chapter titled Spoilers that don't do anything. ;)

It's expected on a performance car. Nothing more. The firewall and windshield are doing all the real work in that area. I look at a lot of race cars and I have only seen one team (Miller) run with the STB. Direct quote from a Ford engineer, when asked about why he was running without one, "Show me the data."

In the end, I don't think it matters much one way or another. It's a handsome piece (that fits so neatly into the intake manifold slot designed for it), so I leave mine on for now. Also, if I take it off, I have to store it. Better to store it on the car, IMO.
Remove it when you make room for the CJ intake. :p

Although the brace might not be needed to stabilize the car , it adds a mystic reason for it being there. When my SS buddy & me were showing off our cars to friends, they wondered why the Boss had a brace & the Camaro didn't.... ;)

The Camaro should have one it seems...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QXOpEiN9Y[/youtube]
And yes, looking at the race Boss 302's does not prove we don't need it because their body is fully welded and complemented with a full cage. Quite another story!

jneary said:
It's a pain in the @$$ to check the oil in these cars with that thing in the way. Bad choice of where the dipstick comes out on these engines. I prefer the curvy straw on my 1995 GT.

John

jneary,
Doing the sound tube delete also helps with the clearance for checking the dipstick.

Chris

patrickshelby said:
And yes, looking at the race Boss 302's does not prove we don't need it because their body is fully welded and complemented with a full cage. Quite another story!

The 302S does not have a seam-welded body (although it is a $4500 option) and does not come with an STB. It does have a cage behind the firewall, but it does not extend to the strut towers. The back half of the car is tied together pretty nicely, but up front, what do we have laterally? A dash bar and the bar going across the top of the windshield? Does that really take care of the deflection at the top of the strut towers? Seems unlikely to me, but maybe. I can't speak for anyone else, but I was not offering proof of anything. Like Ford Racing, I'm just waiting on some compelling data.

Just a friendly debate; as I explained, I still run my STB. :)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I don't miss it sure makes it easier to tinker with under the hood. If I was going to say road race it I would put it back on. But on the street I don't think it's that big of a deal not having it there

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Chris:

I took that thing out a long time ago but the STB is still in the way for a clean pull of the dipstick. It does make is easier but I am just surprised that they didn't put that dipstick towards the front. Oh well, I'll take this if it gives me so much AWESOME in one engine!!!! GO FORD!

John

TMO Supporting Vendors