The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone modify the side exhaust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I was wondering if anyone has every put short dumps on the side exhaust or any other mods to make them louder? Since I got the magnaflow cat back the back pressure is much less on the side exhaust and made them a little bit quiter looking for ways to make them louder again.

You basically have 4 options:

1) Remove the restrictor plates entirely

2) Remove the restrictor plates and drill the hole larger, replace

3) Buy restrictor plates with the larger hole already in them (several sizes available)

4) Buy electric exhaust cutouts

I replaced my restrictor plates with plates that have a 1/2" hole. Sounds just right to me. Some like it louder.

Justin

oh I know about the plates etc. I have mine removed. I was thinking if you just dump it straight to the ground up by the h-pipe if this would make it louder. Or maybe making a larger pipe to kick it out the sides. I saw some company is making this now for the non bosses. Stainless works I believe. Under the name "kick out pipes" or something.

Maybe it seemed to not be much louder because it was under the car and pointed at the ground?

I'm going to make a set that stick out the side like the old racecars, but haven't started on them yet. It should be louder because the squashed part restricts flow, and I am going to put cones on the end to make it even louder plus I think they look cool. I'm not sure on how big I can put and not drag them everywhere though.

CaliMR said:
Maybe it seemed to not be much louder because it was under the car and pointed at the ground?

They were pointed down and to the side, really it was not too much different. I have never thought the Boss was too loud to drive on the streets with the discs taken out. However it can be a little too much considering the majority of the owners are not kids anymore and for people using it as a DD and want to stay under the radar. My main reason why I choose not to run wide open is because I did not want the Boss to sound like an 18 wheeler on decel. Like everything else those opinions differ and many people are happy with the wide open sound.

From what I heard with my friends car, I do not see the difference in sound to be worth the effort of making shorty pipes.

Sorry Justin, I do not have pics of them, they were just a flange and two short pipes.

I'll still try, I think the megaphone design will make them a lot louder, based on having done it on a bike. It is still aft of the cats so will not be truly racecar loud. I also have a few ideas for the j-brake but unfortunately I believe it is entirely (or at least almost entirely) caused by the smog tune and how it hangs rpms on decel (which is why it is less pronounced on TK tune, and can be eliminated by playing with the throttle but is a pita) and not on the pipe design. Thus louder pipes just let you hear it more. However, my brother thinks it can be suppressed and he is an expert in sound waves. The current pipes do not allow me to try his theory but a non-flattened pipe would. I'm not convinced his way will work, since it is in the tuning of the motor, though a flap system probably would but would be too complex for me to fab and tune. The j-brake prevention pipe would also probably not flow that much better than the current unbaffled one unless I put a bulge in it. But it is all theory now.

Justin...careful you might be entering a catch-22....more sound out the sides, less in the back...more out the back, less out the sides...etc..etc... My wide open sides & GT500 axle backs suit me just fine, but I know you're wanting it just a little more extreme. Be careful before you become a cop magnet.LOL.

Long cone shaped tips, in my experience, make the dumps louder. At least on bikes. My friend has several track bikes, all with full exhaust, and the one with cones is noticeably louder than even the shorty ones. But I will know for sure once I get around to fabbing it. I also just like the look like the old TA cars. I'd do both on one side like NASCAR if it weren't such a pita to build

Justin

302BOB said:
Justin...careful you might be entering a catch-22....more sound out the sides, less in the back...more out the back, less out the sides...etc..etc... My wide open sides & GT500 axle backs suit me just fine, but I know you're wanting it just a little more extreme. Be careful before you become a cop magnet.LOL.
lol yeah I know what you mean. The GT500's plus trackey were what I had and I loved it just want the loudness back out the sides now that I have the magnaflow exhaust. I think that I just need to get the kook's long tubes and there H-pipe that should be plenty loud all around then lol

I had sent an email to kooks a little while back and they replied they now had side exhaust for the boss and even quoted me a price. I asked for photos and a sound clip but never got it. They don't mention them on the website but you might try contacting through email. Maybe you will have better luck than I did. I won't buy sight unseen. I really wanted to hear them too. I saved the email. I will look it up again when I get a chance.

Justin

Steve said:
I had sent an email to kooks a little while back and they replied they now had side exhaust for the boss and even quoted me a price. I asked for photos and a sound clip but never got it. They don't mention them on the website but you might try contacting through email. Maybe you will have better luck than I did. I won't buy sight unseen. I really wanted to hear them too. I saved the email. I will look it up again when I get a chance.
the do have a h-pipe that retains the side exhaust....it only bolts to their long tube headers though....mrt makes one that bolts to the factory tri-y manifolds....

Yes I am aware of the h pipe from kooks but they do make a full exhaust system for the boss including new side pipes. I don't think you will find them on the website for whatever reason but I did find the email they sent me along with 3 pics of the side pipes. They look bigger than stock. The part number is 60-43-side pipes with a MSRP of $595.00
I think the look is awesome because they actually come out farther where they can be seen without bending over and looking underneath. Kind of an oval NASCAR look. I'm not sure how to post the pics on here but if anyone wants to see them I will email to you or contact Todd Fain at Kooks with the part number and he can send you the info. He says they not only change the look but also the sound. [email protected] also i believe they bolt right up to your stock exhaust on the boss.

In the ad it says can replace stock Boss side pipes or use the Kooks H pipes. On sale for $535

KCH60-43-SIDE%20PIPES.jpg

http://store.jpcracing.com/2011-GT-50-KOOKS-Side-Pipes-for-use-with-Kooks-LTs-and-Boss-H_p_1986.html

Someone needs to buy them, put one side on, then do a video walking around the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors