The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone have a run in with a ZL1 or 1LE at a track day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am curious to see how the cars stack up in the real world, no magazine numbers just any experience of how the boss holds up against them.

Black_LS said:
I am curious to see how the cars stack up in the real world, no magazine numbers just any experience of how the boss holds up against them.
I ran with a ZL1 (briefly) at Brainerd International Raceway in May. He was just learning so it wasn't a fair comparison. I was running about 10-15 seconds faster until my engine wiring harness started shorting out ending my weekend very early. They're really BIG and I think tip the scales at 4100+ lbs so I'm not surprised you don't see many of them on track. I'm guessing you'd be more likely to see the new Z28s once they start shipping later this year.

There was a ZL1 at Summit point back in April but I think the guy was afraid of the car because going really slow, but he was loving the experience. Someone said that the instructor told him " You know, you could go a little faster ", he didn't.

Tulsa, OK
Earlier this year a ZL1 showed up at Hallett for a few sessions while I was there. I was running circles around him but I think he was new to the car and open track driving, so I'll cut him some slack.

I did an autocross event with a 1LE and he was a second or so faster than me. He was an experienced autocrosser and that was my first time so again not that great of a comparison.

Gotta give props to the ones that do make it out to a track!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Just once with a ZL1 'vert...passed him twice at Fontana in one 20 minute session on the 'Roval' configuration...with my GT. He's in the background of this pic heading back to the pits:

9667390885_937fc7354a_m.jpg

Well it seems like the boss is pretty well matched with less horsepower. I saw the MT comparison but I take those with a grain of salt because I know how advert money works with those businesses. I test drove a zl1 the other day and enjoyed it very much (didn't push it hard) and it would be a much better daily driver than my leguna seca. For some reason the boss is a ton more fun to drive so im going to keep it. I think if i upgrade the brakes to be like the zl1's (which were fantastic) this car will be insane on the rolex course in December at Daytona.

I see more 1968/1969 Z/28's than I see any 2010+ Camaros at the NorCal tracks. ;)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Yes lots of Corvettes, not many Camaros of any type. A ZL1 was at Lime Rock last year driven by a journalist, he was running 1:05-06, Pete and I were both running 1:04s with bests in the 1:03s. I think he was scared of it but still. We didn't run heads up because he was in the intermediate group.
Steve

I haven't seen final production numbers on the first year 1LE yet, but I suspect there were fewer of those built than in either year of 'new' BOSS production, maybe by as much as half!

I predict Z28, considering its limited production and price point above the ZL1 (before any dealer markups), will certainly be a unicorn in the DE world...

Stock to stock on most road courses with driver talent being equal, our cars are underdogs to all three. Put a set of sticky set of 285s all around on your BOSS though, and that should be the cure for the 1LE with nothing else required. Might need to dig a little deeper to get around the ZL1 and certainly the Z/28 (if you ever see one). FRPP CJ intake, cams and tune along with some suspension mods should do it. Ford Racing should make a kit as their 'remedy' for the Z/28. We know they can do it (BOSS 302SX or the red '12 BOSS they had at VIR earlier this year)...

Z20WHAT said:
I predict Z28, considering its limited production and price point above the ZL1 (before any dealer markups), will certainly be a unicorn in the DE world...

You'll never see one on the street let alone on the track or strip. I predict virtually every one sold will go into storage for a collector.

On Monday will be participating in my sixth track day this year at Autobahn CC, Joliet IL. and so far haven't seen any LZ1 or 1LEs'. For that matter typically very few if any Camaros ever show up. The few that have fade quickly in my rear view mirror. Will be interesting to see if that changes when the Z28 comes out and if any owners are willing to track them.

I saw one ZL1 at High Plains outside Denver, but he wasn't pushing the car very hard. I get the feeling it was because it was 95F and those are notorious for not liking the heat.

I've run with a couple of SS Camaros and they can't touch the Boss. The 1LE might be a different story, and the Z/28 looks like it will be no contest - a butt whippin' for the Boss.

I've only seen one 1LE in person. It looked OK, but I can't help but think that hood wrap will end up looking like crap eventually. Back in the good old days they actually painted stuff like that instead of using stickers - of course, the hood stripes on the Boss might not end up looking any better.

Z20WHAT said:
I haven't seen final production numbers on the first year 1LE yet, but I suspect there were fewer of those built than in either year of 'new' BOSS production, maybe by as much as half!

Stock to stock on most road courses with driver talent being equal, our cars are underdogs to all three. Put a set of sticky set of 285s all around on your BOSS though, and that should be the cure for the 1LE with nothing else required. Might need to dig a little deeper to get around the ZL1 and certainly the Z/28 (if you ever see one). FRPP CJ intake, cams and tune along with some suspension mods should do it. Ford Racing should make a kit as their 'remedy' for the Z/28. We know they can do it (BOSS 302SX or the red '12 BOSS they had at VIR earlier this year)...

1826 1LE's were made for 2013

Chevy guys don't seem to me to be track oriented. A guy at work just traded in a Lingenfelter Corvette for a ZL1... I tried to convince him to come AutoX, he is happy just driving it once every other week. I cannot interest him in coming to an event at all it seems.

flyinlow said:
1826 1LE's were made for 2013

Wow, that is WAY lower than I thought they would sell. I figured they would get at least as many 1LEs as the 4000 Bosses.

Now, even people who bought them to track them will probably put them in the garage. I wonder if Chevy is going to try to sell the 1LE alongside the Z/28?

afaik, The 1LE is nothing but a track pack. Hardy collectable. The Z28 and ZL1 might be, but I imagine the chances would be better if they were actually tracked in the volumes the Boss is. But they aren't. They are trying to ride on the Boss 302 wave of success... so I doubt they will be more valuable than an LS in the future.

Thanks flyinlow... do you have a link to the info?

Regardless, if that's accurate, then not too far off of my guesstimate that 1LE production was around 1/2 what either 2012 or 2013 BOSS production was... Probably helps to explain their rare sightings at road courses. Camaro nation (and everyone else) seems pretty negative on the 2014 freshening, so production on new 1LEs will likely be even lower.

I still suspect Z/28 production will be at or lower than half of that 1826 figure as well...

I believe ZL1 production was considerably higher than 1826 1LEs for 2013, although despite what Motor Trend did with that ridiculous comparison test, I don't consider the ZL1 a direct competitor for the BOSS - it's their answer to the Shelby GT500 plain and simple.

coboss - We had a 1LE around not too long ago; I was able to look under the hood as I was curious what the wrap job looked like. Unsurprisingly, all they basically did was cut the material slightly larger than the top surface of the hood and simply fold it over the edges all the way around! It was already starting to peel up in several places - I can only imagine what it will look like in 6 months' time after a few car washes and/or rain storms. On the road, the 1LE definitely felt tighter and more nimble than the Camaro SS, but it didn't feel anything like the BOSS. Lacked all of the character our cars have and yes, the car I drove did have their 'active' exhaust...

Still, all things considered, I'm glad GM is doing that with Camaro. Proves that the BOSS really caught their attention and likely got them really PO'ed when the car first came out - especially considering what a night and day difference a standard Brembo GT is over an SS... Competition only improves the breed fellas!!

There is usually one ZL1 at my adopted home track Eagle Canyon Raceway in Decatur, TX, but this weekend there were three. So far I've managed to run them all down, but each time I believe the driver was still learning the car or at least new to the track. And of course the 1LE is nowhere to be found. My guest is the Z28 will be no different.

On Monday will be participating in my sixth track day this year at Autobahn CC, Joliet IL. and so far haven't seen any LZ1 or 1LEs'. For that matter typically very few if any Camaros ever show up. The few that have fade quickly in my rear view mirror. Will be interesting to see if that changes when the Z28 comes out and if any owners are willing to track them.
I was at Autobahn in my 2013 Boss with MVP for both of their track days this summer and didn't see a single new generation Camaro either. I did enjoy passing M3's....they seem very popular there! I would like to have a z/28 parked in my garage next to my Boss, but I think the $60K price before ADM will keep me away. And when people start comparing the Boss to the new z/28 all I can think of is how would the Boss compare after someone added $15K in mods to get its price comparable to the z/28 (or the ZL1 for that matter).

TMO Supporting Vendors