The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

anyone modify factory GT350R Recaro's for anti-sub belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello, I just installed a CMS rollbar and bought the Schroth Profi II ASM 4 point belt. I've been told the HPDE group I run with is going to prohibit 4 point harnesses all together. I am looking to add the Schroth anti sub belt but Schroth says do NOT sit on the anit sub belt. They say I need to modify the seat or replace the seat.

I'm not looking for a debate on whether this is correct, I'm looking to see who's modified their Recaro to allow for the anti sub belt to come up through the seat just below where it clips into the receiver.

thanks!!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The cost to repair the seat after the cut would be more than the cost of a fixed back seat.

Have you considered removing the stock seat and swapping in a racing seat either permanently or for events? You will likely drop some weight and save the stock, Expensive seat.

Just an fyi, you can use sit-on sub belts. I do not know of any hpde organization that prohibits them. See attached PDF for SFI routing.

Attachments

• Seatbelt Installation Guide 06-05-12 (1).pdf
    87.1 KB · Views: 104
The cost to repair the seat after the cut would be more than the cost of a fixed back seat.

Have you considered removing the stock seat and swapping in a racing seat either permanently or for events? You will likely drop some weight and save the stock, Expensive seat.
No, not at this point but I will look into it now.

Just an fyi, you can use sit-on sub belts. I do not know of any hpde organization that prohibits them. See attached PDF for SFI routing.
Thanks, sitting on them seems like the way to go.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Thanks, sitting on them seems like the way to go.
Agree

The manufacturer you talked to also sells systems that "Eliminate" the sub belt. Not unheard of for them to advise against sitting on the sub belt. I sit on the sub belts in my Boss and 350. Agree the "perfect Solution" would be to mount the sub belt through a hole inn the seat. Sitting on the belt is a "Compromise" but not big compromise for me.

Agree

The manufacturer you talked to also sells systems that "Eliminate" the sub belt. Not unheard of for them to advise against sitting on the sub belt. I sit on the sub belts in my Boss and 350. Agree the "perfect Solution" would be to mount the sub belt through a hole inn the seat. Sitting on the belt is a "Compromise" but not big compromise for me.
well the last thing I want to do it cut a hole in my seat. I am leaning towards the bracket @06mach1 makes. I have never participated in a NASA event but have always wanted to. I need to look into what some one else posted on my same thread on Mustang6G forum that NASA might not allow sitting on them.

well the last thing I want to do it cut a hole in my seat. I am leaning towards the bracket @06mach1 makes. I have never participated in a NASA event but have always wanted to. I need to look into what some one else posted on my same thread on Mustang6G forum that NASA might not allow sitting on them.
Hey @Bill Pemberton you mentioned your affiliation with the Great Plains NASA region, do you any thoughts on this and whether NASA lets you sit on the anti-sub? thanks Jim

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No idea , but a lot of the 6 point belts go a bit under your butt. I am in the Central Region of NASA, but have run with Great Plains and Rocky Mountain. All three Regions are great places to race.

Won't the airbag system get a little upset if the replacement seats don't have an air bag? Since my car is street driven I have to be able to pass annual state safety inspection and an airbag light will instantly fail you.

sfo
So lets say you don't want to cut the 350R seat and you don't want a dedicated race seat. What about getting a stock GT seat and cutting that cheap POS up? It might be a direct plug into the 350 wiring. Take a picture of the 350 connector and I can compare it to the one in my 2019 GT which I gutted out to build a racecar.

Won't the airbag system get a little upset if the replacement seats don't have an air bag? Since my car is street driven I have to be able to pass annual state safety inspection and an airbag light will instantly fail you.
not sure replacing it is the way I ‘m interested in going. You are probably correct though.

So lets say you don't want to cut the 350R seat and you don't want a dedicated race seat. What about getting a stock GT seat and cutting that cheap POS up? It might be a direct plug into the 350 wiring. Take a picture of the 350 connector and I can compare it to the one in my 2019 GT which I gutted out to build a racecar.
thanks for the suggestion, I’ll be in touch if I want to look at this option.

TMO Supporting Vendors