The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone opinions using E85 for Track Days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm making 485 RWHP with GT500 pumps on 91 octane in my 3V, 9 psi. Zero problems, except I'm kinda slow ;)
Might be fine....might need a boosta pump but that GT 500 pump should be plenty.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kripes that pump is loud! I've had chainsaws that were quieter than that!:eek:
You should hear it driving through the paddock, it's louder than the exhaust.
Forget about talking to a passenger....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here you go:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia

Really sweet setup as everything I've viewed on your car. Back in the late 90's I had a 90' Saleen with an A trim Vortech, 110lph pump in tank with a T-Rex inline. The T Rex howled like crazy! I went to a larger pump in the tank, the increase in volume at the back of the inline pump cut the noise in half.

E85 seems to be a perfect match for road racing, as long as you have enough tank space to accommodate the extra usage. And the availability for that matter. I thought about doing it since my 3v needs all the extra power it can get, but it's nowhere to be found up here aside from a couple places. Each one is at least a 30 minute drive, plus I like to drive to the track when I can which again makes it near impossible. We run E85 in our drag racing cars however, much easier to manage the amount and the power potential it offers is silly.

Here are my dyno#'s on E85.
Mostly stock besides o/r x pipe and 47lb injectors. Keep in mind this is on a mustang dyno which tends to read a tad lower.

Attachments

• chris mejia mustang.jpg
    chris mejia mustang.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 174
How much fuel are you guys burning on a 30 minute hpde session. I have an S550 with flex fuel. Car runs better on E85. But I would have to bring it with. There is an E85 Pump 5 minutes down the road from my local road course. So I can run over there in between sessions and/or put 2-3 5gal jugs in the back seat.

As my fuel gauge is not reading correctly I keep accurate usage records of my fuel so I know where I am at. I am buring .4 gallons per minute of E85, sometimes a hair less than that. Thus 30 minutes is 11 to 12 gallons. Hopefully you can find a different option than carrying fuel jugs in the back seat as that is very dangerous. I am fortunate to trailer my car and have an auxiliary 40 gallon tank in my pickup bed.

Sorry to revive a post from the dead, but I've dug around and haven't found much on a solid flex fuel e85 setup on the coyote family. Anything exist yet? I wouldn't mind putting a 50 gallon fuel tank in the trailer with a hand pump and move away from $10/gal 100 octane.

Just trying to keep a bolt-on 2011 coyote engine happy. Don't want to worry about ethanol concentrations or commit to e85 only...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Lots of great info here and I have been contemplating switching over to E-85 since my son runs it in his EVO 9 with no issues. Nice info from ls110 and Fabman , because a fuel cell is in my future ( maybe 2020 future, though ). I seem to be using about 5 gallons in a 25 minute NASA race , but at $10.00 a gallon for 100 octane , E-85 makes huge economic sense!? The car runs cool enough , but the benefits may prove useful on a super hot Summer race? Look foreard to seeing Godzilla at the Mustang Roundup and am planning to lasso his rear wing , so I can keep up with him around the track.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Lots of great info here and I have been contemplating switching over to E-85 since my son runs it in his EVO 9 with no issues. Nice info from ls110 and Fabman , because a fuel cell is in my future ( maybe 2020 future, though ). I seem to be using about 5 gallons in a 25 minute NASA race , but at $10.00 a gallon for 100 octane , E-85 makes huge economic sense!? The car runs cool enough , but the benefits may prove useful on a super hot Summer race? Look foreard to seeing Godzilla at the Mustang Roundup and am planning to lasso his rear wing , so I can keep up with him around the track.
If it runs cool enough you can close up the grill opening a bit and trade some parasitic drag for additional downforce. ;-)

My plan is to contact Shaun at AED here in the near future to ask that exact question.

I'll save you some time. Just got off the phone with him. Not sure what car you're in, but for my 2011 GT, he said flex fuel is doable with nothing more than injectors. Determination of ethanol content relies on a/f ratio. I triple asked him just to verify there was nothing else needed and difference concentrations of ethanol are no issue.

That's pretty encouraging/cool.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Yep, that's good. I have a 16 GT with a GT350 intake and throttle body. I wanted to discuss things with him like linear throttle response in the tune ( I don't' like sensitive throttles in tunes -especially mid corner) and if he can tune for the larger throttle body or if he recommends stock.

I know this thread has not been posted on for quite some time but have a question and looking for input please. My 2012 GT is tuned on E85 - 2018 manifold, 47lb injectors, Pypes long tubes , cat delete with Pypes off-road X pipe. This was all done prior to me purchasing. The previous owner said it dyno'd at 437WHP and was going to be a street drag car. I have no Idea what is on this car, partially nervous and just need to know my car better than hearsay. I have a dilemma and do not know if I would be able to transport extra fuel. From what I am seeing I'm going to need maybe 30+ gallons of extra fuel if I include the drive to and from the track ( 45min each way) and would maybe end up doing say 3 20 min sessions. If and when I decide to track I can not seem to find any fuel stations that are close to Pitt Race. If there is one that I missed I would be concerned of their E85 content. I'm trying to use the same fuel station right now and will be purchasing a tester just to make sure that the station is consistent . I spoke with the original tuner looking for information and maybe who or what program was used but really could not get any info from him other than I would loose 15-20 hp if detuned to 93 and wanted me to get my car to the dyno again.

I would be brand new to track. Does this look like a reasonable plan. There is a local tuner that has a dyno and works directly with Lund. I have to get a custom tune done one way or another before I push the car for my piece of mind and to be safe. I know it's going to be expensive but it is what it is...

Contact Lund before I even plan to schedule a shop appointment and see if they can do the below...

1. Get the car to the tuner with tested E85 in the tank and have Lund do an E85 tune - 6-7 gal in the tank.
2. Add a fuel dump program to so I can drain the E85 while I am there. Prep for attaching the drain hose way before I go to the shop and have empty tanks ready.
3. See if Lund can do a 93 tune while I am there - Take 5 gal of tested 93 so Lund know the actual content.
4. Potentially leave the car at the 93 tune with the decreased HP until I gain some track abilities. I don't think the detune would be a bad thing for me since I am new. I do love the smell of the E85 when stopping at a red light though! o_O There's no doubt the car is tuned for performance and hates lugging below 2500 RPM.
5. ?

Thoughts, Comments, Ideas, Alternate lines of logic ? Any experienced input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Mark

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I know this thread has not been posted on for quite some time but have a question and looking for input please. My 2012 GT is tuned on E85 - 2018 manifold, 47lb injectors, Pypes long tubes , cat delete with Pypes off-road X pipe. This was all done prior to me purchasing. The previous owner said it dyno'd at 437WHP and was going to be a street drag car. I have no Idea what is on this car, partially nervous and just need to know my car better than hearsay. I have a dilemma and do not know if I would be able to transport extra fuel. From what I am seeing I'm going to need maybe 30+ gallons of extra fuel if I include the drive to and from the track ( 45min each way) and would maybe end up doing say 3 20 min sessions. If and when I decide to track I can not seem to find any fuel stations that are close to Pitt Race. If there is one that I missed I would be concerned of their E85 content. I'm trying to use the same fuel station right now and will be purchasing a tester just to make sure that the station is consistent . I spoke with the original tuner looking for information and maybe who or what program was used but really could not get any info from him other than I would loose 15-20 hp if detuned to 93 and wanted me to get my car to the dyno again.

I would be brand new to track. Does this look like a reasonable plan. There is a local tuner that has a dyno and works directly with Lund. I have to get a custom tune done one way or another before I push the car for my piece of mind and to be safe. I know it's going to be expensive but it is what it is...

Contact Lund before I even plan to schedule a shop appointment and see if they can do the below...

1. Get the car to the tuner with tested E85 in the tank and have Lund do an E85 tune - 6-7 gal in the tank.
2. Add a fuel dump program to so I can drain the E85 while I am there. Prep for attaching the drain hose way before I go to the shop and have empty tanks ready.
3. See if Lund can do a 93 tune while I am there - Take 5 gal of tested 93 so Lund know the actual content.
4. Potentially leave the car at the 93 tune with the decreased HP until I gain some track abilities. I don't think the detune would be a bad thing for me since I am new. I do love the smell of the E85 when stopping at a red light though! o_O There's no doubt the car is tuned for performance and hates lugging below 2500 RPM.
5. ?

Thoughts, Comments, Ideas, Alternate lines of logic ? Any experienced input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Mark
Let me start by saying I have been on e85 for many many years and would have it no other way.....however:
In your situation I would not bother. Use pump premium and get your feet wet with the track and the car.
15 hp isn't going to matter, its more about driving and brakes/suspension than anything else.
Now when the weather gets hot and you have honed your skills on track and you have a reliable way to safely transport fuel you can re visit the idea. You'll find that the car runs much cooler, but for now it's just not going to be helpful.
Buy track brake pads and hi temp brake fluid and learn the track and car.

TMO Supporting Vendors