The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone run non-XL rated tires on the rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need to replace the Pirellis that came on the stock wheels. I'm going to stick with the stock sizes.

I can get Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position 255/40R19 100Y XL for the front for $220 and 285/35R19 99Y for $225 for the rear. From what I understand, the 99Y is plenty of load rating for the Mustang, but Ford decided to go with the XL versions on the Boss. I guess once the load rating hits 100 the tire is designated "XL".

I will track these tires 3-4 times per year. I know the PSS is supposed to be a bit better, but they are 40% more money, too.

Any opinions?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
For me tHe SO4's were great street tires, had no problem with them at all as long as you do not track them. I went from SO4s in 275/35-19 fronts and 285/35-19 rears to Dunlop DZ2 in 275/35-19 square and dropped nearly 2 seconds at the track.

The SO4 started to deform quite quickly and after one session looked like they were melting! apart from that, great ride and rain tire. Honestly I think four track days is all you would get out of them. For comparison I got 12 track days out of the Dunlops, times went up after that, but they still have meat on them.

I really didn't want a 200 tire for street use, since I only track the car 3-4 times per year.

I'll keep the Dunlop in mind. Are you running them on the stock rims? Regular Boss 9/9.5 or the LS 9/10 inch?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
coboss said:
I really didn't want a 200 tire for street use, since I only track the car 3-4 times per year.

I'll keep the Dunlop in mind. Are you running them on the stock rims? Regular Boss 9/9.5 or the LS 9/10 inch?
Just on the regular Boss 9 and 9.5 rims. Now I have a set of 18x10 drifts for my track tires. Maybe a set of bfgs or conti DW would be a better bet?. I have a set of Pss tires for street now Hoping they last a long time!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Someone mentioned Conti DW's and I keep these on my OEM Boss black wagon wheels. For the money the Conti DW's are a good tire, great tires on wet roads, and for a couple of track days per year should be fine. You might not set any track PB's but a decent dry tire.

Toyo Proxies1 are decent track tires but for me they got slippery at 5/32's. For sizes the 285/35 Proxies1 are a fat tire, about 1/2" wider than my 285 Conti DW's. The Toyos are pictured below.

I just purchased a set of BMW M5 spec MPSS to run on my 19/9 19/10 wheels, (sig pic to replace the Toyo's), and even the Wifie noticed a difference on one of our little performance jaunts. These exceed my expectation, but like you said they are 1/3 more expensive.

Some of the other tires I checked out were the MT Super Streets, and the BF Goodrich G Force Rivals. You can check those out too. I do like the looks of the G Force Rivals, and there are some threads on this forum for them.

Good luck with your search.
Dave

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Calif boss302 said:
I'm getting MT Street Comps mounted today as we speak. Should be a nice upgrade from my original PZeros

Calif Boss 302:

I have a Boss Bud in Colorado, and to my knowledge he has been happy with his choice of the same set of tires. It is always nice running a new set tires on the Boss.

Regards, and let us know how you like them.
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Mad Hatter said:
Just on the regular Boss 9 and 9.5 rims. Now I have a set of 18x10 drifts for my track tires. Maybe a set of bfgs or conti DW would be a better bet?. I have a set of Pss tires for street now Hoping they last a long time!

I love my Continental DWs in stock size on stock wheels. They are great street tires. My car is basically a nice weather daily driver that will go to a few AutoX events each summer and usually 2 or 3 trips to the drag strip for some fun runs.

The DWs work perfect for my purposes. I don't think I would want them for an open track though. The sidewalls are a little soft. You can really feel the delay in steering response in tight slaloms on an AutoX course. Otherwise, dry traction is awesome, rain performance is confidence inspiring, and the ride is comfortable.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
302 Hi Pro said:
Calif Boss 302:

I have a Boss Bud in Colorado, and to my knowledge he has been happy with his choice of the same set of tires. It is always nice running a new set tires on the Boss.

Regards, and let us know how you like them.
Dave
302 Hi Pro

I do indeed like my MTSCs. Not great wet but for a tire that performs great on the street and adequate for my track needs, my only other choice would have been the Michelin Pilot SS but at the tyme I needed rubber, the MPSS were backordered. You'll get decent wear on them as well, better than the P-Zeros.

TMO Supporting Vendors