The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone else with Recaros have issues with them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Today I came back to my car and saw the stitching outside bolster on the drivers seat separated. I have 5100 miles on this thing and its not even a year old.
The dealer took pics and they'll said cover it but just wondering if other people have had the same thing happen?

Drivers side, right hand corner in the front, the stitching is letting go. Havent been to the dealer but my Dealership is run by morons so I am sure it will be a nightmare. Will likely have to drive it to the next town to the ford dealer there.

Pay close attention to the area in which the seatbelt runs across your shoulder. If you are a taller driver (as I am) the belt will rub against the Recaro's causing a wear mark. I've had the driver seat cover replaced once already with less than 12,000 miles on it.

I fear after another 12,000 or so it will need it again but I am more cautious with where the belt is now when I drive. FYI

Seven

Dacia Sandero
SUPRMN said:
Pay close attention to the area in which the seatbelt runs across your shoulder. If you are a taller driver (as I am) the belt will rub against the Recaro's causing a wear mark. I've had the driver seat cover replaced once already with less than 12,000 miles on it.

I fear after another 12,000 or so it will need it again but I am more cautious with where the belt is now when I drive. FYI

Mine came unstitched at the outside bolster on the seat-back (not seat bottom) that goes around the abdomen area, the partof the bolster that sticks the farthest out. Not near the shoulder but I'll take a look and keep an eye on it, thanks for the heads up.

Could be the way I'm getting in my car, so I'll keep an eye on that when I get it fixed but you shouldn't have it unstitching at 5k no matter what you know?

Had mine repleced @ 1500 miles,no issue with ford,6 month's later same problem again. Recaro needs to come up with a fix.

I got mine with 4k miles and it had little frayed threads all over the bolster. I just took a lighter and seared them off. Mine aren't coming apart at the seams but sounds like they might. I've now resorted to laying my set back everytime i get out of the car.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
I'm wondering if the dealer will send it to a fabric shop (since they mentioned it), and maybe I can ask them to stitch it up with something that'll hold up well.

BLAZN BOSS

When I ordered mine I didnt want recaros........they feel good once your in them but getting in and out just begs for wear...........I im sure the belt is a problem for wear too.

I had the Driver bottom cover changed, there is some wear on the outside bolster (back section) but my dealer refused to change it for now... the car has 1658kms. Recaro seats are very nice but there is definitely a problem with the fabric. Frankly I dont understand why Ford dont make a recall or at least a service bulletin about these seats. IT IS a well known problem.

Photo090_zps246e88e0.jpg

Photo096_zps1ccc0ee0.jpg

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Frenchboss, the 2nd pic you posted is where mine came unstitched it looks like.
I'm thinking if this is a problem, after the warranty is out, maybe I'll look for black fabric patches (stick on or iron on) to cover that area of the bolster with so it doesn't come unstitched again and again.

I noticed I probably caused the issue as my garage is somewhat narrow so I can only open my door a bit when I get out and my butt grazes the exact part of the bolster where it came unstitched. While 5k miles should have this happening... I still will either watch my butt (literally) a bit more carefully or again, look into a patch that will protect it.

Lastly... I didn't realize this is such a big problem... Why has no one petitioned Ford for a TSB or a fix? I can imagine the cloth Recaros in track pack GTs are probably doing the same thing.

I was also thinking of getting some neoprene and sticking onto the bolster to protect it. Other than laying the seat back each time I don't see these lasting if you rub on them getting in and out.

Seven said:
Frenchboss, the 2nd pic you posted is where mine came unstitched it looks like.
I'm thinking if this is a problem, after the warranty is out, maybe I'll look for black fabric patches (stick on or iron on) to cover that area of the bolster with so it doesn't come unstitched again and again.

I noticed I probably caused the issue as my garage is somewhat narrow so I can only open my door a bit when I get out and my butt grazes the exact part of the bolster where it came unstitched. While 5k miles should have this happening... I still will either watch my butt (literally) a bit more carefully or again, look into a patch that will protect it.

Lastly... I didn't realize this is such a big problem... Why has no one petitioned Ford for a TSB or a fix? I can imagine the cloth Recaros in track pack GTs are probably doing the same thing.

It's really no big deal. If the seat covers wear out, just replace them - a new cover (back & cushion) is available from Ford for only $2100.00 :eek:

athens7 said:
It's really no big deal. If the seat covers wear out, just replace them - a new cover (back & cushion) is available from Ford for only $2100.00 :eek:

That is crazy, the seats cost ~$2500 a piece.

TMO Supporting Vendors