The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone have a run in with a ZL1 or 1LE at a track day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z20WHAT said:
Thanks flyinlow... do you have a link to the info?

Regardless, if that's accurate, then not too far off of my guesstimate that 1LE production was around 1/2 what either 2012 or 2013 BOSS production was... Probably helps to explain their rare sightings at road courses. Camaro nation (and everyone else) seems pretty negative on the 2014 freshening, so production on new 1LEs will likely be even lower.

I still suspect Z/28 production will be at or lower than half of that 1826 figure as well...

I believe ZL1 production was considerably higher than 1826 1LEs for 2013, although despite what Motor Trend did with that ridiculous comparison test, I don't consider the ZL1 a direct competitor for the BOSS - it's their answer to the Shelby GT500 plain and simple.

coboss - We had a 1LE around not too long ago; I was able to look under the hood as I was curious what the wrap job looked like. Unsurprisingly, all they basically did was cut the material slightly larger than the top surface of the hood and simply fold it over the edges all the way around! It was already starting to peel up in several places - I can only imagine what it will look like in 6 months' time after a few car washes and/or rain storms. On the road, the 1LE definitely felt tighter and more nimble than the Camaro SS, but it didn't feel anything like the BOSS. Lacked all of the character our cars have and yes, the car I drove did have their 'active' exhaust...

Still, all things considered, I'm glad GM is doing that with Camaro. Proves that the BOSS really caught their attention and likely got them really PO'ed when the car first came out - especially considering what a night and day difference a standard Brembo GT is over an SS... Competition only improves the breed fellas!!

Posted by Scott Settlemire, who is the program manager for the Camaro for GM. He is on the Camaro5 forum pretty regularly. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6945361#post6945361 . There were just a little under 8000 ZL1's built for 2013.

I have a 2013 1LE and love it, haven't had a chance to drive it much yet due to work. Plan on doing some tracks days and autocross with it next year, although we don't have too many track days up here in MN, might have to make a trip to Blackhawk or Autobahn with it next year. Also am looking at possibly purchasing a Boss 302 at some point next year, used of course, which is why I'm on the forum.

flyinlow said:
Posted by Scott Settlemire, who is the program manager for the Camaro for GM. He is on the Camaro5 forum pretty regularly. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6945361#post6945361 . There were just a little under 8000 ZL1's built for 2013.

I have a 2013 1LE and love it, haven't had a chance to drive it much yet due to work. Plan on doing some tracks days and autocross with it next year, although we don't have too many track days up here in MN, might have to make a trip to Blackhawk or Autobahn with it next year. Also am looking at possibly purchasing a Boss 302 at some point next year, used of course, which is why I'm on the forum.
Will be at Autobahn on Oct 14th with LAPS Inc. My last track day of the year, come on down and have some fun!!

There was a SS and a ZL1 few weeks ago at summit point. We were all in the novice class, so it wasn't a good car comparison. If it matters, the boss lapped both of them, multiple times :p

TMO Supporting Vendors