The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone else with Recaros have issues with them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In my opinion the Recaros are junk, when speaking of quality. Comfort, pretty good. I have 6400 miles on my car and the driver seat is showing extensive wear. Warranty or not, that's ridiculous. I'm sure some of the worst cars ever produced had seats that lasted longer than this. And also there is a support bar on the left side of the seat that is digging into my left outer thigh. Lets put it this way, my sons civic has 107k miles on it, his seats look better than mine. Nuf said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Definately, not disputing their lack of quality material. It is sad that ford chose off shore materials to build some of this car. I love the car but am disappointed in some of fords choices.

geneva said:
side bolster wear is an indication you are dragging across the side bolster open entry and exit of the vehicle. Pick yourself up problem solved.

Really....I think that happens on every car seat I get in to. They don't wear out after 6k miles. Pick myself up?!?, really. I think I have dragged myself across many a side bolster. How about use some quality materials, then the problem will be solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
With the exception of my Evo 9 SE, it seems like most of the factory Recaro seats don't fare well when daily driven. There was always fraying and separation of seams. Can't say that I've had issues with the Boss as I've only put 3400 miles on it in 9 months...but I can see it coming.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Got referred to an upholstery shop. Going to see if they'll put some better thread in it and what they recommend for it to help it stay together better in the future.

The “ridge” on the driver’s side lost its loft and sort of folded. The dealer took photos and Ford replaced the bottom portion of the seat. It appeared that material under the cover (foam?) was the problem. The wife and I both agree that these are most comfortable seats we have done any long distance drives in. Love the seats but also concerned about the durability.

Just had mine looked at today for the fraying in the seat cushion. Guess i better take a look at my bolster too. Ford already approved the warrenty work, so just waiting for the product to arrive. Guess i have to find a pad or something to prevent this in the future

I have just over 3k miles on my Boss and the seat bottoms were showing premature wear (looked like picture posted earlier in this thread). When i had in to the dealer, i had them look at it. They sent pictures to Ford and Ford promptly replaced the seat covers under warranty. If you are having an issue, i would suggest taking it in under warranty as i did. Seems that Ford is pretty receptive to getting it taken care of (at least in my case).

shoveldoc said:
I have just over 3k miles on my Boss and the seat bottoms were showing premature wear (looked like picture posted earlier in this thread). When i had in to the dealer, i had them look at it. They sent pictures to Ford and Ford promptly replaced the seat covers under warranty. If you are having an issue, i would suggest taking it in under warranty as i did. Seems that Ford is pretty receptive to getting it taken care of (at least in my case).

Im showing wear on the bottom of the seat with only 1200 miles on the car. Im not going to even bother with Ford unless they offer a cover in better material. If Ford doesnt offer better material I will just go to custom upholstery shop and have them done right.

NewBossowner said:
Definately, not disputing their lack of quality material. It is sad that ford chose off shore materials to build some of this car. I love the car but am disappointed in some of fords choices.

Global economy and all, I'm quite sure that there are some at Ford that feel the same way. But then there's competition and trying to meet certain price points.

Regarding Ford and Recaro, I have scoured for a long time to come up with a leather Recaro seat for my '09 GT500. Aside from adapting the electronics from the newer S197's to the '07-'09 (possibly '10 as well) I found about the only way to get a 'new' seat would be to start with either the 'B' or 'C' Recaro offered by FRPP (of which the B has been discontinued). So I picked up a pair...

IMAG1094.jpg

I then continued to look everywhere to find a leather skin in all black. I knew that the fabric on the FRPP seat, very near what the Boss came equipped with, may not wear well. I got hooked up with Gary Disney, the gentleman that does custom interiors for Shelby, among others. We worked out a deal on a pair and I await their arrival.

In the meantime, I cam across an ad from Dean at Rehagen for a complete set of interior skins from a '13 GT500 with Recaro seats. I couldn't pass it up and they arrived yesterday. Which brings me to your comment about 'offshore materials' with the implied sense that they aren't of superior quality, if you will. Of note, the tags inside each piece of upholstery...

The rear seat bottoms, made in Mexico by Lear...

IMG_0970_zpse4286e38.jpg
IMG_0971_zps2523a8e6.jpg

The rear seat backs, made in Mexico by Lear...

IMG_0973_zps956001c2.jpg
IMG_0974_zps189b3317.jpg

The rear head rests, made in Mexico by Lear...

IMG_0965_zps933dd59a.jpg
IMG_0968_zpsefbb980f.jpg

And I must say, all in a heavy, thick, leather. Stitched very well too.

But of interest here - the front Recaro skins.

IMG_0956_zps98cd9055.jpg

Country of origin? Believe it or not - USA. Indiana to be more precise. They are whipped up by a company called Wieland Designs
http://www.wielanddesigns.com/

IMG_0958_zps09732575.jpg

As are the Recaro seat bottoms...

IMG_0962_zps00864e70.jpg
IMG_0963_zps6c047966.jpg

Crazy. The unobtanium, ridiculously priced by Ford Parts, Recaro skins are made right here in the US. I shook my head too but after a moment I considered labor costs here in the US vs Mexico/China/etc, and understood how hard it is to get a seat like this out the door for a reasonable price. They are indeed utterly, high quality, but their retail price is commensurate with insanity.

Which begs the question...where are the FRPP cloth skins made? I can't wait to get mine off to see. I had originally thought Germany, Mexico, but now I guess the US doesn't have to be necessarily eliminated from consideration. And secondly, are the factory Boss skins made in the same country as FRPP's?

Hmmm...

As usual nice work TOB. Doesn't Recaro have manufacturing facilities here in the US?

TMO Supporting Vendors