The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone have the torque value for the side exhaust nuts?

I'm a bit of a torque wrench fanatic. :p Will be taking out the factory side exhaust plates today & experimenting with the plates I got from 21012YellowBoss / no plates at all.

Was curious if anyone had the torque rating for the nuts in the restrictor plate area and the rocker panel bolt.

Thanks!
 
Torque values aren't important for the restrictors plate, it's all metal to metal. Just torque the crap out of them. The rocker bolt has blue Locktite on it, just reapply and tighten.
 
Torque Specifications

Description : Nm/lb-ft
Exhaust side pipe bolts (Boss® 302) : 25/18
Exhaust side pipe-to-exhaust H-pipe nuts (Boss® 302) : 40/30
Torca® clamp nut (Boss® 302) : 48/35
 
PTRocks said:
Torque Specifications

Description : Nm/lb-ft
Exhaust side pipe bolts (Boss® 302) : 25/18
Exhaust side pipe-to-exhaust H-pipe nuts (Boss® 302) : 40/30
Torca® clamp nut (Boss® 302) : 48/35

Why are you ruining a perfectly good thread with tech?!? ;D
 
PTRocks said:
Torque Specifications

Description : Nm/lb-ft
Exhaust side pipe bolts (Boss® 302) : 25/18
Exhaust side pipe-to-exhaust H-pipe nuts (Boss® 302) : 40/30
Torca® clamp nut (Boss® 302) : 48/35

Thank you for enabling my torque wrench mania! 8)
 
4pipes said:
Tighten until the head snaps off, then back off half a turn.
HAHAHA! Had to laugh at this comment because I was thinking the same thing but didn't post it.On a more serious note, I used blue loc tite on the bolts, tightened mine until I grunted once ( lying on the ground arm stretched ) . It's not going anywhere.
 
1,255
2
GA
racered302 said:
4pipes said:
Tighten until the head snaps off, then back off half a turn.
HAHAHA! Had to laugh at this comment because I was thinking the same thing but didn't post it.On a more serious note, I used blue loc tite on the bolts, tightened mine until I grunted once ( lying on the ground arm stretched ) . It's not going anywhere.

The first time I used a torque wrench I set it to foot-lbs instead of foot-inches. You can guess what happened. :-[
 
PJWANNABE said:
racered302 said:
4pipes said:
Tighten until the head snaps off, then back off half a turn.
HAHAHA! Had to laugh at this comment because I was thinking the same thing but didn't post it.On a more serious note, I used blue loc tite on the bolts, tightened mine until I grunted once ( lying on the ground arm stretched ) . It's not going anywhere.

The first time I used a torque wrench I set it to foot-lbs instead of foot-inches. You can guess what happened. :-[

That must have really torque'd you off when that happened
 
Blue locktite makes sense on the "rocker" bolt. What are your thoughts on anti-sieze on the 2 exhaust flange bolts (for future removal)?

You think it will "burn off" or help in disassembly in the future?
 
PITT BOSS said:
Blue locktite makes sense on the "rocker" bolt. What are your thoughts on anti-sieze on the 2 exhaust flange bolts (for future removal)?

You think it will "burn off" or help in disassembly in the future?
I don't think it will burn off, it good till 300deg. If it does, there' should be enough residuals in the thread to keep it from backing off. You can try it on a nut and bolt you have laying around, tighten then loosen it with your torque wrench to get a reference point, then use the thread locker, hit it with a lighter after it cures (24hrs for the stuff I'm using) then compare your measurements.It should be fine, but safe is safe. I posted the same question on one of the forums about a month ago and never got a response so I figure this is better then nothing, worked. But I haven't tried to take it apart since then because the 1/2" disk sound best to me.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top