The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone here have technical knowledge of E Street Prepared (ESP) class rules as they pertain to Mustangs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You definitely cannot open the hole in the strut tower in ESP. (That happens to be the 1st thing that took me out of ESP)

Which PZero "slick"? There are 400 different Pirelli PZero options. If you mean the Pirelli endurance slicks a lot of people use for track, those are not legal. ANy of the DOT approved ones would be legal (but are going to be light years behind a Hoosier A7 in speed unfortunately)

Hope this helps,

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As DaveW noted pure slicks are not valid ( we have quite a few guys in the Nebraska Region of SCCA who ran ESP ) and in fact they would vault you right into C Prepared. You likely need to consider jumping right into CAMC with a set of 200 TWR tires and if you have already hogged out your strut holes , that would be your best shot, imho.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lawton, OK
Tha
As DaveW noted pure slicks are not valid ( we have quite a few guys in the Nebraska Region of SCCA who ran ESP ) and in fact they would vault you right into C Prepared. You likely need to consider jumping right into CAMC with a set of 200 TWR tires and if you have already hogged out your strut holes , that would be your best shot, imho.
I haven't done anything yet. This car is also a (somewhat) street car also so I don't want to go past the point of no return in terms of modifications for competition. It's a fun car, not a money pit. That's what my other Mustang is for. But with a national ProSolo coming up, I'm really pushing the edge on what I want to do using parts I have already that I can "borrow" from the track Mustang. The tires I've been using are scuffs from IMSA teams only because they're cheap and available. So since A7's are difficult to get, how much life can I expect from a set? 1 season, 2 seasons?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My son and I get a Season out of his A7s, but we also keep them cooled down on hot track days ( water sprayers abound for two driver cars ). We usually get a new set for Nationals and run them then and almost up to the next one. As noted, the scuffs really will not work for ESP/CAMC and honestly the slicks won't heat up fast enough on most autocross courses anyway. You want a set of Falkens, Yokes, Bridgerocks, etc. to go fast in CAM C, and if you stay in ESP then A7s ae your only choice to be competitive!

Tha

I haven't done anything yet. This car is also a (somewhat) street car also so I don't want to go past the point of no return in terms of modifications for competition. It's a fun car, not a money pit. That's what my other Mustang is for. But with a national ProSolo coming up, I'm really pushing the edge on what I want to do using parts I have already that I can "borrow" from the track Mustang. The tires I've been using are scuffs from IMSA teams only because they're cheap and available. So since A7's are difficult to get, how much life can I expect from a set? 1 season, 2 seasons?

Pro in Frederick, OK ?
Like others said, you'd be much much better off in CAM than in ESP - both end up in index classes in ProSolo and CAM-C has much softer (pro solo) index than ESP (given tire allowance difference) so you are better off with under-prepared car.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you've done nothing - and SCCA really means practically nothing - to the car yet, you could also try running in Street. The Solo2 rulebook PDF and CAM rules are on the scca.org website. The mantra when reading is, "If it doesn't say you can do something, then you can't."

OTOH, if the car isn't legal for Street, and it wouldn't be super easy to make it legal, CAM is a pretty popular place. Just realize that as you climb the class/category ladder, the cost of being competitive increases as well. Especially at national events which draw the fast cars from much further than a local event. So for any big event, I have a 3-step plan that helps. 1) Have fun. 2) Try not to be slowest in class. 3) If I can't acheive goal #2, see goal #1.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
So for any big event, I have a 3-step plan that helps. 1) Have fun. 2) Try not to be slowest in class. 3) If I can't acheive goal #2, see goal #1.

So many people need to read and adopt this. The semi-pro autocrosser turns into a self-parody a little too often, but the fun/$ ratio should be the goal on the vast majority of parking lot days. Roger isn't standing around handing out contracts at 5pm.

TMO Supporting Vendors