The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone opinions using E85 for Track Days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I recently installed a Lund E85 Flex Tune on my 350R. For those who may not know the tune allows you to run any combination of 93/E85 mix. The fuel trims and timing curve adjust depending on ratio and re-compensates whenever fuel is added to tank. E85 in my area is just under $2.00 a gallon and the car seems to love it!

Curious to know if anyone has experimented with E85 on track days?

I have been running E85 for a full season now and have been very pleased. The added power and lower engine temps are noticeable. I did this at the same time of several other power mods so hard to know the exact impact. The downside is availability near all the tracks, so I carry a lot of fuel with me. The other downside is you burn almost twice as much. This forced me to upgrade my fuel cell to 22 gallons so I can last a 30 minute to 40 minute race.

I've been running E85 the last 3 years as well. More power and it runs cooler. You do burn more, but I am not out there running 30 minute races either. I noticed this last year some stations only mix to E70 where others are at E80-85 and that makes a difference as well. Another plus is if you are not running cats you don't have the gasy smell in your clothes after driving as well.

I think @Fabman uses E85 in his track monster.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Been running e85 for about 5 years. I'll never go back to racing gasoline.
More power, cooler temps, safer for the motor, not to mention 3 bucks a gallon compared to 10...so I burn a little more fuel, who cares?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Thanks...seems like a win win. As long as it readily available in my area I'll be all over it. Once I have a chance to experiment with the tune I'll be sure to share my findings. From what I've viewed it looks like you can mix pretty heavily with 93 and still reap most of its benefits...at least on the Lund tune.

Thanks...seems like a win win. As long as it readily available in my area I'll be all over it. Once I have a chance to experiment with the tune I'll be sure to share my findings. From what I've viewed it looks like you can mix pretty heavily with 93 and still reap most of its benefits...at least on the Lund tune.
Be sure to get a percent tester. They are cheap and easy to use. I found the percents vary widely and thankfully I found a station that has consistent 85 and sometimes higher. This time of the year is challenging to find the higher percent as E85 does not like cold weather so a lot of stations lower to 70 to help with this problem, at least in cold MN :cool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTSIEZQ/?tag=tmo302-20

Agreed with @Fabman.
I as well run E85, only swapped out my injectors to 47lbs and had it tuned(dual maps), not completely satisfied with the tune but that's a different story o_O.

Keep in mind E85 has a tendency to contain and attract water, therefore can rust your fuel system. Had this problem in my 2007 STI.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes, ethanol is "Hygroscopic" so you want to make sure fuel jugs are sealed tight and fuel is replaced in the fuel tank regularly. Burn it up and get new fuel-don't let it sit. Also if you have a dual map you should run a few loads of gasoline to rinse the tank every so often to get rid of any moisture. I've run e85 for about 5 years on a stock tank (no gasoline ever) and had almost no rusting when I replaced it with a fuel cell, but I'm careful. I have a 55 gal drum that I pump out of. Any fuel left over from the track goes right back in the drum. I don't let it sit in jugs or with the cap off, but I don't drain the fuel tank either. Raw aluminum doesn't like e85 so make sure any aluminum parts in the fuel system are anodized. Also no paper filters. Use a stainless steel screen type filter. You may need bigger pumps or a boosta pump and bigger injectors and of course a new tune. Boosted cars will benefit way more from e85 but N/A applications benefit as well, just not to the same degree. Fuel consumption isn't all that bad. They say 20% more than gasoline in a street application. I typically run 20 min sessions at Laguna Seca on about 6 gallons of fuel and I have way more motor than most. Of course, your mileage may vary. ;) I have a test tube for testing ethanol content but didn't have much luck with it, so I installed an inline fuel meter with a readout on the dash. I used to have a flex fuel F150 so if I didn't like the fuel I just poured it in the truck. Last few years fuel content has been pretty stable around here so it's not been a problem. Something to think about, when the fuel content is below e85 it gets richer-not leaner, so it won't burn up the motor, it'll just be fat....so there's that.

Last edited:

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Fabman, what did you end with for injector size and fuel pumps. I've considered going to E85 but I'm not thrilled about buying another fuel system upgrade.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman, what did you end with for injector size and fuel pumps. I've considered going to E85 but I'm not thrilled about buying another fuel system upgrade.
Mind you, at the time I was making almost 700/700 at the wheel.
I am at low boost now for 650/575 so the demand is less. I was using a lethal performance return style system and ID 1000 injectors with dual walbro pumps. I am now using a fuel cell with an external pump. Let me dig up a pic-I forget the brand.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It's a Weldon pump. Super loud so I wouldn't recommend it.

20664150_10155588540708535_2387416711009563506_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
A milder motor can get by with a gt500 pump. As always, consult your tuner for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Nice setup...as always.

I've got gt500 pumps now. I've seen conflicting reports about whether that is enough or not. Maybe adding a boost a pump would be sufficient. Something to think about for later. I'm more or less satisfied with 93 octane.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nice setup...as always.

I've got gt500 pumps now. I've seen conflicting reports about whether that is enough or not. Maybe adding a boost a pump would be sufficient. Something to think about for later. I'm more or less satisfied with 93 octane.
I'm no tuner, but I know a guy with a 550 whp 3 valve w/GT500 pumps and no boosta pump and he's drag racing it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I have a fuel pressure gauge and I put a go pro on it at the track to watch for fluctuations.
I imagine that would be one way to see if you have enough pressure/volume.
In my case I have way more than necessary so I'm good to go.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nice setup...as always.

Northern California....no 93 octane here.
91 at best....and I think they are lying about that too.
91 octane to e85 ia 100 hp for me at 9 psi. 150 at 15 psi.

TMO Supporting Vendors