The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone Run R6's yet on track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been reading through the posts and was hoping someone can shed some insight on running Hoosier R6's on their Boss.

I have extensive experience with Hoosier R6's but not on a mustang. I am thinking of running the following setup - Am I on the right track?

On Boss 302S Wheels:
Front 19x9 will mount 265/35 19 R6's
Rear 19x10 will mount 295/35 19 R6's

Anyone running this setup?

Anyone running R6's with a different setup? Feedback?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have this setup sitting in my garage. I've been running my other track wheels so far on the Boss. I'll be running the Hoosiers for at least one session this weekend at BIR.

**edit** I have the 295/30/19 on the 19 x 10 rears. The 295/35/19 is 27.3" tall so it's .4" taller than the stock tire.

Well long time coming, but here's my report. I hauled these to the track 3 times but always had just enough of my Nittos left that I never broke them out. I have to admit I was skeptical, not of the tires, but of the wheels. I have been running 18 x 10.5 rear and 18 x 9.5 front Enkei PF01s with a 305/35/18 and 285/35/18 Nitto tire. The R6s are 295/30/19 and 265/35/19 on 19 x 10 and 19 x 9 Boss 302S wheels. My concern was I'm giving up 20mm in the front and 10mm in the back and 10 lbs more per wheel.

Well the results are in and they were impressive. I ran a full two seconds faster on the R6s than the r-compound Nittos. I was way overinflated after the first session. I'm used to running the Nittos pretty high (low 40s) and had to drop a lot of air out of the R6s as the day went on. Once I got them back down to around 37 front and 35 rear HOT, they were even faster. Tire budget has just gone up. It's going to be hard to go back to a Nitto r-comp tire after this :(

Wow I can't believe it took you three months to try them out. My nails have been gone for two months. :D

I have run the r6s in the same size as Gary. They are quite good... I did two days at VIR on them and the tires still have lots of life left. I was pushing fairly hard but I think I could go a bit harder. It was my first time at the track....

Just put the Hoosiers on my car today.I must say its like doing crack! Once you try it your hooked!
Its a different animal with the Hoosiers!
Ya ,I’m hooked!

roketman said:
Just put the Hoosiers on my car today.I must say its like doing crack! Once you try it your hooked!
Ya ,I’m hooked!

I have been doing a lot of thinking and next year I think I will move up to the R6's with DTC pads. I do not regret learning on the NT05's and they still work for me but I am getting to the point of driving better and these would make it more fun ;D Still I would recommend to beginners to start on a street tire like the Nitto NT05.

2012YellowBoss said:
roketman said:
Ya ,I’m hooked!

I have been doing a lot of thinking and next year I think I will move up to the R6's with DTC pads. I do not regret learning on the NT05's and they still work for me but I am getting to the point of driving better and these would make it more fun ;D Still I would recommend to beginners to start on a street tire like the Nitto NT05.
I love it Scott. You're going to be more hooked than me by next year! Good thing you don't have to take the winter off. Oh well, at least I'll have time to replenish my tire and brake budget. ;D

cloud9 said:
I love it Scott. You're going to be more hooked than me by next year! Good thing you don't have to take the winter off. Oh well, at least I'll have time to replenish my tire and brake budget. ;D

Still don't know why you guys think I am hooked ??? ::) ;D

I do think I got a better experience out of the street tires. It would have been nice to start on something like the Hoosiers but only if someone handed me keys to their car.

I still have a way to go but I think you learn limits with street tire and hopefully that will make me a better driver knowing where you can push it and what those limits are.

Scott I don't know your skill level so please don't be offended.... Unless you can squeeze every last 10th of a second out of street tires I wouldn't recommend going to slicks. The only reason I have a set is I got a killer deal on them and I was running with a private group of stellar cars and great drivers...... I will remain on street tires for a bit longer..... If you can get someone who really knows what they are doing some seat time in your car. If you are arounrd that time go ahead and move up. If not.....

I have a pretty good idea of where I am at. I will have more seat time by the time I use up all my parts. The Hoosier are a good choice for me because of sizes. I would like to use Nitto NT01's but because of the rear size (or lack of) I will not. I may try some 01's on the front with the last of the 05's I have for the back for a couple of runs.

I must also say the carbotech xp 20’s fronts an the xp16’s rear are the best track pads I have ever used .No heat soaking ,firm pedal ,minimal brake dust .In fact a lot less than any other track pad I have used.An excellent product.

TMO Supporting Vendors