The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone have their Boss graphics painted?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you add gloss black stripes it would make sense to reclear the car. If you want the matte or flat black look, then no re-clearing is necessary.

Haven't done it to my Boss, but I have done my fair share of slinging color.

Looked into this...got a couple quotes from reputable shops. No less than 9500. Whole car should be sprayed to be done properly. Clear coat, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Was curious if anyone has any updates on this topic. I did a search and saw nothing in terms of new threads/posts.

Two weeks ago I noticed the 0 in 302 on my drivers side is starting to peel away as well as the 3 on my passenger side. Car has never been pressure washed and to this point really only has detailer spray applied if has been covered in pollen. Personally I find the stripes on my LS a real nuisance (can't wax them, wash them with anything beyond sprinkles of water, use a clear 3M bra, etc.) now they seem to just peel away due to being in the sun.

I am likely going to have them removed and replaced with painted facsimiles. Has anyone done this? I know the price will be high (post above says $10K, so I will need to see if the same pricing applies to Denver), but for long-term happiness this is likely my only way forward.

I have a 2012 so it came with the gloss black stripes. I had a body that I've done previous business with paint the hood stripe matte black in the style of the 1969 Boss 302 which cost me $400. I'm sure it would have cost quite a bit more if they had to lay out and paint the side stripes as well. Since your car is a 2013 a has the reflective matte stripes I would think that it would be cheaper than that $9500 estimate to have the stripes painted on in matte black. Now if you wanted gloss black stripes painted on and cleared over it would be another story.

Is there a ford paint that matches the stripe? I know there is on my 13 LS. The Wing was the same charcoal color. I had my whole hood prepared, sanded, blocked, underneath painted matte black, top gloss black, charcoal center, and 1/4" pinstripe for $750.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were going to redo the graphics in a simple matte black you won't need to re-clear over the black but you better make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing when cutting the stencils. Any variation from the font will look goofy and should it need to be re-done, you'll need to sand the black, possibly reshoot the base and clear and then re-shoot the black.

Morale of the story, you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Not certain if anyone is still planning or has done this project, but I spoke with both Hagerty and Grundy and they both stated that painting the stripes in place of the vinyl would not impact the value of the cars in any negative way and may actually improve the value given their known issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors